Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend Numbers (Jan 2-4)

Special message from Katniss to Marvel headquarters :

tumblr_nhh4fxIACX1sofu3ho1_500.png

Katniss surprises again and triumphs agaisnt all odds by getting the domestic crown on the finish line.

Good.

It means there s still a hunger for the Mockingjay.

Let s hope her fairwell will be glorious like 450m dom glorious and 900m ww.

I think even 400m dom would be pretty darn good for MJ2 after MJ1's still huge drop from CF.

Mockingjay 2 likely won't reach 400m

Save for posterity.

As a I said in the Mockingjay Part I thread, the particularity of the Hunger Games franchise is that all 3 first episodes were predicted wrong by the consensus.

THe consensus now is that MJ2 won't rebound enough to reach 400m again because MJ1 fell so hard.

Can you see a pattern emerging here ?

Edited by The Futurist

MJ2 is really up in the air.

It could have that "finale" factor and go out with the biggest OW and possibly surpass CF DOM.

or

Due to the drop to MJ1, it could go higher but not as high as some think. Perhaps maybe people are over THG? Maybe after Pt. 1 not being actiony, people might wait to see MJ2. (then again legs would prove otherwise).

I think as long as MJ2 hit's 380M, I'll live. I'll hope for that 400M though.

• Like 1

Special message from Katniss to Marvel headquarters :

tumblr_nhh4fxIACX1sofu3ho1_500.png

Katniss surprises again and triumphs agaisnt all odds by getting the domestic crown on the finish line.

Good.

It means there s still a hunger for the Mockingjay.

Let s hope her farewell will be glorious like 450m dom glorious and 900m ww.

:bravo:

MJ2 wil be the biggest movie of the quadrilogy by far scale wise when you know the events that are occuring.

The trailers will have money shots  which Part 1 hadn't very much.

Basically Lionsgate tried to sell MJ1 as an epic finale which will be in fact MJ2.

And if Katniss hadn't suffered enough, it will be the most tragic film  of the 4 ( because of  :o ) even though the 3 first ones were not exactly picnic for her either.

Like I said, the consensus was wrong for the first 3 films.

Let s see if this trend continues for the finale.

No. MJ1 still fell under a large amount of expectations regardless of where it finishes so the finale isn't locked for over 400m like many thought

No. MJ1 still fell under a large amount of expectations regardless of where it finishes so the finale isn't locked for over 400m like many thought

Go check my post in the MJ thread, you are understanding my point backwards.

That's the point. HG films thus far have been unpredictable.

Edited by Aplandg
  • Like 1

I want to hope it will be the biggest, I just also hope that the huge drop for MJ1 wasn't due to people losing interest in the series.

Anything is possible, MJ1 had no games.

The thing is I think, in hindsight, that doing 340m-ish with what MJ1 is as a film, a claustrophobic( most of the movie happens underground), grey ( rumble is not sexy), slow, not pretty, political movie with a completely distraught heroine who tries her best to fullfill her destiny, I find it remarkable. MJ1 is not a polite movie, it s just a dark and brooding film without the "fun" of huge action set pieces to counterbalance the desperate tone of the movie. I mean one of the key scene of the movie is

the  rebels comitting a mass suicide, terrorist attack against a dam, singing Katniss ' The Hanging Tree song as a desperate chant

, that s not a kind of scene you see often in a 300m + grosser ...

What I am trying to say is that, if MJ1 existed outside of the HG franchise, people would be surprised that such a film did the business it did.

There is no doubt that the exictement of the first two films came from the games themselves, in fact both films marketing campaigns stopped at the end of the countdown of the beginning of the games.

• Like 2

MJ1 may have lost 10 million admissions from the previous film. I don't think MJ2 will be able to gain them back. I am pretty sure that once you adjust for 3D HP8 gained no more than 6-7 million admissions over HP7. If MJ2 follows HP8 then it should make around $400 million.

Edited by TLK

MJ1 may have lost 10 million admissions from the previous film. I don't think MJ2 will be able to gain them back. I am pretty sure that once you adjust for 3D HP8 gained no more than 6-7 million admissions over HP7. If MJ2 follows HP8 then it should make around $400 million.

400m is unlikely, SW7 is gonna slice off its late legs.  Plus, DH1 seems to have been received much better than MJ1, and MJ2 is still the second half of a shit book.

MJ1 had no marketing (worth a damn), is a part 1, and was an extremely unorthodox blockbuster that outright lacked any action. Yet it's having the best legs of the franchise. That alone tells me the interest is not gone at all, and the franchise will be back in full swing for MJ2 next year. There will be marketing this time. There will be action to market. There will be a final factor. And most of all there will be goodwill from three movies in a row that have been very well received by the GA. 400 is absolutely happening. Above or below CF is the real question.

• Like 5