3. The Departed

4. The Hurt Locker

5. Argo

6. Slumdog Millionaire

7. Birdman

8. The King's Speech

9. The Artist

10. Crash

I guess I can finally say goodbye to putting Million Dollar Baby at the bottom of my 'last ten winners' lists. :(

• Like 1

The Truman Show should have been nominated. It was a much better movie than Shakespeare in Love.

Definitely. It's better than 4/5 of the nominees. Still stings that Jim Carrey wasn't nominated. he coulda won that over that goofy-ass life is beautiful guy who was never in a movie again easy.

• Like 6

Last ten winners:

1. No Country For Old Men

2. 12 Years a Slave

3. The Departed

4. The Hurt Locker

5. Argo

6. Slumdog Millionaire

7. Birdman

8. The King's Speech

9. The Artist

10. Crash

I guess I can finally say goodbye to putting Million Dollar Baby at the bottom of my 'last ten winners' lists. :(

Crash is definitely the worst winner in recent Academy history.

Heres a problem I have with the Oscars: the acting category. They all feel the same. A bunch of tesry eyed shouting. I thought Leo was the best last year, but I didnt mind McC winning because his performance in DBC was so smooth and straight-forward, compared to the entire cast of AH. A bunch of shouting and yelling. Jlaw shouldve been nominated for CF, not AH. Same with Emma Stones montage last night: just her yelling.

I dont get it. I dont. There are many great performances and many great performance styles. I dont understand why anyone who can do a shouty performance in any mid to low budget movie released from October-January can, what feels like, be automatically included. I cant be the only one who feels this way?

• Like 6

Heres a problem I have with the Oscars: the acting category. They all feel the same. A bunch of tesry eyed shouting. I thought Leo was the best last year, but I didnt mind McC winning because his performance in DBC was so smooth and straight-forward, compared to the entire cast of AH. A bunch of shouting and yelling. Jlaw shouldve been nominated for CF, not AH. Same with Emma Stones montage last night: just her yelling.

I dont get it. I dont. There are many great performances and many great performance styles. I dont understand why anyone who can do a shouty performance in any mid to low budget movie released from October-January can, what feels like, be automatically included. I cant be the only one who feels this way?

You're not the only one who feels that way :)

Although frankly I think the issue doesnt just apply to acting but to plenty of other categories too.

• Like 1

SiL sucks. SPR is an all-time great! One of the biggest screw ups ever by the Academy. Hopefully, Spielberg & Hanks can win with St. James Place.

Spielberg has 3 oscars and Hanks has 2. they're not exactly wanting.

btw I know St. James Place won't win because the exact same thing that happened with Lincoln... and War Horse... and Munich... and Catch Me If You Can, will happen. people are already all like "spielberg it's gonna win" like they were with those movies but naaahh.

I think a lot of times (not all) the performances are more than just emotional, testy teary-eyed shouting. But the Acedemy just chose those montage to be shown cause they're more showy. Edited by Sam
  • Like 2

Spielberg has 3 oscars and Hanks has 2. they're not exactly wanting.

btw I know St. James Place won't win because the exact same thing that happened with Lincoln... and War Horse... and Munich... and Catch Me If You Can, will happen. people are already all like "spielberg it's gonna win" like they were with those movies but naaahh.

Munich and Catch Me if You Can winning would have been great and well deserved.

• Like 1

Munich and Catch Me if You Can winning would have been great and well deserved.

No way for Munich. Brokeback Mountain is without doubt the best film that year.

As for Catch Me if You Can - up against LotR, The Pianist, Chicago, I don't see why it should have won. Though clearly the snub there was Attack of the Clones.

Edited by treeroy

The increase in BP slots hasn't done much to allow bigger movies in.

My guess is adding more slots would bring us a bunch of Mr. Turners before we could get a superhero movie, a YA movie or a comedy.

My sense is that the academy believes their niche is intrinsically better than everything else. It's fine to have some bias, but that ruins any claim to judging quality

• Like 1

Sandra Bullocks performance in Blind Side. I want more performances like that. Clearly not a baity performance. She was assigned to play Leigh anne Tuey, a southern, headstrong, soccer mom, and she did. Alot of actors nominated take who theyre supposed to be and go overboard, hence the shouting and yelling, and what feels out of characterness to me.

I know Im not a professional actor, and cant tell these people what to do, but its just something I notice year in and year out and I cant roll my eyes any harder. Just play your part, dont play the Academys part. The acedmy needs to diversify with that. Again, dont just pick the best thespian-esque performances from October-January, pick who play their character the best, not the hammiest.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1