CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

GOTG and DOFP are ok-ish. But why the hell did CA2 get a nom?! That is not even special effects heavy or memorable in any way from that POV. It's just stupid.

The end of Cap featured good effects when they decided to blow everything up but it didn't compare to the spectacle in TF4. They never get it right anyways which is why less and less people are caring about the Oscars. Ill never forget the time The Golden Compass beat out At Worlds End and Transformers 1 for best VFX lol.

I loved GOTG but even ill admit that most of the effects in that film looked cheap. Rocket and Groot looked pretty good but nothing outstanding, we've seen far better in the past.

Edited by jessie

There was no Lego snub.  It just simply wasn't good enough to be nominated.

There was no Selma snub.  It just didn't resonate with the academy.  Critical praise does not determine Oscar nominations.

Keaton is locked to win best actor.

Simmons should be locked to win supporting actor

I think Boyhood and Birdman will split best director/picture.

• Like 1

And Jessie's right about VFX from Transformers, it kills pretty much everything.  I guess Bay and Paramount will have to cry into their billion dollar pile of money.

• Like 2

There was no Lego snub.  It just simply wasn't good enough to be nominated.

There was no Selma snub.  It just didn't resonate with the academy.  Critical praise does not determine Oscar nominations.

Keaton is locked to win best actor.

Simmons should be locked to win supporting actor

I think Boyhood and Birdman will split best director/picture.

Baumer, here's the deal. Even if you didn't you like LEGO, it was the frontrunner for the award.

It's the equivalent of Keaton, Simmons, Arquette, or Moore being snubbed for their respective categories.

It's a fucking snub.

• Like 1

Says who?

The Academy really dances to their own beat. All this other stuff is magical hand-waving. It was a big surprise to me that it didn't make the cut, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

The only place it hasn't won is the Globes. That makes it the frontrunner based on the past.

If it had been nominated and but then not won, I'd have freaked out but not to the same extent I am currently. The Academy does have a history of giving it to undeserving Scottish animated films under the legitimate best animated film of the year according to most of society/celebrities

• Like 1

Shockwaves not only hit the room but among those working on rival films — the ones that did get nominated. A Disney source emailed me immediately, “WHAT? No  Lego? Big Hero 6 can win now!” A source connected with DreamWorks Animation’s How To Train Your Dragon 2 said virtually the same thing. With the 800-lb. Lego Movie out of the way, they expect to go for the win. No movie has been enjoying more of a roller-coaster awards ride than Dragon 2. Last week it was shut out of a BAFTA nomination, but then Sunday night it became the surprise winner of the Animated Feature Golden Globe, something DWA chief Jeffrey Katzenberg predicted to me he would probably lose since they had previously gone 0-for-10 with the HFPA. Not to be outdone, a campaign source with Focus Features’ and Laika’s The Boxtrolls also was busy with emails. “I am stunned I can’t even think straight. Totally new animation race now…we are in it to win it. Game on!”  Indeed.

From the Deadline article; proves that the animation industry in Hollywood expected a nom for LEGO

In my opinion, The Lego Movie is one of the visually innovative animated movies of all time. And it's good. What are they looking for?

@philiplord: This is not a tragedy. Congrats to incredible crew and cast of The Lego Movie." It should have been in the race, though.

• Like 2

The only place it hasn't won is the Globes. That makes it the frontrunner based on the past.

If it had been nominated and but then not won, I'd have freaked out but not to the same extent I am currently. The Academy does have a history of giving it to undeserving Scottish animated films under the legitimate best animated film of the year according to most of society/celebrities

My point is that the other awards are all critics awards. The Academy is a very specific, separate body that doesn't have any crossover with the critics groups (and only partial crossover with other guilds). Is it really that much of a surprise that a group of generally older voters (older sensibilities, interests, ideas about art, etc) would not be as interested in a pop-culture mashup -- based on a series of toys -- that deals with tropes and genres they're not that fond of anyway (no matter how well it's made)?

But that doesn't mean anything. Neither does Seth Rogan's opinion.

The fact that three of the studios now think they have a shot certainly does show that they expected Lego to get nominated. 

Really, read what I said in the last page, that is why Lego was probably snubbed but most people, including other rivals wouldn't have been able to see it because all of these people are on the same page. They are younger, definitely know about Legos, appreciate what the message is, the context etc.

There are certain movies that work to a greater degree, in fact all movies do, when they have similar situational/emotional etc issues that resonate with a certain group. For example, if there was no racism in the UK, a black person there would probably not be able to really feel as much for Selma as African Americans as they have grown up never experiencing racism. 

• Like 1

My point is that the other awards are all critics awards. The Academy is a very specific, separate body that doesn't have any crossover with the critics groups (and only partial crossover with other guilds). Is it really that much of a surprise that a group of generally older voters (older sensibilities, interests, ideas about art, etc) would not be as interested in a pop-culture mashup -- based on a series of toys -- that deals with tropes and genres they're not that fond of anyway (no matter how well it's made)?

It's not a surprise if it didn't win. They've already proved that in the past with Wreck-It Ralph's loss. The surprise is that despite the technical innovations and widely praised storytelling of LEGO, it didn't even get a nom. The freaking Boxtrolls got a nom over it

Yes, I realize Boxtrolls isn't really a surprise seeing how the Academy has a hard-on for stop-motion. That said, Big Hero 6. How does that get a nom over LEGO? It's the same thing; pop culture mashup (in this case superheroes) that is a genre they hate no matter how well it's made. The only difference is LEGO has much, much better animation, which is kinda what the animation branch is supposed to judge

But that doesn't mean anything. Neither does Seth Rogan's opinion.

Seth Rogen's a member of the Academy who should be joining the animation branch in a few years after SAUSAGE PARTY. Although, I guess that doesn't really matter.

Bird is a two time winner of the category though so it totally counts.

• Like 1

I keep reading that for the Animated Feature, a group of other members from other associations within the Academy also gets a vote.

They watch the shortlisted films and decide, I guess, in addition to the actual animation association. That could explain some of it. 

I think Documentary, Foreign and Animated films are the only ones with shortlists right? Also VFX.

edit: The first three all apparently are nominated in the same way, association + random group, as opposed to acting/directing/cinematography/editing etc

Edited by BK007