Impact

2015 Best Picture predictions!

I'm going to be disappointed if Chris Pratt does not present a Oscar while riding a dino :P

On a serious note they should have someone from JW present a Oscar due to how big it was. (Pratt is one of my favorite young actors out there right now)

Edited by Impact
  • Like 1

Since Steve Jobs and Bridge of Spies are both getting noms I can only see one of Star Wars, inside Out, Mad Max and The Martian getting in. Despite better judgement I am going with Star Wars. 

Caine and Sorrentino are having an extended Q&A and Caine is getting a tributeish thing. Maybe Youth will become the player I really want to be. :) 

This is one of the most unpredictable years for me.

I really need the light of precursors to have a proper idea of who will be finally nommed

But if I had to guess I would say that the nominees will be Spotlight, Carol, Joy, Inside Out, Brooklyn, Revenant, Steve Jobs and Bridge of Spies. Room or Youth fighting for a place. And Hateful/Mad Max fighting for the last spot.

But it wouldn't surprise me to see Danish girl over Brooklyn; The Martian over Bridge; or The big short sneaking in if first reactions are meant to be belieavable.

I am not sure. Danish girl reviews are not great, but can be solid enough if the movie has the support of GA.

Also, Academy voters can support films not loved by critics. And I expect there will be a lot of media attention due to its theme.

Hope Martian sneaks in... at least for Best Adapted Screenplay.

Most movies that looked like potential candidates did not exactly deliver, though.

If Revenant is good it might become the top contender, imho.

Star Wars will have to be a true re-invention if it wants to come close to a nom for BP, imho. Don't see it happening (nor even desirable).

Edited by ShouldIBeHere

Star Wars getting nominated is definitely an uphill battle, but I don't think that the "it is the seventh film in a series" argument is that well founded. This isn't like Fast and Furious; The Force Awakens is coming off of a series that has had a 10 year hiatus, presumably finished. It is more of a reboot or reimagining than a sequel. If it starts taking down Box Office records, we will definitely need to be including it in our conversation. 

Also, completely dismissing the Danish Girl because the reviews aren't that great is really dumb. Let me point you towards: Les Miserables (by the same director), The Theory of Everything (starring the same lead), Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, The Help, Precious-- the list goes on and on. Every year people fail to include tepidly received prestige films from Academy loved directors. Last year three mediocre-ly recievied films made it. 

The Revenant will probably lead in noms, but I don't see a narrative for it to win. Leo is totally the front-runner though. :)

the martian has absolutely no chance of winning which hurts the authors credibility somewhat.

out of the 'seen' candidates the only standout is spotlight which is rt near 100% and nearly 9/10 ave rating. those are the types that win oscars.

Edited by Halba

2 hours ago, Halba said:

the martian has absolutely no chance of winning which hurts the authors credibility somewhat.

out of the 'seen' candidates the only standout is spotlight which is rt near 100% and nearly 9/10 ave rating. those are the types that win oscars.

Did you take your RT goggles off for a moment and read it?

3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Did you take your RT goggles off for a moment and read it?

yep i did, but martian will be lucky to get a nom, let alone a win!

its not an oscar type of movie. well made yes, but its not oscar material(big 3 - joy ,revenant, spotlight).

Edited by Halba

Halba, have you ever watched the Oscars? Because every comment you make is just more and more obtuse. 

I really don't want to give a spot to the The Marian because it is so mediocre, but out of what've I'd see an argument for it being the front runner is totally reasonable. 

This is a weird year. Usually there has been so much more clarity. 

On 10/27/2015, 4:59:03, Halba said:

star wars, mad max aren't oscar fare. they arent going to be noms.

That statement is basically stating that the Academy is completely pretentious and will not nominate genre films no matter how good they are, because they are biased against the genre, thus a completely bogus award ceremony that means nothing. which I do believe that is partially true in case of BP anyways. but then how did Star Wars, Avatar, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, Up, and Toy Story 3 get nominated? I also belive that Star Trek 09, was in the top 15 for a nomination that year and DK, was just barely missed out.

Just now, Kalo said:

That statement is basically stating that the Academy is completely pretentious and will not nominate genre films no matter how good they are, because they are biased against the genre, thus a completely bogus award ceremony that means nothing. which I do believe that is partially true in case of BP anyways. but then how did Star Wars, Avatar, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, Up, and Toy Story 3 get nominated? I also belive that Star Trek 09, was in the top 15 for a nomination that year and DK, was just barely missed out.

I mean, everyone knows Dark Knight was one out which is why they made the rule-- to get genre films in. 

I remember reading something saying ST09 was very close to a BP nom and there is a lot of speculation saying it was close to BD too. 

• Like 1