baumer

Paddington (2015)

28 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I still found Paddington screwing things up every five minutes kind of grating (though since it's from the books I suppose they had to leave that in), but the movie redeems the character through his friendliness and sincere desire to fit in, and I found the family warming up to him a bit more believable here than that in a similar outcast-adopted-by-family narrative like Elf. Ben Whishaw was definitely the better choice to voice him as opposed to Colin Firth and Sally Hawkins was especially charming as Mrs. Brown.

I don't think I've had a more enjoyable experience than Paddington in a long while. There are movies that make you go 'Wow that was such a great movie' like 2D1N, TIG, Amour and Leviathan and then there are movies that just make you smile and feel content with yourself and the world. Paddington is the latter; it's a movie that isn't by any means the pinnacle of skill and cinematic achievement, but it makes you smile and sometimes that's what you need. It's one of those movies that makes your day better when you're down (because Everyday is a Great Day :)

Growing up, Paddington was a big part of my childhood (and I actually dug up one of my old paddington books recently) and I think that the movie embodied that very unique charm of Paddington very well in a modern setting.

I don't think I've had a more enjoyable experience than Paddington in a long while. There are movies that make you go 'Wow that was such a great movie' like 2D1N, TIG, Amour and Leviathan and then there are movies that just make you smile and feel content with yourself and the world. Paddington is the latter; it's a movie that isn't by any means the pinnacle of skill and cinematic achievement, but it makes you smile and sometimes that's what you need. It's one of those movies that makes your day better when you're down (because Everyday is a Great Day :)

Growing up, Paddington was a big part of my childhood (and I actually dug up one of my old paddington books recently) and I think that the movie embodied that very unique charm of Paddington very well in a modern setting.

Holy shit you like fun and charming movies  :o

I think I would've bumped it up to an A- (and wouldn't have hated the teaser as much) if they had just not had Paddington lick the fur he pulls out of his ear. Even with his naivete it was still an unbelievably moronic and disgusting gag, and it really sticks out from the rest of film's gentler sense of humor.

Edited by tribefan695

It’s taken 50 years, but finally, finally there’s a British family movie that lives up to Mary Poppins’ standards. In fact, this movie kinda blatantly remakes Mary Poppins for a modern audience but does enough things differently to stand on its own. Ridiculously charming and with a great cast, this is a movie that updates the message of Mary Poppins to modern times (from the workaholics of the 60s to the helicopter parents of today) while full of fun cheeky humor. The only flaw is a villain subplot that really doesn’t go anywhere except to give an actual climax to the film, but otherwise, it’s pretty fantastic. Everyone should check this one out when it’s on DVD. Really loved it. A

• Like 2

What a fantastically made heartwarming family film. Such a joy to watch. Brought back memories of the show i used to watch and the books i used to read as a kid. It is the perfect movie to watch with your family, young and old.

A

I adored this. It's a fairly formulaic story, but it's drowned out by such undeniable charm, creativity, and wit that it becomes sort of impossible not to love it. 

Julie Walters getting the guard ridiculously drunk was a highlight for me.

This movie is very childish, but never in a silly way, it never feels dumbed down.

This is a really funny, creative, heartwarming and... british movie. I really liked it. 

Paddington is so charming, I'm surprised I've never heard about him before, I didn't know this was a popular character.

Edited by JohnnY

The whimsy and creativity on display is unparalleled among other modern family movies. There's real magic here thanks to an intense sincerity and strong commitment to the cleverest of jokes. Anchored by a strong message that people of all ages should listen to, Paddington is delightful and pleasant, certain to amuse even the strictest curmudgeon. A-