kayumanggi

THE DANISH GIRL | 11.27.15 | Focus | final domestic gross: $11,114,018

Don't count out Hanks. He might be a strong contender.

If he couldn't get the support two years ago despite everything going right for him I wouldn't expect him to make it for a movie that is clearly more of a Spielberg showcase than an acting one.

Edited by filmlover

If he couldn't get the support two years ago despite everything going right for him I wouldn't expect him to make it for a movie that is clearly more of a Spielberg showcase than an acting one.

You are probably right, but I guess we will see.

I really don't see how this year is weak in Best Actor, last year had weakish noms but the overall field was great (too bad they ignored Gyllenhaal/Hardy/Teller/Fiennes/Affleck/Tatum), this year they might actually nominate deserving noms (fingers crossed). Fassbender is getting universal praise. Redmayne is getting just as good of reviews for Danish Girl as for Theory, which also had similar lukewarmish reviews. Leo should be awesome. Depp is getting super strong notes- he seems to be a stronger version of Carrell last year, who got a nom. Caine is a legend and apparently gives his best performance in years. That seems like a good field right there. Add on top of that Damon (apparently excellent), Hanks (Hanks), Redford (Truth is getting strong enough notices and apparently he's great), Cranston (ditto what I said for Redford), Brad Pitt (By the Sea is apparently much better than Unbroken), Hardy (divisive performance but some people absolutely LOVE it), Will Smith, Colin Firth if Genius comes out this year, the perpetually underrated Ben Foster, Hiddles (even if his movie sucks he's apparently good), JGL, and maybe even Keaton if they push him lead for Spotlight, where he's getting a ton of praise. It's a totally fine year. Some people just wanna be negative. 

I really don't see how this year is weak in Best Actor, last year had weakish noms but the overall field was great (too bad they ignored Gyllenhaal/Hardy/Teller/Fiennes/Affleck/Tatum), this year they might actually nominate deserving noms (fingers crossed). Fassbender is getting universal praise. Redmayne is getting just as good of reviews for Danish Girl as for Theory, which also had similar lukewarmish reviews. Leo should be awesome. Depp is getting super strong notes- he seems to be a stronger version of Carrell last year, who got a nom. Caine is a legend and apparently gives his best performance in years. That seems like a good field right there. Add on top of that Damon (apparently excellent), Hanks (Hanks), Redford (Truth is getting strong enough notices and apparently he's great), Cranston (ditto what I said for Redford), Brad Pitt (By the Sea is apparently much better than Unbroken), Hardy (divisive performance but some people absolutely LOVE it), Will Smith, Colin Firth if Genius comes out this year, the perpetually underrated Ben Foster, Hiddles (even if his movie sucks he's apparently good), JGL, and maybe even Keaton if they push him lead for Spotlight, where he's getting a ton of praise. It's a totally fine year. Some people just wanna be negative. 

I don't think the category is "weak" per se (since I'm sure there are many worthy performances out there), what I was saying is that this is least competitive year for the category since the Forest Whitaker year (a year that was so uncompetitive it allowed for mid-20-something Ryan Gosling to get in for a tiny movie no one saw that was released in the summer from a nothing distributor, something of a big deal in a category that's notoriously difficult for "young" actors to breakthrough when your film isn't an undeniable all-around contender ala The Social Network).

• Like 1

Still Alice and TTOE had the same amount of reception.

What the fuck is an "amount of reception?" How can you have an amount of reception? Were the both reviewed the same amount of times?

If you mean similar reception or same type of reception you are still wrong. Was wrong about that. Still pissed about semantics.

Edited by TStechnij

I've just returned from the UK premiere. No way should this be a best picture contender. It's ok, nothing more. It's a film that never quite takes off. The dialogue is clunky cliches and I found that really off putting.

Redmayne is all mannerisms and nowhere near his performance in Theory.

It's Alicia Vikander's film and she is rightly getting the plaudits though, !personally I preferred her in ex Machina and Testament of Youth.

I wanted to see this today but inl have to look after the 9 year old while the other kids see MockingJay and the parents see Brooklyn. I'm literally the only person who doesn't get to pick a movie. And truth be told, I'll be shocked if the kid ends up wanting to see a movie at all; I'll probably end up watching him in the arcade for 2 hours.

• Like 1

there's a moment in the film where Ben Whishaw says to eddie, "Have you heard the story of the great oak tree? It is said that if you catch its fallen acorn, you will be granted a wish."

and all I could hear in my head was, "is it possible to learn this power?"

Not from a cisgender.