baumer

The Godfather III

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Godfather III

Way below the first 2. I liked the idea, but it just didn't really come together. And the less I bring up Sofia Coppola the better.

If it didn't have Godfather attached to it, it may get a B/B-, but since it is part of the series, it drops due to the predecessors.

C+

Impossible to live up to the 2 first. This don´t get near them.

But it was still way better than a lot of other 3´s

Agreed. It's been a while since I've seen this one, but I recall it still being a good movie, just when compared with the first two it falls flat.

B, 3.5/5

It adds almost nothing to the mythology, like one of those TV episodes that doesn't advance the overall story not one bit, an authentic filler entry. Part II did everything that Part III tried to do, better and was way more efficient at that. And oh god, Sofia Coppola was so so bad, her horrible performance is even more glaring because she's around such great actors giving great performances. D'Ambrosio was pretty bad too, but he wasn't in the movie much, so that's ok.

The whole opera sequence, especially its culmination, are just masterful. The last scene is among the best ones in the trilogy, which isn't a small feat.

75/100

The Godfather Part II 95/100
The Rainmaker 85/100
The Godfather 80/100
The Godfather Part III 75/100
The Conversation 70/100
The Outsiders 60/100
Apocalypse Now 55/100
Peggy Sue Got Marrie 50/100
Dracula 25/100

Is there any other Coppola movie worth watching? I was thinking in watching Rumble Fish and Tucker, his best-reviewed movies left, but their premises don't generate much interest from me

Is this worth watching? just watched the first two Godfathers this year and they were amazing, I've heard sometimes that part 3 was actually a little underrated.

Edited by Kalo

Aside from Sofia Coppola being utterly dreadful, it is a solid movie. A little creaky at the seams and a bit less compelling than the other two sure, but I think storywise it is a very strong take at a man's attempted path to redemption and salvation being derailed by all the chickens of his past coming home to roost. Shame Duvall got pissed over salary issues and dropped out.

It'd have been a nice touch if say Eli Wallach's character had been in one of the prior films, would have made his character turn in this one all the more gut-punching to Michael.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1