Olive

Weekend Estimates: Insurgent 54m | Cinderella $34.5m pg 29

I root for bad movies to fail. You root for them to succeed. To each their own.

But you gave Transformers 4 a B minus....and you went to see it anyways even though it had a 19% on Rotten Tomatoes.  So you are kind of a hypocrite yourself.

I did like Divergent the book and movie. I can't speak for the movies but Insurgent and Allegiant as books were a mess

I thought as far as the books go that Insurgent was the best. ( Allegiant is awful though)

But you gave Transformers 4 a B minus....and you went to see it anyways even though it had a 19% on Rotten Tomatoes. So you are kind of a hypocrite yourself.

RT scores do not determine the quality of a movie though.

Generally speaking, yes they do.  There are exceptions every once in a while where they are too tough on something that deserves better (Kingdom of Heaven's 40% is too low), or too easy on something that deserves lower (Superman Returns - 76% and Avatar - 84%).  But most of the time they are spot on.  There is a reason why the top critics on RT are paid to analyze these for a living and some idiot who watches Maury Povich, Jersey Shore, or Jerry Springer on their couch at home is not.

Edited by Ando81

Generally speaking, yes they do. There are exceptions every once in a while where they are too tough on something that deserves better (Kingdom of Heaven's 40% is too low), or too easy on something that deserves lower (Superman Returns - 76% and Avatar - 84%). But most of the time they are spot on. There is a reason why the top critics on RT are paid to analyze these for a living and some idiot who watches Maury Povich, Jersey Shore, or Jerry Springer on their couch at home is not.

Critics opinions are no important than anyone else's.

• Like 1

Divergent, the movie and the novel, are just really confused. Like, it throws out a bunch of themes about social order and individuality, but then it just trods down a typical teen romance. And then there's zombies as well.

Edited by Alpha

Divergent, the movie and the novel, are just really confused. Like, it throws out a bunch of themes about social order and individuality, but then it just trods down a typical teen romance. And then there's zombies as well.

Zombies?

Umm... No, there aren't zombies...

Yep, there's a massive backlash here towards anything that seems to be adored by females.

People were excited by Cinderella's # and wanted it to do more than it did, so I don't get this argument. :huh:

People were excited by Cinderella's # and wanted it to do more than it did, so I don't get this argument. :huh:

Movie's with female fandoms seem to get a lot of hate. Cinderella has fans but not much of a true fandom. Probably because it's target market is children/families and nostalgic adults.

But you gave Transformers 4 a B minus....and you went to see it anyways even though it had a 19% on Rotten Tomatoes.  So you are kind of a hypocrite yourself.

That's for visual FX only. Divergent movies have neither a good story, characters, or good visual effects. They're visually, thematically, and emotionally redundant. Transformers 4 is a dumb movie, but it's visually orgasmic as well. Hence the B- 

If someone wants to fawn over a YA movie, The Hunger Games franchise has my vote. All three excellent. Or even the first Maze Runner which wasn't bad. 

Edited by tonytr87

That's for visual FX only. Divergent movies have neither a good story, characters, or good visual effects. They're visually, thematically, and emotionally redundant. Transformers 4 is a dumb movie, but it's visually orgasmic as well. Hence the B-

If someone wants to fawn over a YA movie, The Hunger Games franchise has my vote. All three excellent. Or even the first Maze Runner which wasn't bad.

HG is in another league than Maze Runner and Divergent. The latter two are fun and help pass the time between HG movies, but don't come anywhere close for me. I do prefer Divergent over Maze Runner though. Probably because I prefer the characters and feel they have more personality than the characters in Maze Runner.

I think the problem is more films targeted at “Young Adults" than films targeted at females.

But the ones that seem to cater to females get more hate than the ones that do not.

Anything for IT FOLLOWS?

I already want to watch it again.

Me too! I wish it great success!

• Like 1

HG is in another league than Maze Runner and Divergent. The latter two are fun and help pass the time between HG movies, but don't come anywhere close for me. I do prefer Divergent over Maze Runner though. Probably because I prefer the characters and feel they have more personality than the characters in Maze Runner.

But the ones that seem to cater to females get more hate than the ones that do not.

To me I take MR over Divergent.  I think MR had better execution compare to Divergent.  Thats my opinion.

• Like 3