Blankments

Alternative Box Office Scenarios

You can change one thing in box office history, what is it? It can't be anything involving "Eh, I'd have Avatar make a billion domestic," and it can't be related to the quality of the film itself. I'm just curious on what answers I might get here.

Personally, I wouldn't have released The Interview on VOD the day before its theatrical release. I would've loved to see its run play out and I'll always wonder how much money it could've made with a slow theaters picking it up kind of run, because I honestly think it could've made 200M with the publicity it had.

What are yours?

The Interview could have been huge given just how huge it became in terms of awareness. I don't think a slow burn would have worked though, as news never sticks around for too long. If it had opened in 3500 theaters on Christmas weekend it could have done 60M+ OW alone, maybe way higher. Everyone was talking about it. I wonder how well it would have played in Korea, a reasonably sized market.

Ah, but I don't think The Interview could've got the buzz it did if it wasn't cancelled and then uncancelled. And, let's face it, it wasn't ever going to go wide on December 25 once it was cancelled the first time

cancel it, uncancel it, release it wide immediately.

White House Down without Olympus Has Fallen.

no one watched olympus has fallen, I don't think it had that much of an effect. WHD would have grossed a bit more, but wouldn't have been saved from bombing.

• Community Manager

no one watched olympus has fallen, I don't think it had that much of an effect. WHD would have grossed a bit more, but wouldn't have been saved from bombing.

Olympus Has Fallen made almost $100 million domestically. White House Down made $73 million-although it did do better internationally.

To state none watched Olympus is very wrong. While $98 million might not be relatively impressive or record-breaking, that's a very good performance and means it did sell lots of tickets.

Edited by Water Bottle

100M worth of people watched it in the U.S alone.

Edit: I was beat to it :P

Edited by DAJK

What I'm saying is, it would be one thing if Olympus had been a huge hit. But there is plenty of breathing room for two similar films when the first one doesn't exactly light the box office on fire.

What I'm saying is, it would be one thing if Olympus had been a huge hit. But there is plenty of breathing room for two similar films when the first one doesn't exactly light the box office on fire.

WHD was not done any favors by being compared to OHF though, and by refusing to go for a hard-R rating and having a ridiculous motivation for the bad guys it failed that comparison. Not saying OHF was any better, but OHF did give people what they wanted to see, close quarters hand to hand combat action, America F Yeah, and the satisfaction of seeing the bad guys' brains being blown out. There were no subplots, nothing to distract from the mission at hand unlike the kid subplot in WHD. OHF just made people happy on a primal level which WHD never had the chance to.

If Batman Returns made over $200m at the domestic box office, I suspect WB wouldn't have fired Burton. That means we could have avoided the two Schumacher movies. Between that and the simple fact I would have liked to see Burton and Keaton make another Batman movie, this is definitely the one thing I wish had turned out differently through box office history. 

• Like 2

White House Down without Olympus Has Fallen.

Ooh, I like this one just because I feel like White House Down is one of the more underrated blockbusters in memory. I feel like it could've had better legs and a bigger opening if it wasn't marketing around Olympus Has Fallen

If Batman Returns made over $200m at the domestic box office, I suspect WB wouldn't have fired Burton. That means we could have avoided the two Schumacher movies. Between that and the simple fact I would have liked to see Burton and Keaton make another Batman movie, this is definitely the one thing I wish had turned out differently through box office history. 

Batman & Robin is the second best Batman film  :ph34r:

• Like 1

I wish that Prince Caspian didn't underperform so much, so that Voyage could have been made my Disney.. and maybe be a better film, and Just maybe we would have my favorite book in the series into turned into a movie by now The Silver Chair.   

Edited by Kalo

To clarify (not to police my own thread too much), this isn't really about "I wish it made more money for a sequel to be made," it's a "What if things turned out differently?" Like, using Kalo...

I wish that Prince Caspian didn't underperform so much, so that Voyage could have been made my Disney.. and maybe be a better film, and Just maybe we would have my favorite book in the series into turned into a movie by now The Silver Chair.   

Instead of this, ask "What if Prince Caspian was released at Christmas like the first Narnia movie?"

I wonder how well it would have played in Korea, a reasonably sized market.

Regardless of how the US release had turned out, there is literally more chance of a home video of me having numerous graphic and romantic liasons with a pineapple in the centre of Gwangwhamun square in front of the statue of King Sejong than The Interview ever getting a cinematic release in South Korea. :)

But maybe if they had never made those Scumacher films, they would have never felt the need to reboot, thus no Nolan trilogy.
  • Like 1

But maybe if they had never made those Scumacher films, they would have never felt the need to reboot, thus no Nolan trilogy.

I realize that. The Schumacher movies did have a positive effect later on. I just wish in 1995 I got to see a continuation of Burton's gothic version and not the neon Schumacher version.

To clarify (not to police my own thread too much), this isn't really about "I wish it made more money for a sequel to be made," it's a "What if things turned out differently?" Like, using Kalo...

Instead of this, ask "What if Prince Caspian was released at Christmas like the first Narnia movie?"

That's exactly what I was thinking as it was originally slated to release Dec 2007. but they moved it to May. which made it two and a half years gap between the films, more competitive time of year. I'm almost certain it would have made more if they stuck with the original date.