6 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Goon

Is this getting a US release? It's weird, it's got a mostly American cast, but it's written by two Canadians and financed by Canadians. So is this getting a release down south?

I think that if you go to see this movie, you know what you're getting into. It's essentially a love letter to the violent side of hockey written by Jay Baruchel and Evan Goldberg, both of whom are known for a particular kind of comedy, and it stars Seann William Scott, who is known for playing a particular kind of character.The premise of the movie is that a likable, polite, not-exactly-bright bouncer, Doug Glatt, is invited to join a semi-professional hockey team as an enforcer. I think what I chiefly liked about the film was that yes, there's lewd and crude humour and a somewhat predictable plot line, but you'll like the characters and at no point does the movie start to drag or fail to entertain.I was also pleased to see that, as a Canadian hockey fan myself, I wasn't spoon-fed easy stereotype jokes. The things that were funny hadn't been recycled a hundred times in every other movie that pointedly features Canada as a setting. The characters do drag out the old 'eh' every now and again, but you feel more like it's a wink to Baruchel's home audience rather than something intended to hit you over the head with a 'SEE, we're in CANADA!'Bottom line: This flick isn't going to win any Oscars. But if you want to see something thoroughly entertaining, it's a good bet. If you don't laugh at least once, then we can't be friends.This is also the most politically incorrect movie I've seen in quite sometime. It makes fun of French people, Canadians in general, Asians, Russians, gays and others. That alone gives it high marks.

Anyways this movie is typical sports comedy. It some what reminds me slapshot. The main character is likeable and you do not have to be a hockey fan to enjoy this.The movie does have its humor and is a fun film to watch. If you going to watch this then watch it with friends. If you are legal age have a nice drink.6/10

Fucking awesome movie. I nearly choked on my sandwich from laughing.

How did this not get more attention at the time???? Surely, it has to find an audience on DVD. Has to. There's no way this doesn't become a big cult hit over the next few years.

Basically, in a nutshell, this is like a Kevin Smith movie, but good. It's laugh out loud funny. When it wants moments of pathos it nails it. When it needs a good character beat it nails it. It's just a superb fucking movie.

Grade: A

Edited by yads
  • Like 1

I have to say I was a little disappointed. I though Sean William Scott was good. And the announcer was hilarious but the rest I was left shrugging my soldiers. And Jay Baruchel got on my nerves very quickly. C+