K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

Yep, movie stars of today will never be as big as movie stars of the past

I can already tell you how this is gonna go down: People are gonna build Pratt up as this huge moviestar cuz he's in two popular franchises, he'll star in some less-appealing movie that relies solely on his name, it'll bomb, and people will tear him apart for it

We saw it this year with Brad Bird who was built up a lot online.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen/heard people post/say they're not going to watch a movie in theaters because they already have/will have it at home for free.

Cinema cams? Why are you ignoring actual leaked films/files?

Because they are rare and the best, actually watchable copies are on private trackers and get a few thousand downloads tops. Been there, done that, seen the evidence. Your personal ancedotal evidence is meaningless.

I agree it's a more logical sequel, but let's get real. After the disastrous events of JP1, there shouldn't have been a sequel to the story. But money talks and bullshit walks.

People continue to backpack across Europe despite hostels actually existing and people keep getting in the ocean despite shark attacks. People keep smoking, drinking and doing drugs and companies keep selling alcohol and cigarettes despite it killing people.

People continue to backpack across Europe despite hostels actually existing and people keep getting in the ocean despite shark attacks. People keep smoking, drinking and doing drugs and companies keep selling alcohol and cigarettes despite it killing people.

The fiasco in JP1 would have bankrupted the people who ran the company and got them thrown in jail.

• Like 1

Cinema cams? Why are you ignoring actual leaked films/files?

There are fortunately very rarely leaks before home media release. Expendables 3 is probably highest profile movie that has leaked before it's cinema run. Or if you disagree, can you give me some examples?

Edited by KingoftheWorld

Yea, I've got evidence.  It's easy evidence.  Attendance is way down.  

Case closed end of story.

In other words nope, you dont. Attendance is down, must be piracy.. Thats the same blind stupidity that the studios are guilty of and is causing the problem in the first place.

The numbers simply dont add up and a download doesnt mean a lost ticket, never did, never will.

This generation is just as obsessed with Kim Kardashian and other reality TV stars as they are with any movie star. In truth it's more about the concept and big effects that drive movie grosses today.

True, but for every Star Wars and Indy Ford had, there was a Blade Runner(a cult fim now, but not exactly a blockbuster back then), Mosquito Coast, etc. Not every film Ford was in was a hit just because of his name.

• Like 1

The fiasco in JP1 would have bankrupted the people who ran the company and got them thrown in jail.

Jail? No. They couldn't have predicted Nedry would do what he did. Bankrupt? That technology would mean endless revenue.

I can already tell you how this is gonna go down: People are gonna build Pratt up as this huge moviestar cuz he's in two popular franchises, he'll star in some less-appealing movie that relies solely on his name, it'll bomb, and people will tear him apart for it

Eh, no star these days can open just any movie to huge numbers. Not RDJ, not JLaw, not Will Smith.

It's not about being able to make a killing with every single role, it's about choosing the right roles where people would want to watch that actor. So far I think Pratt is making excellent choices. If he wants to make a smaller movie, I doubt anyone would lambast him if it doesn't open to 100m.

He's in three successful franchises (nobody gives him any credit for Lego movie, but it is a franchise and he is voicing the lead), he has some exciting projects coming up... plus he might actually be Indiana Jones. I wouldn't sell his star power short.

• Like 1

The similarities are there. Big blockbusters in a row, connections to Spielberg, and fame found in mid to late 30s and plays "everyman" roles. I'm not saying he has the same acting chops, just saying that he could impact this generation in a similar way Ford impacted ours.

Just to add some perspective, Pratt starred in a Marvel movie and a movie franchise that at one time was as popular as they come.  Not taking anything away from him because he has Rock like charisma, no denying that.

Ford did SW, which would have been big with or without him, headlined Raiders, got an Oscar nomination for Witness, Blade Runner, then helped make smaller films decent sized hits (Working Girl, Presumed Innocent), then took over as super CIA neophyte, Jack Ryan then did the Fugitive.  

Let's not put too much pressure on Pratt to be one of the biggest movie stars in the history of cinema,,,,,at least not yet.

• Like 2

Rot! (Or some other British term.)

It didn't! You don't have to hear a film to enjoy it!

Yea, the Artist brainwashed everyone into believing it was a good film.  :)

Just to add some perspective, Pratt starred in a Marvel movie and a movie franchise that at one time was as popular as they come.  Not taking anything away from him because he has Rock like charisma, no denying that.

Ford did SW, which would have been big with or without him, headlined Raiders, got an Oscar nomination for Witness, Blade Runner, then helped make smaller films decent sized hits (Working Girl, Presumed Innocent), then took over as super CIA neophyte, Jack Ryan then did the Fugitive.  

Let's not put too much pressure on Pratt to be one of the biggest movie stars in the history of cinema,,,,,at least not yet.

I'm saying the potential is there...not that he will definitely live up to that potential.

• Like 2

In other words nope, you dont. Attendance is down, must be piracy.. Thats the same blind stupidity that the studios are guilty of and is causing the problem in the first place.

The numbers simply dont add up and a download doesnt mean a lost ticket, never did, never will.

Admissions have steadily declined each decade since the 50s as more entertainment options and then piracy have arisen.

Eh, no star these days can open just any movie to huge numbers. Not RDJ, not JLaw, not Will Smith.

It's not about being able to make a killing with every single role, it's about choosing the right roles where people would want to watch that actor. So far I think Pratt is making excellent choices. If he wants to make a smaller movie, I doubt anyone would lambast him if it doesn't open to 100m.

He's in three successful franchises (nobody gives him any credit for Lego movie, but it is a franchise and he is voicing the lead), he has some exciting projects coming up... plus he might actually be Indiana Jones. I wouldn't sell his star power short.

But thats the thing. He's in movies that are based on a brand. When he'll open original movies like DiCaprio does for example then we're talking.

There are fortunately very rarely leaks before home media release. Expendables 3 is probably highest profile movie that has leaked before it's cinema run. Or if you disagree, can you give me some examples?

Universal has a notorious problem with their films leaking as soon as they open in South Korea.

Actually yes it does.  You don't need hard evidence, you need common sense, which isn't so common, apparently.

If you can get something for free, or go pay $10 for it, what motivation do you have to go pay for it?

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1