K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

You don't speak for the entire general audience. They could see thing differently, and plus it's an entirely new story-line. I've read the comics, it's not a rehash of the first Avengers in the slightest, other then some of the jokes probably. 

As stated above, it's even being marketed as an Avengers film internationally. The GA doesn't care about the comics, they're jsut gonna see the Avengers characters back on screen together a year later.

Let me play out a scenario for you.

The Civil War trailer has more views on YouTube than any other movie.

When it premieres ahead of the release date, tweets are overwhelmingly positive.

Why would a movie with the Avengers make less than AOU with so much buzz?

Those are some very generous assumptions.

Why did AOU make less than TA?

I honestly think that's why it was close at all. Probably gonna be just under $209M. Without the finals, it probably does close to or over $60M Sunday. Instead it did just over $55M.

Which means Monday should be epic. NBA set another ratings record last night. Kind of surprised by that since it was not a deciding game and I think most figured after Game 4 that the Cavs are screwed (and they are).

As stated above, it's even being marketed as an Avengers film internationally. The GA doesn't care about the comics, they're jsut gonna see the Avengers characters back on screen together a year later.

That still doesn't make it a rehash. 

It's diminishing returns and burn out. Basic industry cycle. I think it will top $300 million domestic though.

That doesn't apply to Civil War.

Civil War will have Spider-man, premier Black Panther and feature all the most popular superheroes battling each other over a politically charged plotline. Then add to this that it could be a great movie.

It has everything that AOU lacked.

Assuming the game did have an impact, I'm just so happy it didn't have enough of an impact to keep JW from getting that record.

That would've been such a disappointing thing after such a brilliant weekend.

Can star wars complete trifecta? Biggest previews/Friday biggest Saturday and biggest Sunday and obviously weekend record... Lol

Like JW, SW may be so big that the release date is rendered irrelevant and everyone simply goes to see it and it breaks records.

• Like 2

Why did AOU make less than TA?

Concept was pretty generic. Avengers vs another army of look-alikes. Civil War is going to be something we haven't yet seen before in SH films. Not saying it will make more than AOU, just that it will most likely breakout from its predecessor(in this case Winter Soldier). I see 350-400m, but 450 seems to be a tall order for a film without the Avengers brand name.

Here's what I posted a month ago:

Here's my OW attendance list.  I've taken into account every factor that was posted as best as I can (IMAX/3D/Other/etc.).  Unfortunately, no one's ever provided a children audience share, so I cannot account for youth tickets, though in some of the weekend breakdowns, we're told the fraction of the audience that is over/under 25.  Notably, 2 of the top 3 openers have a over/under 25 split of 50%, TDK and TA, but SM3 had a split of 63% under the age of 25, so I think it's fair to say that in actuality, it holds the true crown for OW attendance, likely a little over 23M.  In the same manner, you can do a mental adjustment for any film that might lean younger (such as Potter or Shrek, or TDK vs. TA).

TDK - 22.4M

SM3 - 22.1M

TA - 21.8M

DMC - 20.7M

NM - 19.9M

SM1 - 19.7M

TDKR - 19.4M

DH2 - 19.0M

CF - 18.9M

THG - 18.9M

AOU - 18.6M

BD1 - 18.2M

IM3 - 18.1M

BD2 - 18.0M

Shrek 3 - 18.0M

Shrek 2 - 17.5M (20.9M 5-day)

ROTS - 17.0M (24.9M 4-day)

AWE - 17.0M (22.6M 5-day)

As of now, the only figure for 3D we've had reported is 48% by Deadline.  Unfortunately, without knowing the IMAX/PLF splits, whatever number I come up with for attendance will be overestimated.  

So at 209M, with a 48% 3D share and no knowledge of IMAX/PLF splits, that number is 20.9M tickets.  With standard IMAX/PLF splits (let's say 10% IMAX 3D and 6% PLF), we'd be looking at 20.2M.  So this was a DMC level opening.

Edited by Spizzer - Manav
  • Like 3