jb007

Tuesday Actuals: JW 24.3M | DOWN GOES TDK TUESDAY | Not the Spielberg, Cameron, or Nolan thread!

You mean the 1993 film that did $915m worldwide in its initial run with much lower ticket prices, no 3D/IMAX, without the explosion of many developed markets. 

JP1 sold 86m tickets in its initial run, which is roughly 10m more tickets than Avatar.

Not that admissions or grosses determine how beloved a film is...because let's face it...saying that Avatar is a "far superior" movie to Jurassic Park would sound ludicrous to most people. 

And I saw Avatar FOUR times in theaters, so sit your ass down before accusing me of hating on it.

Music was better, innovation was better... And dude 760M is 760M.. Avatar is far superior to JP.

Jurassic Park becomes even more embarrassed once you start seeing the love OS for Avatar. JP didnt get tons of major film rewards either.

JP= amazing mile stone, technical achievement , BO might.. But its a popcorn flick...

Avatar== a film 5-10 yrs ahead of the pack, breathrough in story visuals and music and sound.. The editing alone is insane and how everything digital had to come together from over 8 studios lol. Folks are talking about avatar for days on end after leaving it and some killed themselves.

Jurassic Park with all its greatness is not on the level of Avatar 1... Which judging by how both were received its quite obvious. No hating now. As come 2017 James is going to push HP JP world and Avengers from their spots.. And Dare say Titanic and Avatar may go down as well

I love this forum but I gotta admit, the only thing that saddens me a bit is the constant bashing of Avatar ...

It s like sports for some of you to constantly reminding us how Avatar is not good, or relevant or lame.

:(  :(

Could you start bullying another film from now on ?

MOS?.... :ph34r:

You mean the 1993 film that did $915m worldwide in its initial run with much lower ticket prices, no 3D/IMAX, without the explosion of many developed markets. 

JP1 sold 86m tickets in its initial run, which is roughly 10m more tickets than Avatar.

Not that admissions or grosses determine how beloved a film is...because let's face it...saying that Avatar is a "far superior" movie to Jurassic Park would sound ludicrous to most people. 

And I saw Avatar FOUR times in theaters, so sit your ass down before accusing me of hating on it.

WXqv0sz.gif

Music was better, innovation was better... And dude 760M is 760M.. Avatar is far superior to JP.

Jurassic Park becomes even more embarrassed once you start seeing the love OS for Avatar. JP didnt get tons of major film rewards either.

JP= amazing mile stone, technical achievement , BO might.. But its a popcorn flick...

Avatar== a film 5-10 yrs ahead of the pack, breathrough in story visuals and music and sound.. The editing alone is insane and how everything digital had to come together from over 8 studios lol. Folks are talking about avatar for days on end after leaving it and some killed themselves.

Jurassic Park with all its greatness is not on the level of Avatar 1... Which judging by how both were received its quite obvious. No hating now. As come 2017 James is going to push HP JP world and Avengers from their spots.. And Dare say Titanic and Avatar may go down as well

Smurfs Dance With Wolves and Pocahontas in Ferngully.

JP did $557 million OS at 1993 ticket prices with no 3D, no IMAX and without the expanding markets.

Edited by PDC1987

lol Avatar. Most people don't give two shits about that film now. Jurassic Park's legacy and cultural impact will stand the test of time.

Lol HV sales and tens of thousands of mini communities including one here begs to differ.

Avatar is and will always be leagues above JP world and JP.. Its impact on film ,  CGI breakthroughs music and story in one seperates it from  JP Heretic.. When Avatar 2 rolls in some 8 yrs later and blows away JP world and SW7.. Im going to be here laughing at your hatred for Cameron. Hes a god because hes the pound for  pound best.. Lets see Speilberg get  major awards for writing,editing , screenplay

and best director for  two world breakers. :)

End of discussion.. Back to JP World.. I also think if the domestic is high enough. Juggernaut 2 will take the OW WW Record back.

420 M by Monday or Tuesday all? JP definitely gotta give it props for the music and sound as well. First film to take it up a notch after T2

Music was better, innovation was better... And dude 760M is 760M... Avatar is far superior to JP.

Jurassic Park becomes even more embarrassing once you start seeing the love OS for Avatar. JP didn't get tons of major film rewards either.

JP is an amazing mile stone, technical achievement , BO might... But it's a popcorn flick...

Avatar is a film 5-10 yers ahead of the pack, breakthrough in story visuals and music and sound... The editing alone is insane and how everything digital had to come together from over 8 studios. Lol. Folks are talking about Avatar for days on end after leaving it and some killed themselves.

Jurassic Park with all its greatness is not on the level of Avatar 1... Which judging by how both were received its quite obvious. No hating now. As come 2017, James is going to push HP, JP world, and Avengers from their spots... And dare I say Titanic and Avatar may go down as well.

QqLqQxQ.gif

Edited by Claire Nolan Holt

I love this forum but I gotta admit, the only thing that saddens me a bit is the constant bashing of Avatar ...

It s like sports for some of you to constantly reminding us how Avatar is not good, or relevant or lame.

:(  :(

Could you start bullying another film from now on ?

Lol Futurist haters going to hate when every record, every award going mostly to mega Cameron Epics... Still wont change the fact that no matter

what numbers JP World and SWS put up... We are going to obliterate them both domestically and WW.. The only challenge left is SW7 (Nostalgia power!!0

and the unknown power of a potentiallly well marketed and well done Superman and Batman.

Civil War doesnt have a chance in hell. Though that film could beat Avengers 2  on a best case scenario

JP did $557 million OS at 1993 ticket prices with no 3D, no IMAX and without the expanding markets.

In a lot of ways, JP was the first film to really show that OS could be a force to be reckoned with. Prior to that, I think the general consensus was that if your film matched the domestic gross overseas, you were doing pretty well. JP did 900m WW, which was a mind-boggling amount.

(Granted, it does highlight how crazy huge Titanic was, since it doubled JP worldwide within five years.)

Good on JW for tapping into that JP mystique. I don't love the film, but the performance is super impressive. (And I'll say that I was willing to see the film to make sure I didn't love it. When Titanic was in theaters, I just hated it because.)

Smurfs Dance With Wolves and Pocahontas in Ferngully.

True but its wouldnt have matter as we are seeing what JP is fully capable of now with far bigger markets than Avatar I , using 3D.

and a huge advertising with Nostalgia.... Sorry PDC Avatar and anyone who compares mega boxoffice behemoths are not impressed.

1.6B WW. vs 2.8b... And soone we will see 3.2-4B WW at the BO baby!! Bite on that...

In a lot of ways, JP was the first film to really show that OS could be a force to be reckoned with. Prior to that, I think the general consensus was that if your film matched the domestic gross overseas, you were doing pretty well. JP did 900m WW, which was a mind-boggling amount.

(Granted, it does highlight how crazy huge Titanic was, since it doubled JP worldwide within five years.)

Good on JW for tapping into that JP mystique. I don't love the film, but the performance is super impressive. (And I'll say that I was willing to see the film to make sure I didn't love it. When Titanic was in theaters, I just hated it because.)

Yep, JP was the first mega blockbuster (anywhere near $300 million domestic) to make far more internationally than domestically.

• Like 1

Yep no doubt about JP was the first of the OS behemoths , but what JP world is doing is showing us how much love there is for JP

OS . And markets are 200-400+ percent bigger OS than avatar had... Watch when we see 400-550M in one territory how everyone is going to faint in 2017.  I Love JP World. I love JP even more, but comparing it to a Avatar is ludcrious. Its a great popcorn flick, not a movie that

gets into your soul and memorizes the mind. Its what Lord Cameron does best.

Oh and what do you all think OS for JP W 1.1B? or will it be 1.09B?

True but its wouldnt have matter as we are seeing what JP is fully capable of now with far bigger markets than Avatar I , using 3D.

and a huge advertising with Nostalgia.... Sorry PDC Avatar and anyone who compares mega boxoffice behemoths are not impressed.

1.6B WW. vs 2.8b... And soone we will see 3.2-4B WW at the BO baby!! Bite on that...

The Avatar sequels aren't touching the original.

Jurassic World is making a lot of money.

Ok, back to your Avatar, Aliens, MOS discussion.

Baums whats your favorite Cameron and Spielberg top Behemoths of Quality and BO might.

I agree INdy deserved more than Batman 1989. Something just went insane in peoples mind for Batman that yr.. Crazy I thought Indy would have dominated everything. And Bats comes out of no where with nearly 300M lol

Did Kal really say Avatar's music is better than Jurassic Park? Seriously? Of all the crazy stuff he has posted through the years, that one might actually take the cake.

Have you listened to both JP album and Avatars Scores... Avatar is clearly more spirtual. I guess I cant say

I one is better than the other from a  pure musical perspective, but to me the breakthrough Horner score help seal the deal to get Avatar miles above the rest in  terms of total  immersement in a jaw dropping world with everything else that the biggest gahuna of all time had going for it.

Musically speaking both scores are  incredible. Anyone that says HOrners music in Avatar and titanic arent up there with the best scores of all time..Your taste is very  very different :) lol

Yep no doubt about JP was the first of the OS behemoths , but what JP world is doing is showing us how much love there is for JP

OS . And markets are 200-400+ percent bigger OS than avatar had... Watch when we see 400-550M in one territory how everyone is going to faint in 2017.  I Love JP World. I love JP even more, but comparing it to a Avatar is ludcrious. Its a great popcorn flick, not a movie that

gets into your soul and memorizes the mind. Its what Lord Cameron does best.

Oh and what do you all think OS for JP W 1.1B? or will it be 1.09B?

JW is so much better than the Avatar slog. But whatever. 

Avatar made so much money because it was extremely hyped up for it's incredible visuals and 3D, at which point that format was fairly new. That's it. The rest is largely forgettable. People will never forget the first time the T-rex entered the screen.

Avatar 2 will see a HUGE drop from the original, in every single country except the ones that have developed significantly since 2009.

Edited by Heretic

Did Kal really say Avatar's music is better than Jurassic Park? Seriously? Of all the crazy stuff he has posted through the years, that one might actually take the cake.

There's an argument to be made that JP is Williams' best score, IMO. He had some great themes elsewhere, but it's an amazingly complete package.

• Like 2

Baums whats your favorite Cameron and Spielberg top Behemoths of Quality and BO might.

I agree INdy deserved more than Batman 1989. Something just went insane in peoples mind for Batman that yr.. Crazy I thought Indy would have dominated everything. And Bats comes out of no where with nearly 300M lol

Most people who know me already know this but for the record:

Cameron:  

Aliens: 10/10

T2: 10/10

Titanic: 10/10

Terminator: 10/10

True Lies: 9.5/10

Abyss: 8/10

Spielberg:

Jaws:  11/10

Raiders:  10.5/10

ET:  10.5/10

There are too many to name with Spielberg.