#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

BTW:

By Est.Tckt.Sales

This weekend:

Jurassic World Uni. 12,563,900

Inside Out BV11,213,800

2004 MD:

Shrek 2 DW 11,621,600

The Day After Tomorrow Fox 11,069,800

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?view=&yr=2004&wknd=22&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

Edited by Mike Wazowski
  • Like 3

I completely disagree that JW had more pre-release online hype than TA. TA was fucking everywhere. The hype was real. JW was lower which is why its success is strange.

It's not really worth debating as 'online buzz' is unquantifiable, so I'll simply say I think TA and JW's levels were about even. JW had a massive presence online. Trailer views were insanely high. People acting like TA's OW didn't come out of nowhere are being a tad revisionist.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

the monday thread will be veryyyy interesting B)

I see panic after a -63% drop(When it's actually a normal drop, but doesn't appear that way because of the Sunday inflation.)

• Like 1

It's not really worth debating as 'online buzz' is unquantifiable, so I'll simply say I think TA and JW's levels were about even. JW had a massive presence online. Trailer views were insanely high. People acting like TA's OW didn't come out of nowhere are being revisionist.

The only thing JW had was high trailer views. TA had trailer views, fanart being drawn before the movie came out, theories, people dressing up as the characters, its previous movies with after-credit scenes and so on.

TA was expected to do well. The 200m+ was the pleasant surprise.

Edited by Focus

The only thing JW had was high trailer views. TA had trailer views, fanart being drawn before the movie came out, theories, people dressing up as the characters, is previous movies with after-credit scenes and so on.

Two things that clearly drove it's success

• Like 2

I see panic after a -63% drop(When it's actually a normal drop, but doesn't appear that way because of the Sunday inflation.)

The Monday drop is gonna be big. I am expecting a 65-66% drop.

• Like 1

The only thing JW had was high trailer views. TA had trailer views, fanart being drawn before the movie came out, theories, people dressing up as the characters, is previous movies with after-credit scenes and so on.

TA certainly had the superhero element already going for it, but let's not forget JW's countless product tie-ins, high profile TV commercials, gender think-pieces, a Lego video game etc etc. All part of the plan.

It's not to take away from either movie. Uni marketed the hell out of JW and it worked gangbusters.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

TA certainly had the superhero element already going for it, but let's not forget JW's countless product tie-ins, high profile TV commercials, gender think-pieces, a Lego video game etc etc. All part of the plan.

It's not to take away from either movie. Uni marketed the hell out of JW and it worked gangbusters.

True JW had incredible marketing. But TA had the bigger online buzz. Both films are successful.