#ED

Weekend Actuals: Inside Out - 90.44M | Jurassic World - 106.59M

This thread: half the time is spent discussing the weekend box office numbers and the other half taken over by folks repeatedly reminding everyone how much they hate the movie. I think they should move their semi-off topic "We hate Jurassic World" posts to a separate thread so those who want to read about the weekend box office results don't have to go through dozens of hate posts to find one that's relavant to the topic. Just saying.

Don't worry, Tele is going to delete like HALF of the posts in this topic before day is over for off topic discussion. :ph34r:

Unlike TPM, JW won't sell as many tickets. So again, how do you know the WOM is the main driving force here? There's too much nostalgia at play in this one to tell. That's a factor we haven't had to consider for a box office phenom in quite some time.

So a 50% drop afetr the biggest OW  of all time does not tell you great WOM???

The 90s where a different time for BO. Besides, who knows if JW really ends up selling as many tickets as TPM. Heck, there is a possibility that JW  will surpass JP ADJUSTED.

Nothing is certain.

Unlike TPM, JW won't sell as many tickets. So again, how do you know the WOM is the main driving force here? There's too much nostalgia at play in this one to tell. That's a factor we haven't had to consider for a box office phenom in quite some time.

Oh, you're seriously suggesting this has bad WOM?

With this 2nd weekend? With these holds?

No.

• Like 1

They so don't need Trevorrow. This is a franchise as producer-driven as they come, Universal will be happy to swap out a director who has repeatedly said he doesn't want to do another film like this one. Trevorrow accepted to do JW so he could make more of his own movies. 

Trevorrow pitched the movie to Spielberg and the movie was in development hell for years.

It s Trevorrow s movie, whether you like it or not.

Spielberg liked the idea and greenlit the project.

Trevorrow pitched the movie to Spielberg and the movie was in development hell for years.

It s Trevorrow s movie, whether you like it or not.

Spielberg liked the idea and greenlit the project.

I didn't know Spielberg had Hollywood studio levels of power. :o

Titanic, TPM, Spiderman, TDK, Avatar, Avengers, JW... these are the true box office phenoms of the last twenty years. Now all I'm saying is I don't think it's a coincidence that TPM and JW are the only ones of the bunch not to be highly praised at release by the likes of critics and audience rating sites, and also the only two where nostalgia was a factor. Again, I'm sure the general audience consensus of JW is one of being liked, but like TPM I think the nostalgia is making up for the fact that WOM probably isn't as strong as it was for those other 5.

Edited by MovieMan89

They can get Stephen Sommer, or maybe Breck Eisner.

I would be really interested in a Stephen Sommers JW movie!! His films are never "good" but they are darn well entertaining!
  • Like 1

Titanic, TPM, Spiderman, TDK, Avatar, Avengers, JW... these are the true box office phenoms of the last twenty years. Now all I'm saying is I don't think it's a coincidence that TPM and JW are the only ones of the bunch not to be highly praised at release by the likes of critics and audience rating sites, and also the only two where nostalgia was a factor. Again, I'm sure the general audience consensus of JW is one of being liked, but like TPM I think the nostalgia is making up for the fact that WOM probably isn't as strong as it was for those other 5.

Shrek 2...how does anyone explain that one? lol

I didn't know Spielberg had Hollywood studio levels of power. :o

We are talking Spielberg here, and this movie is Amblin's, his production company.

The real green light comes from Universal Film CEO but you don t say no to Spielberg that thinks he has found a cool idea for a Jurassic Park 4 movie.

Oh, you're seriously suggesting this has bad WOM?

With this 2nd weekend? With these holds?

No.

Not what I suggested at all. Read my posts please. I suggested WOM is good but not great. It's the good WOM combined with the nostalgia factor unlike any movie since TPM that is getting it these numbers.

MM89, not convinced TDK/SM1/TA1 had zero nostalgia.

SM1 - People waited 40 years to see this. Similar nostalgia effect to B89/S78

TDK - People waited almost 20 years to see the Joker again.

TA1 - Like Spidey, people waited 40 years to see it.

Nostalgia doesn't necessarily have to be with a specific movie, it can also come from the source material. Millions and millions of people grow up reading comics and to say they were looking forward to films like SM1 or TA1 is an understatement.

MM89, not convinced TDK/SM1/TA1 had zero nostalgia.

SM1 - People waited 40 years to see this. Similar nostalgia effect to B89/S78

TDK - People waited almost 20 years to see the Joker again.

TA1 - Like Spidey, people waited 40 years to see it.

Nostalgia doesn't necessarily have to be with a specific movie, it can also come from the source material. Millions and millions of people grow up reading comics and to say they were looking forward to films like SM1 or TA1 is an understatement.

Not the same as TPM/JW's nostalgia though, which drove adult fans of the originals to take their kids. Can you imagine how much business JW is taking in if most of the now adult kids who loved JP are taking their kids to JW? That's a shit ton of business, and that wouldn't have anything to do with WOM. Were people really even taking their  kids to a movie like TDK? God, I sure hope not.

Edited by MovieMan89

I seem to remember plenty of people making the WOM argument for TPM, primarily with the kid demographics. Wanna know the difference between the two? The old school Star Wars loonies wish the prequels didn't exist while a lot of the old JP fans are happy JW exists. JP2 and JP3 sucking like they did probably has something to do with that. Lower expectations.

Eh, I think JW is just as bad as TPM & AOTC. I say this as a huge SW & JP fan.

• Like 2