grey ghost

Forget reboots. Will Universal start a revival craze?

Universal has revived two franchises recently, Fast and Furious and Jurassic Park.

Just like Warner Brothers started the reboot craze with Batman Begins, did Universal start a revival craze? Will studios start trying to revive franchises using impressive sequels instead of reboots and remakes?

Edited by grey ghost

Wasn't that a remake, not a sequel like Jurassic World?

George Miller refuses to call the film either a sequel or a reboot. He just calls the film a "revisiting". Miller claimed that after the first Mad Max film he doesn't really see a continuity or set time frame between the films, although he would think of 'Fury Road' as taking place after Thunderdome. In SXSW, George Miller also claimed that the previous three films exist in no real clear chronology, because they were always conceived as different films.

Bring on JAWS remake.

It's BIGGER JAWS. We see the full shark 30 minutes into the movie. Jai Courtney ends the film failing to kill Bigger Jaws but Original Jaws comes back from the dead and eats them both.

(actually, I'd totally see that...)

• Like 1

The only difference between a reboot and a revival is a tenuous connection to the first film.  I think, with "reboot" becoming a dirty word that filmmakers and marketing people have been increasingly distancing themselves from it.

I think that when Tron Legacy came out, studios started looking at cult films in their back catalog to see if any were worth dusting off today.  After, you started seeing the prequel to The Thing and production for MM:FR and JW really start in earnest.

It's BIGGER JAWS. We see the full shark 30 minutes into the movie. Jai Courtney ends the film failing to kill Bigger Jaws but Original Jaws comes back from the dead and eats them both.

(actually, I'd totally see that...)

Ghost Jaws: Sleeping with the Fishes

Jaws meets Sixth Sense meets Goodfellas

Universal has revived two franchises recently, Fast and Furious and Jurassic Park.

Just like Warner Brothers started the reboot craze with Batman Begins, did Universal start a revival craze? Will studios start trying to revive franchises using impressive sequels instead of reboots and remakes?

I don't think Fast and Furious was "revived". They've been basically making those movies non-stop since the first one and all of them have done pretty well.