Alpha

Wednesday Numbers | Official Estimates: Magic Mike XXL - 9.3M; Terminator: Genisys - 8.9M

Nolan usually has had nice multipliers. Come on CJohn, compared to Inception (summer movie), Gravity it doesn't look as fantastic and those are probably two of the best comparables. International success is separate, just talking domestic.

I have no idea why the fuck Gravity made money, it was boring and dull but whatever.

Inception had Summer weekdays, and it was far more commercial than Interstellar. I am surprised Interstellar got a 4.0 multiplier tbh. 

Nolan usually has had nice multipliers. Come on CJohn, compared to Inception (summer movie), Gravity it doesn't look as fantastic and those are probably two of the best comparables. International success is separate, just talking domestic.

Both of those had WB hyping them perfectly. I remember Inception's marketing after OW and it was great. Interstellar marketing from Paramount was not good enough.

• Like 1

Both of those had WB hyping them perfectly. I remember Inception's marketing after OW and it was great. Interstellar marketing from Paramount was not good enough.

All trailers were weak.

My whole point is that the kinds of movies like Inception, Interstellar, Tomorrowland, etc. (which are all sci-fi, you notice) only happen a couple times a decade - or I should say, only hit it big a couple times a decade.

The "big risk which paid off, not based on an existing thing":

1970s - Star Wars

1980s - Raiders, E.T.

1990s - ID4, Titanic (if you don't discount it for being based around an actual historical event)

2000s - Avatar

2010s - Inception, Gravity, Interstellar (but none of them were as astronomical hits as the previous examples)

I think we get this all mixed up with the lack of original non-sequel non-franchise star vehicles, and original non-sequel non-franchise "real-world" action tentpole films which weren't as risky as the above, and didn't cost as much as the above.

Stuff like Tomorrowland and JA has always had just as much chance of flopping as succeeding. The Abyss disappointed theatrically; Waterworld was a miss domestically and needed OS to reach the break even point.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

I don't think this was posted yet.

Update, Thursday, 8:30AM: Magic Mike XXL woke up this morning to a bed-ful of cash after collecting $9.315M on its opening Wednesday and earning an  A- CinemaScore. That’s fantastic because audiences graded the first film a B in July 2012, and that title went on to post a $39.1M weekend and a final domestic B.O. of $113.7M. While Paramount has yet to report Wednesday figures for Terminator Genisys, it’s looking like the Warner Bros. muscular guy sequel actually punched out Terminator Genisys for the top spot yesterday. According to industry estimates, Terminator Genisys made approximately $8.9M from 3,758 venues.  Terminator Genisys earned a B+ CinemaScore, which is the same grade that Terminator Salvation and Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines earned. James Cameron’s Terminator 2: Judgement Day is the only title in the franchise per CinemaScore history to have earned an A+ in 1991. Per early morning estimates, Disney Pixar’s Inside Out took third on Wednesday with $7.5M and a running cume of $208.3M.  Universal’s Jurassic World made $6M in fourth with a total cume of $520.3M. Ted 2 grossed an estimated $3M in fifth raising its six-day total to $44M while Warner Bros. Max earned $1.5M from a six-day running cume of $17.1M.

I have no idea why the fuck Gravity made money, it was boring and dull but whatever.

Inception had Summer weekdays, and it was far more commercial than Interstellar. I am surprised Interstellar got a 4.0 multiplier tbh.

Gravity blew up for four reasons:

1) It was sold on it's "groundbreaking" visuals

2) Sandra Bullock

3) It made the general audiences feel sophisticated

4) Audiences were bored in October and desperate for a reason to go to the movies.

Gravity blew up for four reasons:

1) It was sold on it's "groundbreaking" visuals

2) Sandra Bullock

3) It made the general audiences feel sophisticated

4) Audiences were bored in October and desperate for a reason to go to the movies.

How did it make the GA feel sophisticated? It's a disaster, techno-thriller in space.

Inside Out beating MMXL and TS on their opening days is one of the biggest surprises of the season. Wouldn't have called that even a few days ago. 

IO and JW will be above them today, IMO. 

Gravity was a film that absolutely played well on the big screen, regardless of any flaws. (My mom saw it with me in the theaters and loved it. My dad saw it on hotel PPV and didn't understand what all the fuss was about. My mom agrees with him, it's not the same watching it on the small screen.)

Basically, the same effect some others here say happened to Avatar after theatrical release.

• Like 2