druv10

Monday Numbers (Rth) IO 4.95M, JW 4.15M & TG 3.42M

The magic number I have in mind is $125M. $10M in previews would guarantee that, but only like, $7ishM is needed to reach $125M for the weekend, no?

$10m previews would probably lock $140m opening.

Let's not get carried away. This is, in the end, a movie targetting kids. Previews is not as important for this movie as the Friday and Saturday takes. 4M previews is more than enough to get 100M, 10M would be literally crazy weekend take.

Let's not get carried away. This is, in the end, a movie targetting kids. Previews is not as important for this movie as the Friday and Saturday takes. 4M previews is more than enough to get 100M, 10M would be literally crazy weekend take.

Well yeah...$10m could even lead to a $200m weekend given the type of content. :lol:

So far today:

IO has been selling some tickets

JW has been selling some as well

TG has been selling a bit less.

• Like 5

Weekend tracking numbers are in.

Deadline: http://deadline.com/2015/07/minions-to-recharge-box-office-100m-plus-weekend-preview-1201471297/

To say Universal Pictures is on a roll is an understatement. With Jurassic Worldalready having pounded away at most box office records, the dinosaurs are handing this weekend off to the minions. Already released overseas, the little critters have logged in over $125M in 26 markets and was No. 1 in 15 of those. This weekend they will take control of the domestic box office with an easy No. 1 opening and, by all accounts, will vault well over the $100M for Illumination Entertainment and the studio as it opens wide in 3D.

Interest in this picture is said to be higher than it was for Disney/Pixar’s Inside Out which opened to $90M four weeks ago and has since taken hold of $250M+ domestically and about $370M worldwide so far. It barely edged out Jurassic World this weekend and the Fourth of July was down 27% from the previous weekend. The little guys will boost it right back up in a huge way.

Must mention the outdoor/transit campaign on Minions that the studio launched around L.A.; it’s  overwhelming. Is it like that elsewhere in the country? If you remember, Minions was originally supposed to release on December 19, 2014, but was moved into summer 2015 for promotional reasons. I’ve seen the Hostess/Twinkie promotion which is on eye-it/buy-it shelf space. Not the healthiest food for kids, but it is yellow.

After a ho-hum Fourth of July, Minions is expected to boost the North American box office this weekend with one of the biggest three-day debuts of all time for an animated film, not accounting for inflation.

The Despicable Me spinoff is tracking to open in the $100 million-$110 million range in another win for Illumination Entertainment and Universal, especially considering the movie cost $74 million to produce, a modest number for an animated tentpole.

The current record-holder for the biggest three-day animated opening is Shrek the Third ($122.5 million), followed by Toy Story 3 ($110.3 million). Only one other animated film, Shrek 2 ($108 million) has crossed $100 million in its first weekend.

So far today:

Time to create a thread for Tuesday numbers folks. 

• Like 3

My sources are even telling me that MM is selling a bit less during matinees than TG.  Spy is getting a nice boost today as well.  This is very clandestine, inside stuff.  

• Like 3

So far today:

So expect some kind of increases for Tuesday, am I right? 

Edited by Insidearcher

Shrek the Turd's record is going down. Too bad for Tele it's those little yellow marketing fucksticks that are going to do it, lol.

• Like 2

Some might even increase more than others.

Possible.  But there's a very complicated and ancient formula used to determine that.  So let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet.  Let's just hope for a small increase here and there.

• Like 1