druv10

Monday Numbers (Rth) IO 4.95M, JW 4.15M & TG 3.42M

Oh really? I seem to remember a dude named Quigley who predicted around $140m total for JP4. Pixar is usually good for $200m or more. Their average gross for non-sequels is over $315m when you adjust for inflation.

That's on Quigley. We started getting 100m OW tracking for JW in April. We should've known 300 was going to be the floor for a while. None of us could have predicted the OW record or 650m because who in god's name could see something like that coming. It's blowing past Lost World adjusted and not gonna come far from Jurassic Park adjusted. A big deal when you otherwise get a reboot of a big 80s/90s property every other week. 

Pixar's highest grossing nonsequel in the last 10 years was Up with 293m. A heady movie about emotions wasn't guaranteed to break that in the slightest. People were predicting 50m OWs for Inside Out after JW opened because they thought the market couldn't handle two blockbusters, and tracking was calling for 60 flat. IO's going to do at least 100 more than their last original movie, and because Pixar's consistently good for 200 or more as you say, that's a big deal, and we didn't see that coming either. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 5

Gopher, any updates on the numbers from last night?

I've got IO at 5.05, JW at 4.25, Termy at 3.45 and Mike at 2.35. We'll see what happens!

I think that would be a bad indicator for TG considering how strong everything else is, including JW which doesn't play on weekdays as strongly. Nothing else in the top 12 dropped more than 55% and TG is down 59%. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 6

Minions is opening up to 85M and you guys need to be happy with that.

DM2 had $83.5M its OW in 2013 after opening on a Wednesday.

If Minions opens below $85M, that would be disappointing. Heck, IO will probably be the better film, but anything below IO's OW would be disappointing.

To say Universal Pictures is on a roll is an understatement. With Jurassic World already having pounded away at most box office records, the dinosaurs are handing this weekend off to the minions. Already released overseas, the little critters have logged in over $125M in 26 markets and was No. 1 in 15 of those. This weekend they will take control of the domestic box office with an easy No. 1 opening and, by all accounts, will vault well over the $100M for Illumination Entertainment and the studio as it opens wide in 3D.

more

http://deadline.com/2015/07/minions-to-recharge-box-office-100m-plus-weekend-preview-1201471297/

Edited by abra
  • Like 1

I'm wondering about Jurassic World's drop. We went from 2 2D and 1 3D down to just a 2D/3D split. I don't know how other theaters were doing, but we still were selling plenty of tickets all weekend for JW.

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but did Universal sacrifice some of JW's screens for more Minions?

drive-ins