CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

I think both ways can be very effective but I admire how Feige has managed to make all the movies cross over so well with each other. I do feel like they are a tipping point though. I find myself getting sort of tired of it all and look back at the world-building of Phase 1 with a bit of nostalgia.

We need more movies like Winter Soldier (exciting modern political conspiracy that ties in with the WW2 events of the first film) and fewer movies like Avengers 2 (not a bad movie, but too much of a rehash).

Avengers 2 was more Whedonesque than the first.

And the rehash feeling came from the last act and the drone CGY army but the movie tried ( and failed depending on who you ask) way more things than the first.

• Like 1

Faveau did two movies and that was enough, he didn't feel like returning. Branagh wasn't thrilled with the process on THOR. It's very much a top-down vision, and that's fine, especially if a director's vision happens to mesh with Marvel's. But I don't think anyone would agree that Marvel has a tight control over exactly how they want their movies to be and how they want them to mesh together into a bigger, long-term plan. And, by definition, that excludes giving a really talented person with a distinctive vision relatively free rein to go off and do their thing.

• Like 2

Marvel doesn't like creativity. Prefer to sell a microwave meal with well prepared flavours rather than allowing a nice cooked dish. Always too much repetitive jokes. I think GotG was overrated, AM sounds like the same replacing space with a heist, IM3 was unwatchable, Thor 2 and Ultrol were below par. The only exception is Winter Soldier, Marvel's finest hour to date.

• Like 1

Perhaps the worry is that if the directors have TOO much creative control, the films wouldn't fit together into a cohesive continuity. If they're stand-alone, then it may be difficult to fit them into a "universe." Not saying I agree with this, I would be interested if the films were even more varied. Could it be possible for radically thematically and stylistically different films to still fit together? Or would it be better to go back to stand-alone films/series that don't exist in a shared continuity?
The MCU is essentially an ensemble TV series, and Feige is the show runner
  • Like 2

I think the studios may be have some irrational overblown fear that if they hand franchise blockbusters over to female or minority directors, there's a risk that they will ipso facto become political?

Edited by TServo2049

Faveau did two movies and that was enough, he didn't feel like returning. Branagh wasn't thrilled with the process on THOR. It's very much a top-down vision, and that's fine, especially if a director's vision happens to mesh with Marvel's. But I don't think anyone would agree that Marvel has a tight control over exactly how they want their movies to be and how they want them to mesh together into a bigger, long-term plan. And, by definition, that excludes giving a really talented person with a distinctive vision relatively free rein to go off and do their thing.

Who decides which director has vision and who has not ?

Gunn pretends that GOTG is 98% his.

• Like 1

I think the studios may be have some overblown fear that if they hand franchise blockbusters over to female or minority directors, there's a risk that they will ipso facto become political?

I doubt that's a consideration, really, and even if it was, some of the best movies of all time are pretty political. We live in a political world. I don't think blockbusters, especially if they take place on modern Earth, should exist in some vacuum from any tangible discussion of political implications (Iron Man 2 came the closest, but the forced set-up of Avengers and SHIELD killed that spark before it could even begin). 

Also, whether a director has a good vision or not is obviously subjective, but the discussion is about whether that vision actually comes across on film, , and whether studio restrictions keep it from being portrayed.

Not sure about the opening record (for animation) off of that number

Actually if that holds true it doesn't look likely at all

I would say it can't do more than 85M OW actually because I have a feeling Despicable Me 2 was the peak of this franchise. But don't quote me on that.

• Like 2

Marvel imposes their will on their talent, for sure. But it's so hilarious to me when people act like it's some aberration. All tentpoles are heavily sanitized. You think Jurassic World and Furious 7 are the result of studios letting their creatives run wild? Star Wars 7? lmao

People point to Nolan's movies like a director having a major studio by the balls is the norm rather than the exception

• Like 1

I think the general worry may be the same as I originally postulated - that the films won't fit together. This extends to the look and of the films - if they were all auteur films with absolutely distinct cinematography, editing, music, tone, etc., would it be difficult to fit them into crossovers?Avengers movies were always the endgame of this, maybe the worry among the suits could be that if every one is too distinct, they might not have wide enough appeal, and the crossover stuff wouldn't feel like all the films intersected?

Edited by TServo2049

Marvel imposes their will on their talent, for sure. But it's so hilarious to me when people act like it's some aberration. All tentpoles are heavily sanitized. You think Jurassic World and Furious 7 are the result of studios letting their creatives run wild? Star Wars 7? lmao

People point to Nolan's movies like a director having a major studio by the balls is the norm rather than the exception

Oh, absolutely. Jurassic World is one of the worst examples, IMO. Marvel is just an easily accessible example. 

That s what I said.

;)

Oh, absolutely. Jurassic World is one of the worst examples, IMO. Marvel is just an easily accessible example. 

Easily accessible, lazy. Potaytoe, Potahtoe.  :P

• Like 1