grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

Just now, Brainbug said:

I for one think Aladdin will badly underperform. There was TONS of hype for BatB, there is TONS of hype for Lion King - but not for Dumbo and not for Aladdin. The film just looks DOA to me and its release date is cursed for Disney tentpoles.

Godzilla will fucking slay. 120M+ OW baby.

120m after following a badly received film and not having the novelty of the first? Prepare to be disappointed 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

120m after following a badly received film and not having the novelty of the first? Prepare to be disappointed 

Im just hopefull. The trailers are stunning and have an overwhelmingly positive reception. I like to be more on the optimistic side on most movies, but i do have the feeling that KotM could really surprise many.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I for one think Aladdin will badly underperform. There was TONS of hype for BatB, there is TONS of hype for Lion King - but not for Dumbo and not for Aladdin. The film just looks DOA to me and its release date is cursed for Disney tentpoles.

Godzilla will fucking slay. 120M+ OW baby.

I’d agree —— until you said $120M+ OW :hahaha:

Its more likely that it will be a slight drop from the first film in the opening weekend than outright blowing past it. Godzilla vs King Kong has a better chance at that though.

13 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Not only that, but Godzilla’s producer, Legendary, is owned by Wanda. So any money it makes in China will be much more profit for them than any other studio. 

And you can bet it will be a lot since it looks bigger than The Meg and Kong: Skull Island (both of which blew up over there) and it features Zhang Ziyi, a major Chinese star.

I am not sure Wanda owns legendary now or not.China Love giant monsters film.Even without Wanda  coperation,Chinese actress,Godzilla and monster is Big brand.Domestic boxoffice will be close to first ones.It's totally fine with Godzilla

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

Movies that follow a badly received first film always pay the price. give me an example of a movie with as bad legs as Godzilla where the sequel increased/stayed flat.  

Batman v Superman 

Every Transformers movie after the second one

Hell I don’t understand how it was badly received - 73% on rotten tomatoes doesn’t sound badly received?

Edited by JGAR4LIFE

6 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

I’d agree —— until you said $120M+ OW :hahaha:

Its more likely that it will be a slight drop from the first film in the opening weekend than outright blowing past it. Godzilla vs King Kong has a better chance at that though.

Dont be so realistic and grounded.

maxresdefault.jpg

6 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Batman v Superman 

Hell I don’t understand how it was badly received - 73% on rotten tomatoes doesn’t sound badly received?

Want evidence of poor reception towards G14? How about barely doubling its OW and barely making 200M in the heart of the Summer despite opening to over 90M?

(That being said, I do think KOTM will open to 100+. It has massive hype and the marketing has been insane so far.)

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

More monsters will hype the fans but not necessarily the general audiences. The first Godzilla has more novelty of being the first American Godzilla in 16 years and looking truer to the original. Lack of novelty plus following a poorly received film will equal a lesser opening 

For GA audiences,more giant monsters fight is enough.They don't need to know what last film happened.Or five years is enough to forget about it.Those giant Creatures will be beautiful on giant screen.The trailer is Amazing.Godzillla2 reaction So Far is positive.I don't see Godzillla will pay for it

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Want evidence of poor reception towards G14? How about barely doubling its OW and barely making 200M in the heart of the Summer despite opening to over 90M?

Ahh so Godzilla 2014 must be the original Star Wars the Last Jedi? 😂

It had Days of Future Past coming out right after it, followed by Maleficient. Kong: Skull Island, which had much better reception, dropped down from Godzilla everywhere including domestically except for China, where it blew up enough to make more in total than Godzilla 2014. Beauty and the Beast destroyed it’s legs.

Edited by JGAR4LIFE

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

(That being said, I do think KOTM will open to 100+. It has massive hype and the marketing has been insane so far.)

I dont think anyone could argue that Godzilla 2014 had mediocre to bad audience reception. Critical reception was quite good.

And i obviously agree that KotM will doge the "sequel has to sin for predeccessor"-rule. Its marketing is just incredible.

9 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Batman v Superman 

The legs egos were awful. It barely doubled its opening weekend. It had worse legs than ASM 2 and the Transformers  sequel that year 

Edited by John Marston

15 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Batman v Superman 

I think the first one is not bad film.Audiences are annoyed godzilla rarely show up.Godzilla2 won't have those problems.It will be totally fine.

According to monster verse timeline,godzilla2 is a sequel to Kong:skull island,not godzilla1.At the end of Kong:skull island,There is roar of godzilla.Monster verse wom is not that bad to pay for in sequel

Edited by SliverS

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The legs egos were awful. It barely doubled its opening weekend. It had worse legs than ASM 2 and the Transformers  sequel that year 

I can’t deny the legs weren’t that great but it wasn’t horrendous like the average horror movie. And again Spider-Man and Transformers had no massive competition the week after they came out, while Godzilla had X-Men: DOFP which was the most anticipated film of the year. The second weekend was already going to be a steep drop.

1 minute ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

I can’t deny the legs weren’t that great but it wasn’t horrendous like the average horror movie. And again Spider-Man and Transformers had no massive competition the week after they came out, while Godzilla had X-Men: DOFP which was the most anticipated film of the year. The second weekend was already going to be a steep drop.

They were as bad as it can be for a major blockbuster. And the second weekend was a holiday weekend that softened the drop. On a normal weekend Godzilla would have dropped over 70%

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

They were as bad as it can be for a major blockbuster. And the second weekend was a holiday weekend that softened the drop. On a normal weekend Godzilla would have dropped over 70%

Godzilla and X-Men had the same demographic, and X-Men was more hyped and better received than Godzilla so more people chose that. The opening could’ve also been frontloaded meaning that everyone who wanted to see it rushed on OW. 

7 minutes ago, Alli said:
GODZILLA 2014

93/200

Transformers 3

97/352

Transformers 4

100/245

No transf movie had legs as bad as Godzilla

Kong:skull island 61/168

Even Kong face btab,not bad at all.

Notice godzilla2 is directly linked to Kong:skull island.Godzilla,Ghidrah,Mothra all show up at the end of Kong.Monster verse wom is not bad at all

Edited by SliverS

Either way staying on topic, I think there’s enough hype for Godzilla: King of the Monsters that could not only have it experience a good OW despite opening less than Godzilla 2014, but it could affect Aladdin especially since whereas that movie is getting good buzz, Aladdin isn’t.