grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

4 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

The problem is Disney is not only dropping too much on the market in general next year. But they have three high-profile films that rely 100% on nostalgia for their original animated counter-parts. No studio is bullet-proof and there will be some duds in between money-eating monsters like Avengers: Endgame and especially The Lion King.

This will be one of them and Dumbo too. Just like the 90's, this trend will peak with The Lion King and everything after that will be diminishing returns - some far worse than others.

Lion King comes out after those movies

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

The problem is Disney is not only dropping too much on the market in general next year. But they have three high-profile films that rely 100% on nostalgia for their original animated counter-parts. No studio is bullet-proof and there will be some duds in between money-eating monsters like Avengers: Endgame and especially The Lion King.

This will be one of them and Dumbo too. Just like the 90's, this trend will peak with The Lion King and everything after that will be diminishing returns - some far worse than others.

I guess next year will be the ultimate peak that Disney will ever have in terms of box office, and will determine the future of Hollywood as we know it. The world will finally come to realization that Mickey Mouse is the Antichrist.

:hahaha:

On a more serious note, I sincerely feel bad for Warner Bros., Universal, Sony, and the other studios as they’ve been bought out and will never touch Disney in terms of power.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Fuck naysayers but this has a lot to love. Will, Naomi and Jafar guy looks great! Aladdin is the only weak link but he was never the star in the cartoon anyway, so that's authentic.

Naomi is super charming and pretty. H8rz to the left. 

I’m not hating on it, I’m still pretty hyped for it, but these EW pics and that horrendous magazine cover have lowered my expectations.

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Lion King comes out after those movies

Still, Aladdin is the film haphazardly sandwiched between Avengers and Lion King. Plus, Detective Pikachu will be maintaining its traction as well. I'm not saying Aladdin is doomed, not at all; I'm just saying it's got a lot to overcome.

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Are you saying actors should be cast on looks not talent?

this guy is talented. and hotter than Aladdin actor. If my memory's correct, Jasmine rebuffed Jafar for being old, ugly and evil. This guy simply attracts more attention than Aladdin who is basic Bloom type with Middle Eastern twist. Wait and see, this guy will be a breakout together with Naomi. 

The superstar — who recorded his own version of “Friend Like Me” on the first day he met with the music team — says
 he tapped into his roster of roles from the 1990s (including Independence Day, Bad Boys, and a certain Bel-Air prince from West Philadelphia) to shape his Genie, weaving enough of a flair for fashion into the character to earn the praise of one Disney executive, who described Smith’s Genie as part Fresh Prince, part Hitch.

The Fresh Genie

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Disney's trying to maximize the films they will put onto their Disney Plus streaming in late 2019/early 2020. The more new films they can launch, the more people will sign up immediately. That's the reason they are releasing so much next year.

I mean people are already pissed that they apparently forced Netflix to end their Marvel shows so they could have them in Disney+.

28 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Still, Aladdin is the film haphazardly sandwiched between Avengers and Lion King. Plus, Detective Pikachu will be maintaining its traction as well. I'm not saying Aladdin is doomed, not at all; I'm just saying it's got a lot to overcome.

Strategically, I like how they all seem to be releasing around roughly the same time frame away from each other:

March 29 (Dumbo)

April 26

May 24

June 21 (Toy Story 4)

July 19

The Mouse must be up to something.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Slambros said:

It's between Pikachu and Godzilla.May is a bit crowded

17 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Sure but Godzilla won't be much of a threat (That is gonna under-perform hard too).

Godzilla(2014)open 90M+ 

I don't think King of the monsters will flop.Monster films still has own audiences.The first trailer is one of Best trailers in SDCC.Godzilla Can eat up around 200M in summer.Monster  universe is surely Big in OS markets.Kong:Skull island number is expected

Edited by SliverS
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Sure but Godzilla won't be much of a threat (That is gonna under-perform hard too).

Based on what exactly? The first trailer is far and away the best one this year, and generated quite a ton of buzz when it released alongside Aquaman, Shazam, and Fantastic Beasts. Also based on the early test screenings (including someone from this very own forum fortunate enough to attend), the film is very audience friendly. Aladdin might make more money in the end but Godzilla will definitely cut its legs.

• Like 3