grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

1 hour ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Based on what exactly? The first trailer is far and away the best one this year, and generated quite a ton of buzz when it released alongside Aquaman, Shazam, and Fantastic Beasts. Also based on the early test screenings (including someone from this very own forum fortunate enough to attend), the film is very audience friendly. Aladdin might make more money in the end but Godzilla will definitely cut its legs.

Godzilla is gonna play more to the geek crowd, Aladdin will be more of a general audience movie (if it connects). 

It isn't exactly a secret that the first, admittedly, had tons of hype. But it was pretty much rejected by the GA and a major geek-fest (its legs could be due to any of the two factors I guess). The new trailers are cool, but again they're pretty much just appealing to people who are already sold (that's a generalizing statement, I'm not speaking for every individual).

I don't think Godzilla will do poorly. But I'd say it's very much of a threat to Aladdin than Aladdin is to it, or than Aladdin is to itself. 

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

Another problem with this movie: Jafar looks hot. In the cartoon Jafar is ugly and you want to root against him for that reason. In the live action movie Aladdin looks meh and Hot Jafar is well hot. Maybe that means in the live action Jafar will win :ph34r:

My dick doesn't think it's a problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Alli said:

I admit, the image of will smith is shocking, but i find it hilarious that people complain that Will Smith doesn't look like in the animated version. a few months ago people complained about these live action movies copying the original ones. now disney is giving something different, people still complain...

It's true that people (rightfully) complain when the live action remakes don't offer anything new whatsoever.

However it's equally true that with more original interpretations people still expect quality. I appreciate the attempt to make something fresh, but unfortunately this movie looks really, really ugly so far.

• Thanks 1

The way things are going as of now, this movie has no chance in hell. People are jumping on the hate bandwagon left and right. Even saw some people on Facebook I know saying how awful this looks. I'm betting they are into twitter and are just wanting to say what twitter says.

It's much easier to criticize a movie that has early praise (Mary Poppins Returns) than it is to praise a movie that has early negative press. Solo never recovered the minute it got the slightest amount of unfounded negative press. This movie may suffer the same fate. Had it been left alone or got "hmmm...this looks pretty decent" it would end up being fine. I'm not so sure-not in this day and age. If twitter says it looks bad, then EVERYONE will say it looks bad.

29 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Godzilla is gonna play more to the geek crowd, Aladdin will be more of a general audience movie (if it connects). 

It isn't exactly a secret that the first, admittedly, had tons of hype. But it was pretty much rejected by the GA and a major geek-fest (its legs could be due to any of the two factors I guess). The new trailers are cool, but again they're pretty much just appealing to people who are already sold (that's a generalizing statement, I'm not speaking for every individual).

I don't think Godzilla will do poorly. But I'd say it's very much of a threat to Aladdin than Aladdin is to it, or than Aladdin is to itself. 

Godzilla is a geek movie?At least not in Asia.Giant monsters are always appeal to GA audiences than live-action musicals.Japan loves musicals.But Godzilla also has fan base.It's not a geek movie.King of the monsters will do fine.

Edited by SliverS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SliverS said:

Godzilla is a geek movie?At least not in Asia.Giant monsters are always appeal to GA audiences than live-action musicals.Japan loves musicals.But Godzilla also has fan base.It's not a geek movie.King of the monsters will do fine.

Godzilla has bad legs everywhere. Godzilla 2 should do fine but will have to pay for the sins of the first 

14 minutes ago, SliverS said:

Not only that, but Godzilla’s producer, Legendary, is owned by Wanda. So any money it makes in China will be much more profit for them than any other studio. 

And you can bet it will be a lot since it looks bigger than The Meg and Kong: Skull Island (both of which blew up over there) and it features Zhang Ziyi, a major Chinese star.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Godzilla has bad legs everywhere. Godzilla 2 should do fine but will have to pay for the sins of the first 

Godzilla2 has more monsters.The tone will be different from the first ones.The first is not a bad film.Due to budget,Godzilla Rarely show up.King of the monsters won't have those problems.The last monster verse film is Kong:skull island.Kong is totally fine with BtaB.I don't think Aladdin is Huge As BatB.Godzilla Two trailers and posters are all well received.Don't need to worry about godzilla.I don't see it will pay for sins.It's going to be bigger in OS markets.

Edited by SliverS
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SliverS said:

Godzilla2 has more monsters.The tone will be different from the first ones.I don't see it will pay for it.The last monster verse film is Kong:skull island.Kong is totally fine with BtaB.I don't think Aladdin is Huge As BatB.Godzilla will do fine.Two trailers and posters are all well received.Don't need to worry about godzilla

More monsters will hype the fans but not necessarily the general audiences. The first Godzilla has more novelty of being the first American Godzilla in 16 years and looking truer to the original. Lack of novelty plus following a poorly received film will equal a lesser opening 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I’m pretty sure people forgot about Godzilla 2014, the 5 year wait seems to be paying off since those who loved/liked the first one were already on board for the sequel whereas those who didn’t probably went on with their lives. And granted, it still made $530M WW and $200M, so that tells you once you make a great Godzilla film, there’s potential for it to make it as high as $800M WW. 

Right now I predict the OW will be somewhere in the $75M-90M range domestically.

I for one think Aladdin will badly underperform. There was TONS of hype for BatB, there is TONS of hype for Lion King - but not for Dumbo and not for Aladdin. The film just looks DOA to me and its release date is cursed for Disney tentpoles.

Godzilla will fucking slay. 120M+ OW baby.

• Haha 2