department store basement

Which movies from 2014 will be well remembered in 10 years?

I think Anchorman is likely more remembered than Napoleon Dynamite, though. (Though again, people thought AM2 was gonna be this nostalgia-fueled breakout, and it wasn't.)

Anchorman is certainly more well remembered than Napoleon Dynamite, but it's not the MOST ICONIC COMEDY OF THE DECADE it was hyped as back when it was released. It's not its own fault really, but it was overshadowed by Borat, which was overshadowed by Superbad, which was overshadowed by The Hangover (which is the current standard by which recent comedies are seen today).

Among 00s comedies the most well remembered list is currently Hangover > Superbad > Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz > Borat > Anchorman > Meet the Parents > Mean Girls > Step Brothers. Those are the ones I hear quoted most often.

Edited by department store basement
  • Like 1

GA or film-fans?

Both. On my poll list of 29 I included some movies that were hugely popular with the GA but not film fans (Maleficent, Age of Extinction, 22 Jump Street) and those nobody saw but film fans loved (Boyhood, Nightcrawler). If there's any you'd like to mention that aren't on my list, I'd love to hear what they are!

Well, personally I will certainly re-watch Birdman, Boyhood and Wild several times and remember them fondly. Certainly three jewels for any film-fan's DVD/BluRay collection.

BotFA and GotG are mixed bags for me but will both remain in my and imho in people's memory due to their respective franchise and (in case of the latter) sequels.

I will probably also remember Godzilla as the biggest disappointment of 2014 and Interstellar as... well, whatever it was.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere

I'm closing the poll because I'm making a 2013 poll and the rules say I can't keep two polls open at the same time. I'll keep the thread unlocked for discussion purposes (unless the mods lock it).

The final results of the poll (among movies that got at least one vote) were:

19 votes: Guardians of the Galaxy (no surprise)
14 votes: Boyhood

11 votes: American Sniper, Captain America 2, Interstellar, The Lego Movie

9 votes: Edge of Tomorrow

8 votes: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Whiplash

7 votes: Gone Girl

6 votes: X-Men: Days of Future Past

5 votes: Big Hero 6, The Hobbit 3

4 votes: The Grand Budapest Hotel

3 votes: 22 Jump Street, Birdman, The Fault in Our Stars, Nightcrawler

2 votes: Godzilla, Maleficent, Mockingjay Part 1, Transformers: Age of Extinction

1 vote: Divergent, The Imitation Game

Edited by department store basement

Anchorman may not be as remembered as you think but the fact you're talking about it means it succeeded. Most comedies come and go, even if they make bank. Anchorman definitely is remembered more than Meet the Fockers that made like 5x the amount of money?

Besides, people grow up in different places so it is hard to say definitely what is remembered more.

I'm sure the UK remembers Mamma Mia hell of a lot more than America.

No one remembers the Pokemon movies but they are a yearly franchise in Japan.

Within America, apparently San Andreas did very well on the West Coast, so that $150m is already skewed to a certain demographic.

Plus we forget that we are in the minority of people who do see multiple movies a year. Tens of millions don't even watch one.

Everybody remembers every movie because it helps you to build your tastes and ranking movies.

This thread could be called " what are your 2014 favorite movies" and you would have the same answer.

Everybody remembers every movie because it helps you to build your tastes and ranking movies.

This thread could be called " what are your 2014 favorite movies" and you would have the same answer.

I put movies in my list and the 2013 list that I didn't like
  • Like 1