department store basement

Which movies from 2014 will be well remembered in 10 years?

Since half a year has gone by since the end of 2014, now is a good time to ask you guys: in 10 years, what do you think the most remembered movies from that year will be? Which ones will be seen by the younger generation as emblematic of 2014? Discuss!

I chose the 29 that I find most likely. I put an "other" option just in case you think something else will still have a legacy.

EDIT: Poll closed as of 7/24.

Edited by department store basement

HAHA who the fuck voted for Grand Budapest, Boyhood and Whiplash? They've already been forgotten about and its only been a year lmao.

You tried.

I always end up sticking around for the entirety of Boyhood every time I pass by Showtime and it's on.

You tried.

I always end up sticking around for the entirety of Boyhood every time I pass by Showtime and it's on.

So, doesn't mean it will be remembered. GOTG wil easily be the most remembered due to being park of a franchise soon. Interstellar, Godzilla and Gone girl which have had no votes so far will be more remembered than Boyhood, Grand Budapest and Whiplash

Based on the options:

American Sniper- Highest grossing movie domestically of 2014, definitely will not be forgotten.

Big Hero 6- Disney.

Birdman- Best Picture winner.

Boyhood- The 12 year aspect.

Captain America- Marvel.

Dawn of the POTA- Second great entry into a hopefully all great trilogy.

Edge of Tomorrow- This will end up being a cult movie.

Godzilla- Will be remembered as a disappointment.

Gone Girl- Fincher.

Grand Budapest- Anderson.

Guardians of the Galaxy- Marvel.

The Hobbit- The end of the biggest letdowns in recent memory.

Mockingjay- The Hunger Games won't be forgotten unlike Maze Runner and Divergent.

Interstellar- Nolan.

Lego- Proof that cash grabs can be good.

Maleficent- Disney.

Nightcrawler- Will become a cult movie.

Whiplash- Will become a cult movie.

X-Men- Marvel.

• Like 1

Guardians of the galaxy will probably be the widest remembered well received film, the best reviewed and most popular film of a year is always the most remembered. Hardly anyone will know what Birdman is. as it made no money and tons of the GA hated it. I can't even think of what the BP winner was in 2004.

Edited by Kalo

I can't even think of what the BP winner was in 2004.

Million Dollar Baby. Which is easily in the top 10 most remembered from that year, and might even be #2 behind The Incredibles.

Every BP winner since 1999 bar The Artist and maybe Chicago is very well remembered.

Considering Chicago is widely credited with bringing the musical back in style after the genre had been dormant for two decades, I'd say it's very well remembered.

Yeah it is well remembered thanks to its legacy, but relative to other BP's it doesn't seem that way. I just hear people talk about it much less regularly than the other 2000s BP winners. Even Hurt Locker. I'm not stating my opinion, I'm just going from experience. Maybe I just run in the wrong circles? (At my high school, the musical was very well liked by my classmates but the movie really wasn't)

Million Dollar Baby. Which is easily in the top 10 most remembered from that year, and might even be #2 behind The Incredibles.

Every BP winner since 1999 bar The Artist and maybe Chicago is very well remembered.

Spider-man 2, Shrek 2, passion of the Christ, meet the fockers, Anchorman. These are all more remembered than Million dollar baby and Incredibles (maybe with the exception of Anchorman there)

Spider-man 2, Shrek 2, passion of the Christ, meet the fockers, Anchorman. These are all more remembered than Million dollar baby and Incredibles (maybe with the exception of Anchorman there)

Only Spider-Man 2 stands a chance, and it doesn't beat Incredibles.

Troy, I Robot, The Notebook, Kill Bill Vol. 2, and HP Prisoner of Azkaban are all higher than the other 4 you mentioned. Probably Shaun of the Dead too since it's a Halloween staple.

Shrek 2 is very well remembered today, and so is Anchorman (though it's way less quoted today than when I was in high school, which is not the case for Shaun of the Dead). Most of what I hear about Fockers today is that it was much less entertaining than Parents. I never hear anyone talk about Passion of the Christ anymore. Box office numbers don't mean a thing for longevity in moviegoers' minds.

Only Spider-Man 2 stands a chance, and it doesn't beat Incredibles.

Troy, I Robot, The Notebook, Kill Bill Vol. 2, and HP Prisoner of Azkaban are all higher than the other 4 you mentioned. Probably Shaun of the Dead too since it's a Halloween staple.

Shrek 2 is very well remembered today, and so is Anchorman (though it's way less quoted today than when I was in high school, which is not the case for Shaun of the Dead). Most of what I hear about Fockers today is that it was much less entertaining than Parents. I never hear anyone talk about Passion of the Christ anymore. Box office numbers don't mean a thing for longevity in moviegoers' minds.

Sorry but you just have no clue. The Incredibles over shrek 2 and Spiderman 2? Lmao. Sure you are probably right in passion, thinking about it no-one seems to care for it but people putting Incredibles and MDB as the top 2 is hilariously wrong. Shaun I'd the dead, one of my favourite movies is only well loved and quotes in the UK. A lot of Americans have yet to see that piece of genius.

Troy and I'Robot were forgotten about right away and POA is just that other Harry Potter movie. And kill bill 2? Lol no, just no

As for anchorman, sure it isn't as quotes as much as it used to be but show anyone a picture of Ron Burhandy and they know who it is. Its arguably more remembered than The Notebook.

Edited by jessie

I love it how a thread about which movies from 2014 will be most remembered in 2025 is turning into an argument about which films from 2004 are most remembered in 2015. It's so perfect.

I remember when it seemed like Napoleon Dynamite was destined to become a generational classic. Sure, it's remembered, but it doesn't feel to me that it's remembered to the degree people thought it would be remembered.

Just remembered that Mean Girls was also 2004.

I honestly can't form enough of an opinion about 2014 to vote. GOTG and Sniper will certainly be remembered to some degree. Lego as well. Beyond that, I can't predict.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

No it's not, The Incredibles, Spider-Man 2, Shrek 2.. all come to mind first for me. 

I also hated Million Dollar Baby

it had one of the most hopeless, depressing endings I've ever seen in a film and it ruined the entire movie for me)

• Like 1