CJohn

The Gift (2015)

24 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It

I really liked it. The cast is absolutely tremendous and Edgerton's subtle direction is really effective. He slowly ratchets up the tension with every little detail, fleshing out his characters without giving away the payoff. Edgerton is definitely a unique talent, since he's one of the best actors currently working at the moment and it looks like he has a bright future as a director as well.

A-

One of the best of the year so far.

I guessed the final twist the moment Robyn had to talk about her lost baby, but it was still pretty shocking as could ever be when everything was revealed to me.

My only quibble was the plot point of Simon fabricating information to get his coworker fired, ridiculous and artificial attempt of making Simon the bad guy that is left with nothing in the end. Almost ruined all the good work in building morally grey and complex characters.  

85/90, maybe a 90/100

I absolutely loved this. Definitely a throwback to those 90s psychological thrillers as others have pointed out, although where I kept expecting this to go into big, overblown melodrama, Edgerton keeps it nicely reined in and understated. Very keen to see what else he's got up his sleeve. 

9/10

I really enjoyed it, and it's very well crafted.  My biggest problem with the ending is Gordo's plot isn't as genius as the film makes it out to be.

He left legal proof of his lawbreaking, and a simple paternity test would determine who the child is.  

I like the core theme and idea behind it, but the "revenge" isn't actually all that strong if you think about it.  That weakened the effect of the payoff for me.  

The film as a whole as to realism and is believable while watching, but a lot of it can unravel pretty quickly if you think more than Edgerton wants you too.  Plus, the bit with Bateman fabricating information was out of left field and really unnecessary. 

It's a strong film though and Edgerton is great in it, and Bateman and Hall are good too.  The pacing is strong and it keeps you in suspense.  I wouldn't call it glowing though.  It unravels a little too easily.

B

Edited by The Panda Menace

On 21/11/2015 at 1:56 AM, Goffe said:

One of the best of the year so far.

I guessed the final twist the moment Robyn had to talk about her lost baby, but it was still pretty shocking as could ever be when everything was revealed to me.

My only quibble was the plot point of Simon fabricating information to get his coworker fired, ridiculous and artificial attempt of making Simon the bad guy that is left with nothing in the end. Almost ruined all the good work in building morally grey and complex characters.  

85/90, maybe a 90/100

But Simon is a bad guy, that scene did feel a bit out of place, but it showed to his wife that he's still a bully and a liar, because of that he lost his job and his wife lost trust in him. Eventually people find out about your lies and attempts to screw them, and this will all come back to you, i think this message was pretty clear. I don't think this movie was trying to be morally gray, Simon was clearly a douchebag.

I'm not saying Gordon was a nice guy, though. There's no nice guy in this movie.

1 hour ago, JohnnY said:

But Simon is a bad guy, that scene did feel a bit out of place, but it showed to his wife that he's still a bully and a liar, because of that he lost his job and his wife lost trust in him. Eventually people find out about your lies and attempts to screw them, and this will all come back to you, i think this message was pretty clear. I don't think this movie was trying to be morally gray, Simon was clearly a douchebag.

I'm not saying Gordon was a nice guy, though. There's no nice guy in this movie.

I didn't see it that way. People are flawed, but that doesn't make them bad guys. 

Both were victims to different extent, young Gordo suffered because of the actions of some stupid teenager being stupid, Simon was that way because of how he was raised by his father.

I felt that plot point was out of his character because, aside from what he did to Gordo ~20 years ago, the movie never showed as some kind of sociopath. he looked like a regular guy and a loving husband. Even though Simon only went to apologize to Gordo because his wife demanded him to, he looked truly sorry for what he did (in his own way).

3 minutes ago, Goffe said:

I didn't see it that way. People are flawed, but that doesn't make them bad guys. 

Both were victims to different extent, young Gordo suffered because of the actions of some stupid teenager being stupid, Simon was that way because of how he was raised by his father.

I felt that plot point was out of his character because, aside from what he did to Gordo ~20 years ago, the movie never showed as some kind of sociopath. he looked like a regular guy and a loving husband. Even though Simon only went to apologize to Gordo because his wife demanded him to, he looked truly sorry for what he did (in his own way).

I just finished watching the film half hour ago. What on earth are you talking about? Simon manipulates and controls his wife, her friendships, her work life, her health, both physical and mental. He was not a loving husband, that's why two thirds through the film Robyn tells him to his face that she is sick of him bullying her, and why she leaves him at the end. 

Not a sociopath? He lies about absolutely everything to manipulate others for personal gain... that's the definition of a sociopath or psychopath. 

OK, I'm in the middle of you two I guess lol

Maybe not bad guys, fine, but his actions were definitely showed as bad behaviour. It was pretty clear that Simon was behaving like a douche since the scene in which he talks about Gordon's nickname. And after we learn all that he did to Gordon, his mockery becomes even more repulsive. He didn't seem like a bad husband for me, though, as soon as his lies started to pop out, yes, but he wasn't abusive or anything like that, he didn't control her life to that extent.

56 minutes ago, In the Heart of the Tree said:

I just finished watching the film half hour ago. What on earth are you talking about? Simon manipulates and controls his wife, her friendships, her work life, her health, both physical and mental. He was not a loving husband, that's why two thirds through the film Robyn tells him to his face that she is sick of him bullying her, and why she leaves him at the end. 

Not a sociopath? He lies about absolutely everything to manipulate others for personal gain... that's the definition of a sociopath or psychopath. 

That was my take when I saw it. Can't remember the specifics very well, but everything he did, the manipulation and the lying, was to hide something horrible he did a long time ago and that could destroy his marriage. The other things you listed looks like normal marriage problems to me, problems that two people can possibly encounter when they get together.

Simon is not perfect by any stretch of imagination, but he's hardly someone I would root agaisnt.

seeing the movie the way you do would surely make it a lot less interesting.

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

That was my take when I saw it. Can't remember the specifics very well, but everything he did, the manipulation and the lying, was to hide something horrible he did a long time ago and that could destroy his marriage. The other things you listed looks like normal marriage problems to me, problems that two people can possibly encounter when they get together.

Simon is not perfect by any stretch of imagination, but he's hardly someone I would root agaisnt.

oh come on, being honest about your past mistakes will not ruin your marriage. Lying to your partner will. Or even worse, lying to cover up another lie.

The thing is, he lied because he didn't want to apologize. And when his wife made him apoloize, he hit the guy... and then lied about it. That's pretty evil if you ask me.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
2 hours ago, Goffe said:

Simon is an unlikable protagonist by the end. That's...part of what makes the movie so interesting, it's that in the end Simon was a terrible person.

4 minutes ago, JohnnY said:

oh come on, being honest about your past mistakes will not ruin your marriage. Lying to your partner will. Or even worse, lying to cover up another lie.

That's why I said "could". 

It's not something you would want to share with someone close to you, ever. 

If I remember well, she decided to leave him after she discovered what he did. I know the lies played a part on that, but still.

The thing is, he lied because he didn't want to apologize. And when his wife made him apoloize, he hit the guy... and then lied about it. That's pretty evil if you ask me.

Sure, Simon went there to apologize because his wife told him to, but he looked honest while he was doing it. To apologize and ask for forgiveness is not something easily accomplishable, especially for someone like Simon. One can easily regret something and still feel reluctant in asking for forgiveness, for many reasons.

Simon hit Gordo because he was being all bitchy and immature. Doesn't justify Simon actions, but it explains without painting him as a bad guy.