CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

Will the superhero genre survive 8 major superhero movies next year?

7 major movies. People don't see TMNT as a superhero franchise. Two of those will flop but the genre will continue just fine.

Will the superhero genre survive 8 major superhero movies next year?

Deadpool will be treated as a big comedy, but still small in the face of everything else.

BVS, Civil War, Xmen are major.

Suicide Squad has enough to differentiate itself, that could be true for Strange but we don't know yet.

Gambit and Dr Strange will do well but not be huge major movies. Something on the scale of AntMan. Strange will probably gross more.

Deadpool will be treated as a big comedy, but still small in the face of everything else.

BVS, Civil War, Xmen are major.

Suicide Squad has enough to differentiate itself, that could be true for Strange but we don't know yet.

Gambit and Dr Strange will do well but not be huge major movies. Something on the scale of AntMan. Strange will probably gross more.

I doubt Strange and Gambit's grosses will be anywhere near each other.

Nothing from any of the sites I read to find this stuff, but the trailers look interesting and inventive and I don't think GDT has a complete stinker up his sleeves. At bare minimum it should be a very interesting watch. 

Stephen King really liked it, so there's that. 

That's the first horror movie to intrigue me in quite awhile. I don't think it will do well at all though.

I definitely think there's an audience for Deadpool and doing it right is smarter than going the PG-13 route. It would definitely flop that way as it would be just another generic looking CBM and the fans wouldn't be pleased. The first trailer was strong, if they keep it up and the movie delivers it can do Kingsman numbers I think. Gambit is likely to flop, but haven't seen anything yet either so who knows.

Edited by MovieMan89

I've said countless times and get it right: AVATAR made what it did off the 3D which made the movie a "Must See" and everyone knows it for like the umpteenth time.. I mean, are you serious?? You're not going to give CT the benefit of the doubt in making SW9???

See CJohn?

I have a feeling dcu is going to fall flat on its face. DC is going about it all wrong.

I think Suicide Squad will have a hard time coming off the inevitably mixed WOM of BvS. But I doubt they can really fall flat on their face though with BvS. Even if it sucks it will clear 300 with ease. They won't be an MCU killer though or real threat, that I agree.

Matt Damon plays an astronaut who is left behind on Mars when a manned mission is forced to abort due to a big sandstorm. He has to use the available resources left behind at the landing zone to stay alive until he can contact NASA and await a rescue mission.

It's kind of like the second half of Apollo 13, except on Mars instead of in space near the Moon.

SOLD.. This sounds a lot like what they're trying to so right now with NASA trying to put together a manned mission to the red planet, except of course, it's a 1 way Journey and you're never coming back.. Would you do it?? How about it folks: If given the Opportunity to go to Mars knowing you wouldn't come back, would you go???

I have yet to pay much of any attention to The Martian, but it sounds like one of those movies where I might have trouble getting into just based on the premise. As BKB says, a Mars mission is likely a one-way ticket for the very foreseeable future. No one is coming to rescue you... PERIOD. It's uneconomical and the planetary alignment makes the travel window very limited. NASA would most likely just try to keep you alive long enough to do whatever is you went there to do before letting you die. I don't know if that would make the most desirable movie (but I do like the idea of knowing you will die, but can you accomplish your mission before doing so? — diff movie though). I will have to checkout the trailers nonetheless. 

Answering the question though... No... I'm not adventurous/space obsessed. 

See CJohn?

:lol: Well I think the 3D and the fantastic visual effects were the main reason, but if people didn't liked the story and characters WOM wouldn't have been as good. Lets just apply the 3D novelty and the fantastic special effects in a movie like The Last Airbender, for example. While they would have helped his legs a bit, the thing would have still died. Avatar is a combination of a lot of things. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

The Martian is partially set on Mars and it announces that in its title. That alone dooms it at the BO. Then add Ridley into the mix and could be an epic bomb.

:kitschjob:

Excluding DWA and Home, watch Kingsman be Fox's biggest success this year (or maybe Joy).

FOX never had a good schedule for 2015 in the first place. Sony and Paramount easily join them. This is the world of Universal, WB and Disney now.