department store basement

Which movies from 2012 will be well remembered in 10 years?

Yep, another one of these.

Choose however many you want. This is about the GP and movie fans in general and not about your opinion.

The choices were much harder to choose than in the 2014 and 2013 polls. I anticipate a good number of the choices will be controversial and that there will be a few write-ins.

Edit: Poll closed on 8/24.

Edited by department store basement

Snowhite and the Huntsman, Taken 2 and MIB3 are the three choices you should replace with something that at least has a chance to be remembered in 10 years, those have already evaporated.

Pitch Perfect, Zero Dark Thirty, Lincoln, Magic Mike, Chronicle, Project X have a better shot at being more remembered than those 3 even if they did't grossed as much at BO.

• Like 1

How? Did the many, many, many other superhero movies since 1978 not do that?

(Of course Avengers will be well remembered, but I don't think it impacted comic book sales THAT much.)

After Avengers I saw lots of non-nerds wearing Marvel or DC shirts everywhere I went. Even Batman 89, with all its hype, didn't have that impact.

Avengers - obviously

TDKR - Bane

Hunger Games - started one of the most iconic modern franchises

Ted - novelty

Skyfall - brought Bond to the big leagues

Wild card will be 21JS - I think that movie is going to gain following ala Mean Girls

Life of Pi

The Dark Knight Rises

The Avengers

Lincoln

Men In Black 3

Skyfall

The Hunger Games

Django Unchained

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted

Argo

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Ted

Wreck It Ralph

The Amazing Spiderman

MrFanaticGuy34, you should vote in the poll!

(I know you didn't vote because Life of Pi and MIB3 have zero votes right now)

Poll closed due to lack of activity.

Results:

14 votes: The Avengers (no surprise)

10 votes: The Dark Knight Rises (again, no surprise)

9 votes: Django Unchained, The Hunger Games (also no surprise)

8 votes: Skyfall

6 votes: 21 Jump Street

5 votes: Ted

4 votes: Argo, Wreck-It Ralph

3 votes: The Hobbit 1, Silver Linings Playbook

2 votes: The Cabin In the Woods, Cloud Atlas, Looper

1 vote: Life of Pi, Men In Black 3, Moonrise Kingdom, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Prometheus

Five movies received zero votes (Brave, Flight, Les Miserables, Snow White and the Huntsman, and Taken 2). I understand the latter three, but why do people think Brave and Flight will be mostly forgotten?

There are many movies that I would have liked to include (Hotel Transylvania, John Carter, Lincoln, Dark Shadows, Jack Reacher, Safe House, Total Recall, The Vow, The Dictator, This Means War, Zero Dark Thirty, The Woman In Black, Chronicle, Pitch Perfect, and Project X), but since they are all around the same level of popularity right now I had to cut all of them since the poll can only handle up to 29 plus an "Other" choice.

Edited by department store basement
  • Like 1

Nobody is going to remember TDKR. There are a billion superheroes coming out and they can't all be worse than it, thus, in 10 years mediocrity will be forgotten.

The Dark Knight Rises is definitely going to be remembered, for better or worse. On one hand, its ardent supporters will continue to love and defend it; and on the other hand, the people who were disappointed with it will still associated it with The Dark Knight and assert that it was, in fact, The Biggest Disappointment Ever. And as if the internet's association of the film with those two extremes wasn't already enough, its legacy is most unfortunately tied with the Aurora massacre.

• Like 1