John Marston

UltraHD Blurays and players will start coming by Christmas 2015

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=17520

Twentieth Century Fox has revealed the first batch of titles that will be released on 4K Blu-ray. They are Exodus: Gods and Kings, Kingsman: The Secret Service, Fantastic Four, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Life of Pi, The Maze Runner and Wild.

At IFA in Berlin, Mike Dunn, president of Fox Home Entertainment said: "We are committed to releasing our slate of movies going forward in Ultra HD with high dynamic range, day and date, with the Digital HD and Blu-ray release. We believe it is critical to have rich, compelling content available to consumers as the UHD TV market continues to grow."

these are all new movies that already look great on regular Blu ray. How much better can they be? I think I can hold off for now.

I rarely buy Blu-Rays as is, but 4K could get me buying again when the market is ready.

I'm there day one for Fant4stic.

You're going to go nuts when WB has Interstellar, Inception, and TDK trilogy as part of their first 4K Blu-Rays.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Some of these movies weren't even finished in 4K. With normal viewing distances, you're not gonna see a difference unless you have an absolutely giant TV or projector (100" or up).

I have a projector. Does that mean then this actually worth it?

Edited by John Marston

I have a projector. Does that mean then this actually worth it?

What's the resolution of the projector? Are you throwing on a custom screen? What's the size of your viewing image and how far do you sit away?

For almost every situation (aside from fairly expensive home theater setups), I'm not sure what you'll gain from a nicely calibrated 1080p system.

You won't need it right now but I am glad the transition to 4K is underway for blu-ray. 4K streaming is coming too so this shouldn't surprise anyone. It's just the next resolution upgrade (skipping 1440p? whatever.) that seems unnecessary now, but in 5 years time will be totally normal.

personally I enjoy watching blu rays on my PC, with a distance of about 1 foot between me and the screen. this could do nicely for me.

You won't need it right now but I am glad the transition to 4K is underway for blu-ray. 4K streaming is coming too so this shouldn't surprise anyone. It's just the next resolution upgrade (skipping 1440p? whatever.) that seems unnecessary now, but in 5 years time will be totally normal.

personally I enjoy watching blu rays on my PC, with a distance of about 1 foot between me and the screen. this could do nicely for me.

But you won't see a difference, that's the thing. And for any movie shot digitally up until, say, 2011 or so, "4K" just means upsampling the original image.

Well-shot 4K material displayed on a good 4K display looks gorgeous. But there are several places in that sequence that can make "4K" a moot point.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

I am just kinda bummed by all of this. I hope the PS4 gets an update in the future that allows it to read 4K discs. I also know for sure special editions will now be even more expensive because they will now bring the 4K + BR 3D + BR versions, and the 4K disc will be useless to me. I have a HD TV but it is far from a worthy TV to see a 4K movie. I assume the DVD will fully disappear in the next 2/3 years.

Edited by CJohn

Some of these movies weren't even finished in 4K. With normal viewing distances, you're not gonna see a difference unless you have an absolutely giant TV or projector (100" or up). 

My parents have a projector (over 100", the size of a small theater screen) at their house, so I guess it'd be worth it for them.  Most people don't really invest in that though.

My parents have a projector (over 100", the size of a small theater screen) at their house, so I guess it'd be worth it for them.  Most people don't really invest in that though.

What's the resolution of their projector? If it's not 4K, then it's a waste of time for them too.

Edited by Telemachos

I am just kinda bummed by all of this. I hope the PS4 gets an update in the future that allows it to read 4K discs. I also know for sure special editions will now be even more expensive because they will now bring the 4K + BR 3D + BR versions, and the 4K disc will be useless to me. I have a HD TV but it is far from a worthy TV to see a 4K movie. I assume the DVD will fully disappear in the next 2/3 years.

The average Joe & jane don't even see the difference in quality between an upscaled DVD & a blu-ray.

I ve tested that theory too many times and people say to me Blu ray isn't just worth it.

"It looks the same, meh"

They could care less about 4k & 8k & 16 k ...

The average Joe & jane don't even see the difference in quality between an upscaled DVD & a blu-ray.

I ve tested that theory too many times and people say to me Blu ray isn't just worth it.

"It looks the same, meh"

They could care less about 4k & 8k & 16 k ...

Those sorts of people need their eyes checking.

It'll definitely be at least another 2 years before I go near 4K tvs, I've only had my TV for about 18 months so far.