WrathOfHan

Screenplay Categories- 2015 Predictions

Surprised we don't already have a thread for the screenplay categories. My predictions:

Original:

Bridge of Spies

The Hateful Eight

Inside Out

Joy
Spotlight

Adapted:

Black Mass

Carol

The Martian

The Revenant

Steve Jobs

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

Well I... actually agree with all of those picks. Adapted looks really weak this year, I won't be surprised if Sorkin wins his second. It's a shame Fury Road most likely will be snubbed due to having the "least" writing (and, well, being the kind of movie it is), even though it has a more elegant story construction and more memorable dialogue than most screenplays of any year.

Original could be an interesting race with Tarantino vs Pixar vs Coens vs DOR. I'd love it if Inside Out took this one, it's about time an animated film won for screenplay. 

• Like 3

Well I... actually agree with all of those picks. Adapted looks really weak this year, I won't be surprised if Sorkin wins his second. It's a shame Fury Road most likely will be snubbed due to having the "least" writing (and, well, being the kind of movie it is), even though it has a more elegant story construction and more memorable dialogue than most screenplays of any year.

Original could be an interesting race with Tarantino vs Pixar vs Coens vs DOR. I'd love it if Inside Out took this one, it's about time an animated film won for screenplay. 

Inside Out will probably be this year's Her. I don't think Mad Max should get a screenplay nod as much as I loved it, the nuances are in Miller's directing. 

• Like 1

Interesting tidbit I found out today: the FYC scripts that're mailed out (and/or offered for download) aren't the actual original (or even shooting) scripts, they've been edited/rearranged to conform to the final movie.

In terms of MMFR, if you love the movie, I'm not sure you can separate the "nuances" from specific direction or concepts that were baked into the script. It's very well constructed from a story perspective.

• Like 2

Interesting tidbit I found out today: the FYC scripts that're mailed out (and/or offered for download) aren't the actual original (or even shooting) scripts, they've been edited/rearranged to conform to the final movie.

Yeah, that would make sense.

Yeah, that would make sense.

It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, at least initially, but it does go to show how hopefully muddled and combined all these categories are: in this case, you're not really voting on "the writing", you're voting on the movie and how it's put together: or in other words, you're voting on the editing, acting, directing, etc.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, at least initially, but it does go to show how hopefully muddled and combined all these categories are: in this case, you're not really voting on "the writing", you're voting on the movie and how it's put together: or in other words, you're voting on the editing, acting, directing, etc.

Every voting category is based on what you see in the finished product and Screenplay should be no different. I think it's just a poorly titled category. "Best dialogue" would be more accurate I suppose, but still not exactly correct given that judging writing is not just about that. 

Edited by 99 Trees
  • Like 1

Original:

The Hateful Eight

Inside Out

Joy

Spotlight

Trainwreck

Alternates:

Youth

Bridge of Spies

Suffragette

Adapted:

Brooklyn

Carol

The Revenant

Steve Jobs

Trumbo

Alternates:

Room

The Danish Girl

The Martian

Trainwreck? Interesting.

I really doubt Trainwreck will beat out Bridge of Spies. The original category is gonna be a bloodbath this year, between Joy, Spotlight, and Inside Out alone.

Steve Jobs has to have the most flashy script in the adapted category so I guess it'll win there. Maybe Carol or something has a small chance.

Edited by Jake Gittes

I really doubt Trainwreck will beat out Bridge of Spies. The original category is gonna be a bloodbath this year, between Joy, Spotlight, and Inside Out alone.

Steve Jobs has to have the most flashy script in the adapted category so I guess it'll win there. Maybe Carol or something has a small chance.

Adapted's between Jobs and The Martian IMO, maybe Revenant depending how dialogue heavy it is.

Original:

Bridge of Spies

The Hateful Eight

Inside Out

Joy

Spotlight

Alternates:

1. Son of Saul

2. Trainwreck

3. Youth

4. Suffragette

5. The Good Dinosaur

Adapted:

Brooklyn

Carol

The Revenant

Room

Steve Jobs

Alternates:

1. The Martian

2. The Big Short

3. Anomalisa

4. Trumbo

5. The Danish Girl

Number of experts predicting a win/nomination on Gold Derby:

Original: 

Spotlight: 11/22 (everyone is predicting a nomination)

Joy: 6/17

Inside Out: 3/21

The Hateful Eight: 2/17

Bridge of Spies: 0/14

Trainwreck: 0/6

Suffragette: 0/4

Youth: 0/3

Love and Mercy: 0/2

Son of Saul: 0/2

Clouds of Sils Maria: 0/1

Straight Outta Compton: 0/1

Adapted:

Steve Jobs: 15/22 (everyone is predicting a nomination)

The Martian: 3/8

Carol: 2/17

Room: 1/20

Anomalisa: 1/1

Brooklyn: 0/16

The Revenant: 0/16

The Danish Girl: 0/3

Beasts of No Nation: 0/2

Trumbo: 0/2

45 Years: 0/1

The Big Short: 0/1

The Lady in the Van: 0/1