CJohn

Uncharted | February 18, 2022 | Trailer on Page 28!

On 10/25/2016 at 11:57 PM, marveldcfox said:

solid choice. Real Steel was good and so was his indie drama This is where I leave you?

Moreover, he is producer of such awesome stuff as Arrival and Stranger Things.

Were those movies really that god?  I thought This Is Where I Leave You was terrible

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/real_steel/

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/this_is_where_i_leave_you

The director of Night at the Museum Working on the Uncharted movie doesn't sound like great news.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UTJeff said:

Were those movies really that god?  I thought This Is Where I Leave You was terrible

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/real_steel/

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/this_is_where_i_leave_you

The director of Night at the Museum Working on the Uncharted movie doesn't sound like great news.

He did Stranger Things.  Times have changed.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

He did Stranger Things.  Times have changed.

Stranger Things is a Netflix TV show, not a video game movie.  Also, he's not the creator and showrunner of Stranger Things.  The creators and showrunners are the Duffer Bros.  The show is not his concept that he came up with and shepherded.

You know what Alan Taylor worked on before Terminator Genisys?  Game of Thrones. 

Shawn Levy has used his power and influence to produce and executive-produce some very cool and nifty projects, STRANGER THINGS being one of them. However, I'm not particularly impressed with him as a director -- his greatest ability seems to be gathering quality talent to work with, and being an easy-going guy to work with. That's not nothing, but it also means some pretty by-the-numbers directing efforts (for me, at least).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UTJeff said:

Stranger Things is a Netflix TV show, not a video game movie.  Also, he's not the creator and showrunner of Stranger Things.  The creators and showrunners are the Duffer Bros.  The show is not his concept that he came up with and shepherded.

You know what Alan Taylor worked on before Terminator Genisys?  Game of Thrones. 

You know what Doug Liman worked on before Edge of Tomorrow?  Jumper.

You know what Doug Liman worked on before Edge of Tomorrow?  Jumper.

And before that he made Swingers, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and The Bourne Identity which are great, classic films...so...what's your point?

If you are comparing track records, I'm pretty sure Liman stacks well ahead of Shawn Levy.  Heck, I'd be less nervous if he got the gig instead of Levy.  Not convinced it can work, but I think he'd be a smarter choice.

Just now, UTJeff said:

And before that he made Swingers, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and The Bourne Identity which are great, classic films...so...what's your point?

If you are comparing track records, I'm pretty sure Liman stacks well ahead of Shawn Levy.  Heck, I'd be less nervous if he got the gig instead of Levy.  Not convinced it can work, but I think he'd be a smarter choice.

Did you just call Mr. and Mrs. Smith a "great classic film?" :rofl:

What I'm saying is that people who have previously worked on a bad project can easily make good ones in the future.

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Did you just call Mr. and Mrs. Smith a "great classic film?" :rofl:

What I'm saying is that people who have previously worked on a bad project can easily make good ones in the future.

It has the same Rotten Tomatoes score as Real Steel.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mr_and_mrs_smith/

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/real_steel

Your move chief.  Also you want to credit him for Stranger Things which isn't even his show and concept.  He didn't create Stranger Things.  Yeah he worked on it and I'm sure he helped get it made and was probably instrumental in getting it on Netflix.  But he didn't conceive the concept and look of that show.  The first two episodes were also directed by the Duffer Brothers.  So they set the tone and bar from the show.  It's not like David Lynch who was very much the co-creator of Twin Peaks. 

1 minute ago, UTJeff said:

It has the same Rotten Tomatoes score as Real Steel.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mr_and_mrs_smith/

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/real_steel

Your move chief.  Also you want to credit him for Stranger Things which isn't even his show and concept.  He didn't create Stranger Things.  Yeah he worked on it and I'm sure he helped get it made and was probably instrumental in getting it on Netflix.  But he didn't conceive the concept and look of that show.  The first two episodes were also directed by the Duffer Brothers.  So they set the tone and bar from the show.  It's not like David Lynch who was very much the co-creator of Twin Peaks. 

Ok, so two films that I'm indifferent on have the same RT score.  Ask why I should care.

My original point was that he has worked on something of quality recently, and it's not like he's incapable of making a good movie.  But now you're turning it into some pointless RT feud over which film has the higher rating.

Ok, so two films that I'm indifferent on have the same RT score.  Ask why I should care.

My original point was that he has worked on something of quality recently, and it's not like he's incapable of making a good movie.  But now you're turning it into some pointless RT feud over which film has the higher rating.

Just because he did a reasonably good job on a TV show that wasn't even his doesn't convince me he's ready to knock Uncharted out of the park.  

Doug Liman has his failures as well, but IMHO he's at least proven to have a fairly strong track record showing he can do multiple genres and larger scale projects after starting small with Swingers.

There's something else to consider.

If Assassin's Creed just flat out bombs this weekend, do you all think notoriously frugal and micro-managing studio head Tom Rothman will still be up to greenlight Uncharted, especially when it would likely cost upwards of $200 million or more?  Uncharted would not be cheap...at all.

4 minutes ago, UTJeff said:

Also you want to credit him for Stranger Things which isn't even his show and concept.  He didn't create Stranger Things.

And he will not create this too. Joe Carnahan is the screenwriter and the ex-director. Shawn Levy arrived late for the job.

Just now, UTJeff said:

Just because he did a reasonably good job on a TV show that wasn't even his doesn't convince me he's ready to knock Uncharted out of the park.  

Doug Liman has his failures as well, but IMHO he's at least proven to have a fairly strong track record showing he can do multiple genres and larger scale projects after starting small with Swingers.

There's something else to consider.

If Assassin's Creed just flat out bombs this weekend, do you all think notoriously frugal and micro-managing studio head Tom Rothman will still be up to greenlight Uncharted, especially when it would likely cost upwards of $200 million or more?  Uncharted would not be cheap...at all.

I never said he was gonna knock it out of the park for sure, I just think he's not a terrible choice.

1 minute ago, Durden said:

And he will not create this too. Joe Carnahan is the screenwriter and the ex-director. Shawn Levy arrived late for the job.

Carnahan was never attached as director.  Also, TV and film are different.  In TV, most of the creative license is on the writers and showrunners and executive producers.  For a TV episode, directors are more or less hired guns.  In film, they oversee all aspects of production.  

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I never said he was gonna knock it out of the park for sure, I just think he's not a terrible choice.

With respect I disagree.  Nothing against the guy, but IMHO he hasn't made a single great film.  Him working on Stranger Things doesn't convince me he's still not a terrible choice.  

I'm a huge Uncharted fan, and I'm way more invested in this movie than most other game movies.  I'm still convinced it can't be done and work on film.  

I said some time back that Tom Rothman had found out about Assassin's Creed. That's why this movie became TBD. Frankly, no one will have the guts to greenlit a video game based movie after Assassin's Creed, which had an A list actor leading the movie and spearheading the movie as a producer. Warcraft had B-C level talents...but this has oscar nominated or winners..LOOOL

You know who could make a fun Uncharted movie...Peter Berg. The Rundown is kinda like that..a fun jungle action adventure movie. But the movie will go over budget with him at the helm.

I say Hollywood should stop with all these video game adapations.

If they really want to keep trying then start with HALO in secrecy with a couple of really good actors and an A list actor. Never reveal who is playing Masterchief until the movie hits by demanding all the critics, trades and bloggers to shut their mouths till after the opening weekend. But they have to knock this out of the park, which I think it can be done. A hardcore PG-13 sci-fi action HALO with some horror elements and good funny one-liner moments would be brilliant. The production values need to be very high and it should have an adrenaline feeling like the 3rd act of Rogue One. 

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2017 at 10:00 AM, robertman2 said:

How do they not make this a complete ripoff of Indiana Jones?

By being great. Also they are set in modern times, and Nathan Drake's character has very different character traits than Indiana Jones, (Imo he's a much more interesting and well rounded character). I hope they don't just half ass this again, Uncharted has a rare good story + good characters, and fantastic set pieces with amazing action, that if done right on film, could and should be a major breakthrough for videogame to film adaptations and could become a major blockbuster. 

• Like 1