WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread | Official estimate: The Martian 55M. Rth Sunday Est Pg43: 13.4M. Gravity will remain October OW record holder.

Tomorrowland and Prometheus share very similar problems in their writing, so it's very tempting to place all the blame on Lindelof. But I don't actually know who is responsible for what, so I ain't gonna judge.

Right. Except it's even more so: all you (and I) know is that you didn't like the movie that resulted from the script. So, basically assign blame to all creative principals (including director and possibly producers). That's especially true when you have a huge heavy-hitter like Scott in charge.

Yeah. Every aspect of a movie is influenced by a vast array of creatives. The cinematography is influenced by the story writer. The sound design is influenced by the director. The actor's performance is influenced by the editors. And vice versa, etc. etc.

Edited by 99 Trees

Ewwww, those are bad.

Yeah, I was really disappointed I didn't get Revenant. When I saw the TWC logo for Burnt I went "OH SHIT HATEFUL EIGHT". Then Bradley Cooper showed up :(

Edited by WrathOfHan

The Revenant's new trailer makes it look so fucking dull barring the cinematography. Innaritu's name is the cherry on top of the boring look of that film

Die.

• Like 3

The Revenant's new trailer makes it look so fucking dull barring the cinematography. Innaritu's name is the cherry on top of the boring look of that film

I gotta say, I found the new Revenant trailer to be extremely compelling and it is now one of my most anticipated. I was always going to see it since I loved Birdman, but now I a genuinely excited for it.

• Like 1

Ugh, I'm getting more and more upset I have to see The Martian in 3D. Seems like a massive waste of money. Fuck you AMC for not having reasonable 2D showtimes.

I'd argue that you would be missing out a bit seeing this in 2D. This is one of the films that 3D really elevates. It was shot in 3D, the shots and design were conceived with 3D in mind, and the material lends itself to the format. It is the best 3D I have seen since Gravity although The Walk will likely take that spot when I see it. But yeah, this looked brilliant in 3D imo.

I'd argue that you would be missing out a bit seeing this in 2D. This is one of the films that 3D really elevates. It was shot in 3D, the shots and design were conceived with 3D in mind, and the material lends itself to the format. It is the best 3D I have seen since Gravity although The Walk will likely take that spot when I see it. But yeah, this looked brilliant in 3D imo.

I didn't splurge on 3D like I originally intended but some scenes seemed like they'd be too dark for 3D.

The teaser for The Revenant looked excellent. The new one just looks warmed over Oscar bait garbage.

Bring on Joy and Hateful Eight instead (disclaimer: have not seen any footage of Hateful Eight).

I think you're allowing the revenge plot to cloud your judgement. 

Yeah, waiting impatiently for a Hateful Eight trailer. The bits and pieces I've seen so far look great.

I thought Joy looked intriguing, and its got a team I'm definitely willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

plus it was 2 years after the real Everest incident that this movie is based on.

They were filming it when the incident happened. I believe they recorded one of the final phone calls.

The new film didn't really bring anything to the table. We've already got a film, about Everest, that covers the '96 disaster, that was filmed in IMAX.

If they wanted to do an Everest film, they should have gone with the Hillary/Norgay expedition that actually conquered the mountain. That would have been new, and would have allowed them to do their amazing scenery shots.