WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates: Goosebumps - 23.5M; The Martian - 21.5M; Bridge of Spies - 15.4M; Crimson Peak - 12.9M (Page 1)

Decent turnout so far. Crimson Peak is way above where I thought it would be. Goosebumps should make it past 20 million for sure. Bridge of Spies could've been a little higher but legs should carry it.

Sadly, I think BOS will not have great legs. Next week Jobs opening wide will badly hurt it with the target more mature serious film audience.

It will struggle to break even,unusual for a Spielberg film. I think the stars were just wrong for this one.

He's pretty much the Jimmy Stewart of our times.

I remember people making that comparison before. Back in the 90s, Forrest Gump/Apollo 13 era? Did Spielberg compare him to Stewart? I just know I have heard that comparison in the past.

(Complete and utter tangent - If the story is true of Spielberg seeing Shia LeBoeuf in Holes and thinking he looked like a Tom Hanks in the making, and that being the reason he was cast in Transformers and/or Crystal Skull...just no.)

Edited by TServo2049

I remember people making that comparison before. Back in the 90s, Forrest Gump/Apollo 13 era? Did Spielberg compare him to Stewart? I just know I have heard that comparison in the past.

(Complete and utter tangent - If the story is true of Spielberg seeing Shia LeBoeuf in Holes and thinking he looked like a Tom Hanks in the making, and that being the reason he was cast in Transformers and/or Crystal Skull...just no.)

Shia is an incredible actor. I can see.the comparison

• Like 2

I've heard the Jimmy Stewart / Tom Hanks comparison all the time. It makes sense, since Hanks tends to play the everyman.

As for that Spielberg thing. I've never heard of that, and no way I do believe it's true.

Edited by FancyArcher

Joe versus the Volcano was the first movie I remember ever seeing as a kid. Still fond of it

My parents love that movie. That's one of those movies we saw, enjoyed, then found out most of the rest of the world hated it. (Except Roger Ebert.)

Though we're probably in more of a minority about genuinely enjoying, say, Drop Dead Fred than we are Joe Versus the Volcano...

As for that Spielberg thing. I've never heard of that, and no way I do believe it's true.

I don't see why not. I think it makes sense actually. young labeouf and young hanks both have that manic energy to them. I can totally see it.

• Like 2

I don't see why not. I think it makes sense actually. young labeouf and young hanks both have that manic energy to them. I can totally see it.

Yeah, but Hanks is like the nicest guy around, while LaBeouf is well, LaBeouf.

I don't see why not. I think it makes sense actually. young labeouf and young hanks both have that manic energy to them. I can totally see it.   Yeah, but Hanks is like the nicest guy around, while LaBeouf is well, LaBeouf.
Well, we know 2004 Shia wasn't 2015 Shia.
  • Like 2

Spielberg, Bay, D.J. Caruso and the media DID compare Shia to Hanks in 2007 though. And there seemed to be a narrative that Spielberg was grooming him.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB117460755257946182

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2007/08/labeouf200708

And 7 years later Shia said he didn't want to be that:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2014/10/shia-labeouf-tom-cruise-tom-hanks-careers

We're talking about Tom Hanks now, but just wanted to clear up that there was a time when Shia was being compared to Hanks.

I think people thought he had more talent and potential than he ended up having. Shyamalan was once the next Spielberg, remember...

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Obviously, people just love to shit on him for all the dumb things he's done but the guy was (is) pretty talented. That Spielberg story makes perfect sense for the time. Don't let your opinion of what he's become cloud what he was ten years ago.

• Like 1

Spielberg, Bay, D.J. Caruso and the media DID compare Shia to Hanks in 2007 though. And there seemed to be a narrative that Spielberg was grooming him.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB117460755257946182

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2007/08/labeouf200708

And 7 years later Shia said he didn't want to be that:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2014/10/shia-labeouf-tom-cruise-tom-hanks-careers

We're talking about Tom Hanks now, but just wanted to clear up that there was a time when Shia was being compared to Hanks.

Gotta have mad respect for a man like that.

Obviously, people just love to shit on him for all the dumb things he's done but the guy was (is) pretty talented.That Spielberg story makes perfect sense for the time. Don't let your opinion of what he's become cloud what he was ten years ago.

Yeah, that was my point. We have had several people who seemed like they had great potential, until they suddenly seemed less appealing, and the world decided they didn't like their style. Not a defense or a condemnation - I bring up Shyamalan again.

The Village and Lady in the Water caused people to turn on Shyamalan, much as Indy 4 and Transformers 2 caused people to turn on Shia.

Edited by TServo2049

Yeah, that was my point. We have had several people who seemed like they had great potential, until the world decided they didn't like their style. Not a defense or a condemnation - I bring up Shyamalan again.

The Village and Lady in the Water caused people to turn on Shyamalan, much as Indy 4 and Transformers 2 caused people to turn on Shia.

Shia is literally the best thing about both of those movies :lol: