WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates: Goosebumps - 23.5M; The Martian - 21.5M; Bridge of Spies - 15.4M; Crimson Peak - 12.9M (Page 1)

Fantastic Four, Blackhat, #mortdecai, Aloha, Terminator

Lot of contenders for worst of the year. Actively avoided Pixels so not sure if that one qualifies but I bet it does

Unfriended came to my town this weekend, really liked it. The gimmick (and it is a gimmick) actually works, I was pretty much hooked from the start. It's super cynical and grim too, so I'm not surprised it didn't do so great at the box office. 

Also it's not so much about jump scares or gore, but the way these characters destroy themselves and their relationships with each other as their terrible secrets get revealed. 

Edited by good movie liker

Lava is the worst Pixar or Disney short in quite some time. Horrible idea and execution, it found just how far anthropomorphization can go before it is rejected by audiences.

I agree. It lacked either humor or charm, and without either a cartoon short is going to  suck bigtime. LAVA did.

Disney had better damn well hope it has it South Pacfic/Polyneisan act together with "Moana".

Edited by dudalb

Kingsman has a lot less balls than it pretends to. Like that scene where

Colin Forth massacres a church

, it's staged to look like the coolest thing ever and I was like, holy shit, did the movie actually dare to go there and commit to it? And minutes later we learn that of course not, he was just made to do that by the villain. In the end it's a pretty standard action movie, just with some mocking Bond references, exploding heads and attempted deconstructions of the "action hero should be rewarded with a woman to be his fuckdoll after saving the world" trope. Which, yeah, makes it more memorable and distinctive than standard straight-faced action fare, but everyone around me acted like it was some kind of an amazing revelation. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

And yeah Unfriended is legitimately good. Not scary in the least, but it's misanthropic fun that exploits its gimmick in really smart and fascinating ways. You could argue it's the most unique movie of the year. 

I found it scary in parts. But as I said, it had me hooked. It's more thrilling than scary, if that makes sense. And yes, I was actually surprised how mean-spirited it gets.

I also think it actually warrants that last minute jump scare because it makes sense here (with the laptop gimmick and all)

• Like 1