Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

7 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

You're talking about technical aspects though.

If I hate a movie then I'll call it bad no matter how many people actually liked it. If I love a movie I'll call it good as well no matter how many people hate it.

Again, I understand why you think the way you do about it and it's fine, it's just not a sentiment I agree on, that's all.

I'm not talking about technical aspects though.

Edited by RandomJC

Just now, RandomJC said:

I'm not talking about technical aspects though. Taste isn't quality. And I find it frustrating when people equate the two because it leads to pointless arguments. Accepting you can like a bad movie is very powerful.

But if I like something it's because this something is good for me, right? I'm just talking about opinions here you know.

Let's just agree to disagree on that one I suppose.

Just now, Arlborn said:

But if I like something it's because this something is good for me, right? I'm just talking about opinions here you know.

Let's just agree to disagree on that one I suppose.

I am talking opinions, like/not like are opinions. I'm trying to say that good/bad aren't really opinions, at least as far as I see it.

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Someone got triggered big time here.

Hey, to be honest, any Suicide Squad lover out there probably deserves this moment of redemption, as the movie was so universally crapped on that something like this is truly something to be like "IN YOUR FACE!!!!" for a while. Me, I kinda laughed at SS winning, then was sad that the deserving Star Trek Beyond didn't take it, but ultimately ended happy for Ayer, the winning makeup team and the movie's fans.

That being said, if this is gonna be your trump card forever about SS, instead of actually defending why you think the movie is better than most of us think it is, then let me reign on your parade by saying that it's "just" a Makeup and Hairstyling award. Granted, "just" is an understatement as ANY Oscar for a superhero movie feels like jumping Mount Everest. That being said, take some time to remember that it's not that big deal of a category in the 1st place. Hell, winning in Visual Effects (which also isn't that much of a big deal) will probably get you higher publicity at this point, no matter how obvious of a nominee you'll be for it.

Now before you reign in w/a "UHH HATAHHH!!!! UHH MARVEL DICK SUCKAAAA" comment, I'll totally give SS props for doing the one thing Marvel hasn't done since Spider-Man 2, winning an Oscar that is :rofl: But please, don't make this a Marvel shitting parade. Enjoy the party! Surely you'd hate it if Doctor Strange won the Oscar and Suicide Squad went empty handed, and everyone that loved DS and hated SS went all ballcutter on the "opposing" side. I get it that you want vindication for all of the shade throwing, but don't get so petty like THAT about it.

Doctor Strange wasn't going to win. Because it's a Marvel film. And they don't win SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

And Spider-Man 2 is a Sony film. Marvel can't take credit. So, DC wins again. Per usual.

26 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Doctor Strange wasn't going to win. Because it's a Marvel film. And they don't win SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

And Spider-Man 2 is a Sony film. Marvel can't take credit. So, DC wins again. Per usual.

DC won tons of Razzies unlike Marvel. So they win at having good hair styling and shitty movies.

:redcapes:

(Not to mention, Strange went up against The Jungle Book, Kubo, and Star Wars for best visual effects to be fair.)

Edited by YourMother

1 hour ago, RandomJC said:

I am talking opinions, like/not like are opinions. I'm trying to say that good/bad aren't really opinions, at least as far as I see it.

I think you are making the really common mistake of mixing togethers opinions and taste (most people do when talking about movies).

Liking a movie, or chocolate ice cream more than vanilla ice cream are taste, not opinions. An opinions is a position that someone defend with arguments, you need for your statement to be possibly right or wrong to call it an opinion (otherwise it is simply a taste).

To give a common example:

- I like that humanity went to the moon, that is someone taste.

- It was a good use of ressource and a good thing overall that we went to the moon, that is an opinion.

So like you said, stating your taste: My favorite movie is, is simply stating a taste.

X movie was better than Y movie, is an opinion, one that people would expect an argumentation to support that position.

• Like 1

As for the Marvel lack of success at the Oscars, I think Ike Perlmutter was well known to be extremely cheap with the critics (giving them sandwich and really cheap screening without any party) but also extremely cheap come concerning Oscar campaign (and is views were a bit controversial, for example he was a major Trump donors).

It could change now that he is out and that Disney took complete and direct control of the Marvel studio (the movie part). It would not surprise me if they start campaigning better and winning some tech category.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I think you are making the really common mistake of mixing togethers opinions and taste (most people do when talking about movies).

Liking a movie, or chocolate ice cream more than vanilla ice cream are taste, not opinions. An opinions is a position that someone defend with arguments, you need for your statement to be possibly right or wrong to call it an opinion (otherwise it is simply a taste).

To give a common example:

- I like that humanity went to the moon, that is someone taste.

- It was a good use of ressource and a good thing overall that we went to the moon, that is an opinion.

So like you said, stating your taste: My favorite movie is, is simply stating a taste.

X movie was better than Y movie, is an opinion, one that people would expect an argumentation to support that position.

One of the major qualifiers of opinion is that it is neither right nor wrong. Liking Chocolate over Vanilla is an opinion. It is judgment about something, facts, logic, reason, don't need to be apart of opinions.

Just now, RandomJC said:

One of the major qualifiers of opinion is that it is neither right nor wrong. Liking Chocolate over Vanilla is an opinion. It is judgment about something, facts, logic, reason, don't need to be apart of opinions.

Opinions need to be possibly right or wrong (even if it is something that no humans can really answer right now, like George Bush is a bad president, it would be hard for anyone to really answer that but it could maybe be wrong)

When a mechanic give is opinion on the strange noise your car are making, he will be proven right or wrong by the inspection and repairs. At least that what come up when you search taste vs opinion vs fact or read the different definition.

https://philosophyfactory.wordpress.com/2015/02/21/fact-opinion-taste-and-belief-its-all-in-your-head-or-is-it/

• “Fact” is something that CAN be verified using an objective measure.  So, a factual statement is something like, it’s 400 miles from Oakdale, MN to Omaha, NE.  If we can define where the trip should start and stop, then we can measure the miles in between and arrive at a conclusion…. SO, if two people disagree about a factual claim, it’s the kind possible to show that one person is right and the other is wrong.
  • “Opinion” by way of contrast to a “fact” an opinion is something that two people could disagree about, and both can be right…. because an opinion is a statement supported by evidence.  The thing is, we can look at many different kinds of evidence and use a variety of methods to reason to differing conclusion.  So, it may be the case that it’s your opinion that Obama is a good president (and you’ll look at the evidence that supports your side and the other side will look at evidence that supports their side..).  Until you can agree on what constitutes “good”, then perhaps it can be a factual claim.

• “Taste” — is different than opinion — because it’s intensely personal.  I prefer cats to dogs, i prefer macs to PCs, and iphone to an android etc… your taste may be different.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

:rofl: Yup, someone is totally milking that train. No problem though, loving SS probably irked you a lot given the general reaction. Go ahead. Can't blame you for partying.

(*shh, let's not tell them that, oh btw, BVS also won a lot of Razzies... undeserved imo, I didn't think it was that bad, but it won them nonetheless... talk about "winning shit" right there)

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

No that's definitely a fact

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Opinions need to be possibly right or wrong (even if it is something that no humans can really answer right now, like George Bush is a bad president, it would be hard for anyone to really answer that but it could maybe be wrong)

When a mechanic give is opinion on the strange noise your car are making, he will be proven right or wrong by the inspection and repairs. At least that what come up when you search taste vs opinion vs fact or read the different definition.

https://philosophyfactory.wordpress.com/2015/02/21/fact-opinion-taste-and-belief-its-all-in-your-head-or-is-it/

• “Fact” is something that CAN be verified using an objective measure.  So, a factual statement is something like, it’s 400 miles from Oakdale, MN to Omaha, NE.  If we can define where the trip should start and stop, then we can measure the miles in between and arrive at a conclusion…. SO, if two people disagree about a factual claim, it’s the kind possible to show that one person is right and the other is wrong.
  • “Opinion” by way of contrast to a “fact” an opinion is something that two people could disagree about, and both can be right…. because an opinion is a statement supported by evidence.  The thing is, we can look at many different kinds of evidence and use a variety of methods to reason to differing conclusion.  So, it may be the case that it’s your opinion that Obama is a good president (and you’ll look at the evidence that supports your side and the other side will look at evidence that supports their side..).  Until you can agree on what constitutes “good”, then perhaps it can be a factual claim.

• “Taste” — is different than opinion — because it’s intensely personal.  I prefer cats to dogs, i prefer macs to PCs, and iphone to an android etc… your taste may be different.

I see no difference between opinion and taste. Preferences are personal opinions.

The definition of opinion:

o·pin·ion
əˈpinyən/
noun
  1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

the author is confusing opinion and informed opinion. They are two distinctly different things. An informed opinion is based on evidence, and knowledge. and opinion is based on whatever the hell you like.

8 minutes ago, DAR said:

No that's definitely a fact

I'm out of likes for you.

Spoiler

Chocolate icecream tastes like shit.