Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I meant through the FCC. Comcast bought Universal for $30B but this is a $60B deal and allows more control for the marketplace.

It reduces the number of major studios from 6 to 5, but it isn't the same as Comcast's purchase of Universal or AT&T's attempted purchase of Warner Bros. I think Comcast buying Fox would have faced much tougher scrutiny from regulators. In the end, it is just one movie studio buying another and it isn't the top 2 studios merging. Plus, the items that would have gotten regulators to stop the deal aren't included in the purchase (Fox broadcasting network, Fox News, Fox sports network).

1 hour ago, Nova said:

I can't be the only one who isn't a fan of Disney buying out Fox. 

The great thing about having all these different studios is that they all have a different vision for what they want to do with their material. 

Like you can't tell me that Disney would have ever put out Logan or Deadpool. I'm just using these two movies as an example but think of the effects that will occur across the board. 

Of course I'd love to see the different universes come together but not like this. 

There is a reason why you used those two movies as an example.   Because 2 years ago Fox had only made PG-13 movies like everyone else.   That includes TWO Wolverine movies.

It took a decade for Ryan Reynolds to talk them into it and even then he had to resort to leaking the Deadpool footage online to get the fans behind it to give Fox a push.

Then by an amazing coincidence they were suddenly interested in making an R rated Logan.    Let's just forget about those two PG-13 Wolverine movies.

A lot of people are trying to rewrite history and make Fox into this "brave" studio that was passionate about spitting out R rated X-men movies left and right.   That's not what really happened.

What they really are is the studio that utterly wasted great characters like Dr Doom, Storm, Silver Surfer, Cyclops, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, and Colossus and epic failed on great stories like Dark Phoenix and Apocalypse.    They are also the studio that has gotten the least amount of interest from public of the major 4 studios making CBMs....even though they had the rights to the freaking X-men.    Marvel did better with lower profile characters like Capt America, Iron Man, Thor, Dr Strange, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

49 minutes ago, Sand-omJC said:

Of course Disney wouldn't. That's why they'd release it under Fox, or Fox Searchlight. Or something. Disney's released R-rated movies in the past, just under different brands, as to not be "Disney"

They wouldn't stop Deadpool 2 or make it a PG-13 just because of "brand" they'd just release it under Fox.

Seems pretty simple to understand.    Disney likes money like everyone else.   You think they wouldn't notice this?

Deadpool ww groos-  $783,112,979  

Deadpool budget- 58 million  

49 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

So when Disney buys out FOX that means we'll probably get 4+ Marvel movies a year as they would take over all the release dates that FOX would have initially had for their movies when they were a standalone movie studio. Remember 2016 had both Apocalpyse and Deadpool both are FOX movie releases together with Civil War and Doc Strange of Disney / Marvel. Now with Disney buying out FOX we could potentially see those 2 FOX CBM's be an addition to the typical 2 MCU movies per year except now those 2 FOX CBM's will be absorbed into the MCU as MCU movies. So in the future the landscape of CBM's released will be 4 MCU movies, 1 Sony spider-verse movie, 2 DCU movies for a grand total of 7 CBM's per year at the very least.

Or LESS CBMs a year because Marvel isn't contractually obligated to release movies to keep their own characters like Fox and Sony are.   Marvel can make another Cap movie...or not.   Cap isn't going anywhere if they don't.

Marvel having the rights to their own characters means they can act like WB and release movies only when they feel it fits their goals.   Narrative reasons over contract reasons.

Sounds like a MASSIVE improvement to me.   Might actually make the CBMs they do release more profitable due to a less saturated marketplace.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

It reduces the number of major studios from 6 to 5, but it isn't the same as Comcast's purchase of Universal or AT&T's attempted purchase of Warner Bros. I think Comcast buying Fox would have faced much tougher scrutiny from regulators. In the end, it is just one movie studio buying another and it isn't the top 2 studios merging.

So much wrong here.

AT&T buying WB or Comcast buying NBC Universal are vertical mergers, two completely different industries coming together.

Disney buying Fox, etc. is a horizontal merger, which triggers much more intense regulatory scrutiny.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, cookie said:

Lucasfilm was half cash and half shares. Lucas currently owns about 2% of Disney shares, second largest after the Steve Jobs estate.

It's a sure fire bet that the Fox Disney deal will involve shares also. It's standard in any business deal this big. You did'tn just think the Mouse will deposit 60 Billion in Rupert's bank account, did you?

4 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

There is a reason why you used those two movies as an example.   Because 2 years ago Fox had only made PG-13 movies like everyone else.   That includes TWO Wolverine movies.

It took a decade for Ryan Reynolds to talk them into it and even then he had to resort to leaking the Deadpool footage online to get the fans behind it to give Fox a push.

Then by an amazing coincidence they were suddenly interested in making an R rated Logan.    Let's just forget about those two PG-13 Wolverine movies.

A lot of people are trying to rewrite history and make Fox into this "brave" studio that was passionate about spitting out R rated X-men movies left and right.   That's not what really happened.

What they really are is the studio that utterly wasted great characters like Dr Doom, Storm, Silver Surfer, Cyclops, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, and Colossus and epic failed on great stories like Dark Phoenix and Apocalypse.    They are also the studio that has gotten the least amount of interest from public of the major 4 studios making CBMs....even though they had the rights to the freaking X-men.    Marvel did better with lower profile characters like Capt America, Iron Man, Thor, Dr Strange, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Seems pretty simple to understand.    Disney likes money like everyone else.   You think they wouldn't notice this?

Or LESS CBMs a year because Marvel isn't contractually obligated to release movies to keep their own characters like Fox and Sony are.   Marvel can make another Cap movie...or not.   Cap isn't going anywhere if they don't.

Marvel having the rights to their own characters means they can act like WB and release movies only when they feel it fits their goals.   Narrative reasons over contract reasons.

Sounds like a MASSIVE improvement to me.   Might actually make the CBMs they do release more profitable due to a less saturated marketplace.

Would Disney keep making R rated movies or smaller films in general is the question? I like CBMs but having studio diversity is better than X-Men joining the MCU. I doubt Searchlight or Kingsman or Predator happening unless Disney decides to make Fox the new Touchstone.

2 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Fox is much bigger than x-men. They were releasing r-rated non x-men movies. 5 this year alone, not to mention their challenging pg-13 movies like ape trilogy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

So much wrong here.

AT&T buying WB or Comcast buying NBC Universal are vertical mergers, two completely different industries coming together.

Disney buying Fox, etc. is a horizontal merger, which triggers much more intense regulatory scrutiny.

Forgetting about horizontal mergers in general, and instead focusing on the movie industry specifically, the only time I can remember a merger of studios being held up was when Fox tried to purchase MGM in the late 1920's-early 1930's. And the only reason it was held up is because Louie B. Mayer used his connections in government to raise anti-trust issues, which delayed it long enough for William Fox to be hurt by the Great Depression so he could no longer afford to buy MGM. There is no other precedent for the government to prevent mergers within the film industry of this type.

The merger of content distributors like Comcast and AT&T and content producers has raised issues that just do not exist here. 

Edited by Walt Disney

33 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I don’t like a monopoly but I doubt the deal happens.

It could still fall through, of course, but I think the chances of it's happening are much greater then it not happening. It's not just the comic book geek sites saying a deal is close, but the major news outlets which cover the business world.

And the deal has been designed to pass any anti trust scrunity that mi

15 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

So much wrong here.

Almost all the reporting on this deal are saying it will not trigger any anti trust action. That is a main reason for maintaining Fox as a separate studio under the Disney umbrella.

But that does not mean the Disney will have no say in what goes on at Fox. Guaranteed, even if the X Men remain a Fox production, Kevin Feige will be involved.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Would Disney keep making R rated movies or smaller films in general is the question? I like CBMs but having studio diversity is better than X-Men joining the MCU. I doubt Searchlight or Kingsman or Predator happening unless Disney decides to make Fox the new Touchstone.

Disney would make R rated movies the same way they always have.   Again...Fox didn't make them either until Ryan Reynolds wore them down over the course of a decade.   Marvel could make the same kind of X-men movies Fox made....which are all PG-13.

Just check out those numbers for Deadpool.   You think Disney won't act on something like that?    That's a huge pile of money.

13 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Fox is much bigger than x-men. They were releasing r-rated non x-men movies. 5 this year alone, not to mention their challenging pg-13 movies like ape trilogy.

Disney has released R rated movies too.   I frankly only care about the Marvel and Star Wars stuff to be honest.    The rating matters so little to me I doubt I could tell you which of my favorite movies are rated R with any confidence.    I either like the movie or not.    An R rating doesn't give one film any advantage over another one.

Interesting how it's "challenging PG-13" when Fox does it.   :D

This really smells something like this:

"What is something Marvel hasn't done?    An R rated movie?   Let's act like that is super duper important now!"

• Like 1

And the fact is the Marvel angle is probably a minor factor in this deal. Getting the massive Fox Film Library for it upcoming streaming service ,for instance, is much more important to Disney.

In the end, it's all about the Benjys,and Disney is smart enough to let Ryan Reynolds do his R rated thing given how lucrative..and inexpensive..it would be.

My main concern is  what happens with Fox Searchlight. It is willing to back some risky indie films,and small indie films to not seem to be high on the Mouse's agenda.  it's one thing to greenlight a low budget R rated Horror film, or something like Deadpool; to bankroll something like "Lady Bird" is another matter.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Disney has released R rated movies too.   I frankly only care about the Marvel and Star Wars stuff to be honest.    The rating matters so little to me I doubt I could tell you which of my favorite movies are rated R with any confidence.    I either like the movie or not.    An R rating doesn't give one film any advantage over another one.

Interesting how it's "challenging PG-13" when Fox does it.   :D

This really smells something like this:

"What is something Marvel hasn't done?    An R rated movie?   Let's act like that is super duper important now!"

It’s not about X-Men or the rating. Disney hasn’t made anything outside of blockbusters for the past 8 years. Or anything that doesn’t appeal to the adult crowd since Touchstone which was used for Dreamworks deal was forgotten in favor of IPs.

Edited by YourMother

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And the fact is the Marvel angle is probably a minor factor in this deal. Getting the massive Fox Film Library for it upcoming streaming service ,for instance, is much more important to Disney.

In the end, it's all about the Benjys,and Disney is smart enough to let Ryan Reynolds do his R rated thing given how lucrative..and inexpensive..it would be.

My main concern is  what happens with Fox Searchlight. It is willing to back some risky indie films,and small indie films to not seem to be high on the Mouse's agenda.  it's one thing to greenlight a low budget R rated Horror film, or something like Deadpool; to bankroll something like "Lady Bird" is another matter.

The film library is really the main reason behind the deal. The film rights to the Marvel characters are something that is important to fans of the MCU, so we tend to focus on it (as I am sure Kevin Feige does as well).

I wonder if Disney would use Fox Searchlight as its way to re-enter the low budget movie market after they shut down Miramax. With the streaming service, added content is certainly helpful. Additionally, when Disney shut down Miramax, Alan Horn wasn't in charge of Walt Disney Studios, and he may prefer to have some low budget R rated films. 

Edited by Walt Disney

1 hour ago, Walt Disney said:

They are making movies with a lot more obscure characters than Deadpool. It would have been made. Maybe not R-rated, so if the curse words were what you really liked about the movie, yeah you woulda lost out. But a Deadpool movie would have been made.

A Deadpool movie would have been made is a really different sentence than Deadpool would have been made (that infer a movie quite similar to the one we got, that what the person meant by we would not have got it under the current MCU model)

I get imamges of Kevin Feige evilly chuckling saying "MINE! ALL MINE!".

Guaranteed, even if the X Men remain with a independent Fox Studio, Feige would be involved, Probaly a "deal" would be worked out like with Sony. FF I suspect might go to the MCU outright.

39 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Disney has released R rated movies too.   I frankly only care about the Marvel and Star Wars stuff to be honest.    The rating matters so little to me I doubt I could tell you which of my favorite movies are rated R with any confidence.    I either like the movie or not.   

Speaking of Marvel & Lucas... what were people's feelings here at the time that Disney was about to purchase Marvel or the time that Disney was about to purchase Lucas?

Was it a lot of doom and gloom back then?

I for one am happy, especially with the Lucas acquisition because Disney has brought Star Wars again in the forefront after long years of inactivity.

_

Edited by Jordanstine
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Jordanstine said:

Speaking of Marvel & Lucas... what were people's feelings here at the time that Disney was about to purchase Marvel or the time that Disney was about to purchase Lucas?

I for one am happy, especially with the Lucas acquisition because Disney has brought Star Wars again in the forefront after long years of inactivity.

_

This is a much bigger deal.

I think the main concern is that Fox...Fox Searchlite in particular..has been willing to take risks and back some pretty non commercial projects.

Disney seems interested in nothing but blockbusters, and playing it safe, and people are concerned the fate of Fox's policy of backing some risky projects under The Mouse.

Of course if big budget blockbusters are the only thing you are interested in this would not matter. But some of us like a more varied cinematic diet.

Edited by dudalb

42 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

The film library is really the main reason behind the deal. The film rights to the Marvel characters are something that is important to fans of the MCU, so we tend to focus on it (as I am sure Kevin Feige does as well).

I wonder if Disney would use Fox Searchlight as its way to re-enter the low budget movie market after they shut down Miramax. With the streaming service, added content is certainly helpful. Additionally, when Disney shut down Miramax, Alan Horn wasn't in charge of Walt Disney Studios, and he may prefer to have some low budget R rated films. 

Low budget dramas and comedies do well on streaming (these are the ones that most people skip at theaters and watch at home), not to mention prestige sells these (look at Netflix success at the Emmys/TV and compare them to the Oscars/films) so they'd be foolish if they shutdown FS

20 minutes ago, Jordanstine said:

_

People were mostly delighted for the most part. Then again, Disney wasn't yet the completely dominant force trying to buy the whole galaxy that they are now.