Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Don't know where else to put this so I'll put it here.

Have any of you read the Star Wars Aftermath books that take place right after Return of the Jedi? What did you think of them? I read the first one right before THE FORCE AWAKENS came out and I'm just starting the 2nd one now. Not bad so far.

Edited by JB33

1 minute ago, RandomJC said:

Deadpool made  as much as Kung Fu Panda 3, The Angry Birds Movie, La La Land, Don’t Breathe, and Central Intelligence combined.

Kung Fu Panda 3, The Angry Birds Movie, La La Land, Don’t Breathe, and Central Intelligence are not part of a shared Marvel universe that made billions over the years.

So why would you compare Deadpool to those?

I would not equate deadline estimated Deadpool made more profit than DS and CW together, with Deadpool made more profit than DS and CW together.

They are really rought estimate, made with a lot of variable unkown to them (like the movie real budget) and they can be off the mark by a lot.

For an example Deadline profit estimate of 22 jump street:

http://deadline.com/2015/03/22-jump-street-profit-box-office-2014-1201391202/

144.48 million

Reality:

Sony profit: 45.54 million, that is almost 100 million off

To be fair third party investor made a 43 million profit on it, so 82 million of profit was made and I guess they could not have known how much of the movie was owned by Sony vs MGM vs Lone star but they still overestimated the overall profit by 76%

One of Deadpool biggest cost will be the profit participation bonus Reynolds, Kingberg and co are getting and those tend to stay really secret, Deadline can easily be off by 40 million

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

Kung Fu Panda 3, The Angry Birds Movie, La La Land, Don’t Breathe, and Central Intelligence are not part of a shared Marvel universe that made billions over the years.

So why would you compare Deadpool to those?

Felt like it. Not like Deadpool is apart of a shared Marvel Universe that made billions over the years, either.:D

How about this. Deadpool made 4.7x more than La La Land.

4 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Huh, even though 2016 was the year of the mouse there are actually "only" 7 Disney movies in the top 20 profitable movies of 2016 and the first Disney movie only appears as third, how interesting.

What I see from this list is the confirmation that Universal and WB indeed also had a pretty good year:

Rank | Movie | (Studio) | Net Profit

1. The Secret Life Of Pets (Uni) – $374.65M
2. Deadpool (Fox) – $322.24M
3. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Dis) – $319.60M
4. Finding Dory (Dis) – $296.60M
5. Zootopia (Dis) – $294.90M
6. The Jungle Book (Dis) – $258.15M
7. Sing (Uni) – $194.25M
8. Captain America: Civil War (Dis) – $193.40M
9. Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them (WB) – $164.70M
10. Suicide Squad (WB) – $158.45M
11. Doctor Strange (Dis) – $122.65M
12. Moana (Dis) – $121.30M
13. Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice (WB) – $105.70M
14. The Conjuring 2 (WB) – $98.30M
15. Hidden Figures (Fox) – $95.55M
16. Kung Fu Panda 3 (Fox) – $76.65M
17. The Angry Birds Movie (Sony) – $72.00M
18. La La Land (Lionsgate) – $68.25M
19. Don’t Breathe (Sony) – $59.10M
20. Central Intelligence (WB) – $52.00M

HONORABLE MENTION: Bad Moms (STX) – $50.80M; Sausage Party (Sony) – $47.05M; The Purge: Election Year (Uni) – $44.60M

http://deadline.com/2017/04/most-profitable-movies-2016-secret-life-of-pets-deadpool-disney-1202060846/

Having 5 of the top 8 most profitable movies is pretty epic though.

1 minute ago, RandomJC said:

How about this. Deadpool made 4.7x more than La La Land.

57% of La la land box office was made in pre-sold market (non domestic/UK), lot of the money didn't went to Liongates on that one (I imagine sometime they love that reality like when Power rangers flop overseas and do well domestic, but for something like La la land it must hurt a little bit).

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

57% of La la land box office was made in pre-sold market (non domestic/UK), lot of the money didn't went to Liongates on that one (I imagine sometime they love that reality like when Power rangers flop overseas and do well domestic, but for something like La la land it must hurt a little bit).

I have no idea what you're talking about, or how it's even relevant.

The statement was that deadpool made 4.7x more than La La Land made, I don't think it is what Deadline is saying.

Fox made on Deadpool 4.7 time what Liongates did on La la land but Deadpool didn't necessarily do 4.7 time as much as La la land.

That is because Liongates do not distribute worldwide and most of La La Land business was made outside Liongates markets, the other market were sold to other distributors that made a good portion of La La Land profit.

10 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

This is the "Franchise Wars" thread, not the "Compare movies to La La Land" thread.

Back on topic:

Deadpool > MCU.

Can I see you ID, please ?

11 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

This is the "Franchise Wars" thread, not the "Compare movies to La La Land" thread.

Back on topic:

Deadpool > MCU.

In terms of profit yet, due to Deadpool having a cheap budget. However 3 MCU movies (CW, TWS, TA) and Logan imo are better.

11 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Back on topic:

Deadpool > MCU.

La La Land is a franchise.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The statement was that deadpool made 4.7x more than La La Land made, I don't think it is what Deadline is saying.

Fox made on Deadpool 4.7 time what Liongates did on La la land but Deadpool didn't necessarily do 4.7 time as much as La la land.

That is because Liongates do not distribute worldwide and most of La La Land business was made outside Liongates markets, the other market were sold to other distributors that made a good portion of La La Land profit.

So the joke, to be more accurate, should be, "Fox made 4.7x more on Deadpool than Lionsgate made on La La Land"?

It still isn't relevant.

Just think that Deadpool made more than BvS and Civil War combined, more profit that a movie with these characters: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man

I think congratulations are in order. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

So the joke, to be more accurate, should be, "Fox made 4.7x more on Deadpool than Lionsgate made on La La Land"?

It still isn't relevant.

The joke ? The joke went completely went over my head sorry, I thought it was a simple statement to show how much Deadpool was profitable by comparing it to an other low cost giant blockbuster, not humor.

Edited by Barnack

Do the Deadline numbers take into account the fact that most of these movies/characters are brands that will make money for decades from various revenue streams ?

The Disney business model, take a look at it, it s fantastic.

And evil.

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Do the Deadline numbers take into account the fact that most of these movies/characters are brands that will make money for decades from various revenue streams ?

In the past they were trying, now they stopped to include merchandising sales that could be attributed to the movie, so a lot of revenues from some of those franchise is missing, giving a chance to non-franchise movie to get to the top. It was maybe too hard to evaluate.

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The joke ? The joke went completely went over my head sorry, I thought it was a simple statement to show how much Deadpool was profitable by comparing it to an other low cost giant blockbuster, not humor.

I was poking fun at arbitrary comparisons. or not arbitrary comparisons trying to mask as something deep and meaningful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

In the past they were trying, now they stopped to include merchandising sales that could be attributed to the movie, so a lot of revenues from some of those franchise is missing, giving a chance to non-franchise movie to get to the top. It was maybe too hard to evaluate.

Disney has theme parks also.

They are the most connected studio, toys wise.

You go to any toy shop in the world, you have the Disney princesses, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, it s fucking scary to see how big they have become in that field.

• Like 1