Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

4 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I'm curious when will we see another Justice League film. Flashpoint even if becomes a team up film doesn't count. 

2022?

Until they can go 2 in a row with their solo films, I think they need to stop thinking about team ups.

4 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

That's exactly why it's not gonna happen. They know better than to not do another Justice League movie in the next 10-15 years.

I can see them doing another team based film, something like Justice League Dark which doesn't really need solo films or perhaps something like Doom Patrol. I'm not sure they'll wait 10-15 years, I imagine 5-7 years would be more than sufficient. 

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I can see them doing another team based film, something like Justice League Dark which doesn't really need solo films or perhaps something like Doom Patrol. I'm not sure they'll wait 10-15 years, I imagine 5-7 years would be more than sufficient. 

For something of that kind, I think it might be one of the 1st things they might try after Flashpoint (which is probably coming in 2020/2021).

For another actual Justice League movie? No chance of getting one until nearly 2030 tops. The 2017 version (and the "Snyderverse" as a whole, per say) is gonna be stained in WB and the GA's collective memories for a while.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

10 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

For another actual Justice League movie? No chance of getting one until nearly 2030 tops. The 2017 version (and the "Snyderverse" as a whole, per say) is gonna be stained in WB and the GA's collective memories for a while.

Many films have come had successful follow ups of not so good or terrible films, Batman Begins was only 8 years after Batman and Robin for example and  TIH and Spider-Man Homecoming came only 3-5 years later. Hulk and TASM2. I don't think we're getting a JL film anytime soon but it won't be as long as 2030. 

20 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

What makes you think any of their films will do well going foward, solo or team-ups?

I mean, if they get the right talent and start correcting the ship quality-wise, people will start showing up again.

Look at Wonder Woman, for instance. It was tracking in the 80's range (which, to be completely honest, I never bought... I always predicted 100+ OW, even as early as post Comic Con-teaser reveal), and it would've done around low 80's opening and low to mid 200's DOM if it wasn't good. Reason why is because, plain and simple, the DCEU hype was really, really low after the trifecta of shitfests that was Man Of Steel-BVS-Suicide Squad. It's the reason why Justice League came close to tanking, after all. But, unlike JL, because it actually was a good movie, that amped up both its opening and its legs tenfold. And now, Wonder Woman 2 is gonna be a huge hit for damn sure, even if it sucks.

But WW2 is a guarantee to be a smash regardless, so I'm guessing you're wondering about other non-WW stuff. Well, Aquaman has James Wan directing it, and if Wan can make it a good movie, then DCEU is gonna have some form of trust again. Then Shazam! comes out, and if Sandberg can follow his master's footsteps (like he has in horror), then more people are gonna trust the DCEU. Then Wonder Woman 2. And then Flashpoint for good measure to make sure everything that has sucked before is forgotten about, alas Days Of Future Past pretty much erasing Origins: Wolverine and The Last Stand from history. And considering Flashpoint is being written by one of the guys behind both Game Night and Spider-Man: Homecoming, it's looking promising for it as well.

It's not impossible for them to get the audience back on the run. They just need to make damn sure that they have the right talent, this time around. Snyder isn't untalented by any means, but the combination of projects that don't really fit his style + writers that are completely out of touch w/the right tone for the characters that they were writing = bed being shat on. And David Ayer.... well, Suicide Squad wasn't entirely his fault (cause the reshoots and shoddy editing sure as shit didn't help), and I believe that if we actually got his original idea + the real director's cut, it would be at least a little better (the 1st teaser indicated that it was gonna be more of a character-based psychological action thriller), but yeah, he wasn't a good fit for the project at all.

@Jonwo Yeah, but WB is smart enough to know that the stain of the 1st Justice League movie is going to live on for a really long time, and given how it's the only JL movie out there (unlike Batman & Robin, which was just a piss poor sequel to the 1989 classic), people will remember it and immediately raise their eyebrows when the name "Justice League" is thrown. Who knows, maybe we get it sooner than I think, but my interpretation of anytime soon is "not until we get a lot of certifiably successful - both commercially and critically - DCEU films".

Edited by MCKillswitch123

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I mean, if they get the right talent and start correcting the ship quality-wise, people will start showing up again.

Look at Wonder Woman, for instance. It was tracking in the 80's range (which, to be completely honest, I never bought... I always predicted 100+ OW, even as early as post Comic Con-teaser reveal), and it would've done around low 80's opening and low to mid 200's DOM if it wasn't good. Reason why is because, plain and simple, the DCEU hype was really, really low after the trifecta of shitfests that was Man Of Steel-BVS-Suicide Squad. It's the reason why Justice League came close to tanking, after all. But, unlike JL, because it actually was a good movie, that amped up both its opening and its legs tenfold. And now, Wonder Woman 2 is gonna be a huge hit for damn sure, even if it sucks.

But WW2 is a guarantee to be a smash regardless, so I'm guessing you're wondering about other non-WW stuff. Well, Aquaman has James Wan directing it, and if Wan can make it a good movie, then DCEU is gonna have some form of trust again. Then Shazam! comes out, and if Sandberg can follow his master's footsteps (like he has in horror), then more people are gonna trust the DCEU. Then Wonder Woman 2. And then Flashpoint for good measure to make sure everything that has sucked before is forgotten about, alas Days Of Future Past pretty much erasing Origins: Wolverine and The Last Stand from history. And considering Flashpoint is being written by one of the guys behind both Game Night and Spider-Man: Homecoming, it's looking promising for it as well.

It's not impossible for them to get the audience back on the run. They just need to make damn sure that they have the right talent, this time around. Snyder isn't untalented by any means, but the combination of projects that don't really fit his style + writers that are completely out of touch w/the right tone for the characters that they were writing = bed being shat on. And David Ayer.... well, Suicide Squad wasn't entirely his fault (cause the reshoots and shoddy editing sure as shit didn't help), and I believe that if we actually got his original idea + the real director's cut, it would be at least a little better (the 1st teaser indicated that it was gonna be more of a character-based psychological action thriller), but yeah, he wasn't a good fit for the project at all.

There's too much hypotheticals in here for DC's success. BTW I think the reason behind WW success has more to do with how socially relevant the movie is with female empowerment in female led and directed CBM rather than her brief appearance in BvS and the quality of the movie leading up to its release. 

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

X-Men is the good example of how a franchise can course correct and I suspect the course correction for WB/DC started a long time ago. The fact they've started filming another DC film in Shazam, on post production with Aquaman and are ready to do start production on WW2 and SS2 and not cancelled anything suggests they've long moved on from JL which was the last film of the previous regime. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

There's too much hypotheticals in here for DC's success. BTW I think the reason behind WW success has more to do with how socially relevant the movie is with female empowerment in female led and directed CBM rather than her brief appearance in BvS and the quality of the movie leading up to its release. 

There are a lot of hypotheticals, but hypotheticals are always going to be a thing when you're in the situation they are. It's not like franchises/brands like Marvel, Pixar or Harry Potter, in which one critical tankjob would never be enough to slow down your momentum that much due to the incredible long term trust that you've built over the course of many years.

DC is much more like Transformers right now: they have shit the bed so many times that people just don't trust them anymore. HOWEVER, if they start releasing good movies on a regular basis, eventually, they will absolutely get big numbers and big hype again. That applies for Transformers, and that definitely applies for DC.

Also, of course that's one of, if not the main reason why Wonder Woman was a massive hit. But, imo, Wonder Woman's hype was helped by the universal acclaim her appearance in BVS recieved, followed up by the great marketing; and then amped up immensely by the fact that it wasn't just the 1st major female led and directed superhero movie: it was the 1st good female led superhero movie as well. Trust me: bad or mediocre wom, and WW would have legs closer to the average for superhero flicks. Off chance it could have gotten a 3x or something like that, but not much more.

3 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Until they can go 2 in a row with their solo films, I think they need to stop thinking about team ups.

This. DC needs to build a foundtation of good solo hero films, then you can go for a team up. DC tried to take a short cuts,and it backedfired on them.

DC really cannot afford to take many chances now;Marvel can take chances because they have built up audience trust,something DC has failed to do.

And "Justice League Dark" is not happening any time soon; too risky at this point.

Edited by dudalb

Just now, dudalb said:

This. DC needs to build a foundtation of good solo hero films, then you can go for a team up. DC tried to take a short cuts,and it backedfired on them.

I think Aquaman and Shazam will surprise, the latter has oodles of potential and it's set in the DC universe but not tied to previous films. SS2 is a odd duck but I think with Gavin O'Connor at the helm, they have a chance of improved reception, sort of like what The Wolverine was to Origins

8 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

There are a lot of hypotheticals, but hypotheticals are always going to be a thing when you're in the situation they are. It's not like franchises/brands like Marvel, Pixar or Harry Potter, in which one critical tankjob would never be enough to slow down your momentum that much due to the incredible long term trust that you've built over the course of many years.

DC is much more like Transformers right now: they have shit the bed so many times that people just don't trust them anymore. HOWEVER, if they start releasing good movies on a regular basis, eventually, they will absolutely get big numbers and big hype again. That applies for Transformers, and that definitely applies for DC.

Also, of course that's one of, if not the main reason why Wonder Woman was a massive hit. But, imo, Wonder Woman's hype was helped by the universal acclaim her appearance in BVS recieved, followed up by the great marketing; and then amped up immensely by the fact that it wasn't just the 1st major female led and directed superhero movie: it was the 1st good female led superhero movie as well. Trust me: bad or mediocre wom, and WW would have legs closer to the average for superhero flicks. Off chance it could have gotten a 3x or something like that, but not much more.

I know it's comics but Rebirth has been an enormous success for DC Comics and that was a soft reboot and I wouldn't be surprised if they're going to go for that with the films going forward. 

• Like 1

Just now, CaptainJackSparrow said:

What should gross more, Incredibles 2 or Deadpool 2? My money is on Deadpool. 

I'd say Incredibles 2 because animated films have higher multipliers. I think it's likely Deadpool 2 will decrease from the original while Incredibles 2 is looking at over $400 million domestic.

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I think Aquaman and Shazam will surprise, the latter has oodles of potential and it's set in the DC universe but not tied to previous films. SS2 is a odd duck but I think with Gavin O'Connor at the helm, they have a chance of improved reception, sort of like what The Wolverine was to Origins

I know it's comics but Rebirth has been an enormous success for DC Comics and that was a soft reboot and I wouldn't be surprised if they're going to go for that with the films going forward. 

Thing is DC needs to play it safe for the next few years.

I would concentrate on the most popular DC charecters and put the more obscure ones on the shelf.

I would move up Green Lantern Corps on the schedule. Green Lantern is one of their most popular franchiese, and enough time has passed for people to have forgotten the 2011 fiasco.

• Like 1

Just now, KP1025 said:

I'd say Incredibles 2 because animated films have higher multipliers. I think it's likely Deadpool 2 will decrease from the original while Incredibles 2 is looking at over $400 million domestic.

Incredibles 2 will have to jump a lot higher than Finding Dory to Finding Nemo (even more than Nemo’s original gross) did in order for it to reach 400 mil, but I think the original Incredibles never reached its potential thanks to a ton of competition. Plus, Incredibles 2 has a great release date. 

So perhaps you’re right. Deadpool 2 does have Avengers and Han as competition, come to think of it. I just really liked Deadpool 2’s trailer haha. I hope it does great.

23 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Thing is DC needs to play it safe for the next few years.

I would concentrate on the most popular DC charecters and put the more obscure ones on the shelf.

I would move up Green Lantern Corps on the schedule. Green Lantern is one of their most popular franchiese, and enough time has passed for people to have forgotten the 2011 fiasco.

Green Lantern must be high on the list for WB/DC, I don't see it happening until 2021 at the earliest. 

• Like 1

This should be the next DC films:

Aquaman

Shazam

Wonder Woman 2

The Batman

Flash solo (Not flashpoint)

Man of Steel 2

Green Lantern

Static Shock (Black Panther should pave the way for black led CBM)

Teen Titans (The old cartoon was massively popular and this can be the proper way to integrate Cyborg instead of a solo movie)

Everything else should take a back seat to those movies above:

SS 2

Nightwing

Batgirl

GCS

Birds of Prey

Harley Quinn solo

Harley Vs Joker

Joker origin

JL Dark

Black Adam 

Deathstroke

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

This should be the next DC films:

Aquaman

Shazam

Wonder Woman 2

The Batman

Flash solo (Not flashpoint)

Man of Steel 2

Green Lantern

Static Shock (Black Panther should pave the way for black led CBM)

Teen Titans (The old cartoon was massively popular and this can be the proper way to integrate Cyborg instead of a solo movie)

Everything else should take a back seat to those movies above:

SS 2

Nightwing

Batgirl

GCS

Birds of Prey

Harley Quinn solo

Harley Vs Joker

Joker origin

JL Dark

Black Adam 

Deathstroke

I think some of movies on your second list are DOA.

But something will be done with Harley. Even people who did not like SS overall loved Robbie as Harley.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think some of movies on your second list are DOA.

But something will be done with Harley. Even people who did not like SS overall loved Robbie as Harley.

Out of the 2nd list there should only be 3 movies:

SS 2 - Should come after all the hero movies in 1st list so they can use the team of villains for the Squad from those movies (Cheetah(WW), Metallo (MoS2), Black Manta (Aquaman), Reverse Flash (Flash) etc...)

Nightwing Should be leader of Teen Titans

Batgirl

GCS

Birds of Prey - Batgirl is part of BoP vs GCS with Harley

Harley Quinn solo

Harley Vs Joker

Joker origin

JL Dark - Pretty unique concept for a CBM with a bunch of heroes with quirky magical abilities

Black Adam Should be the villain of Shazam 2 and his origin told there

Deathstroke Should be the villain of The Batman movie