Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

36 minutes ago, dudalb said:

A. I don't think Aquaman has actually moved.

B. If it did, it was more to have more time to rake in the dough before MPR opens, then fear of Alita.

C. Ever think your over the top Cameron Is God And Can Do No Wrong routine is hurting your cause rather then help it?

A and B are wrong.

C? What on earth do you think my cause is. I'm not a shill I'm a fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WB/DC was liking what they were getting so much, they literally fired their director during post-production of what was supposed to be their biggest movie. I mean, depending on your sources, making under 300M on a movie whose budget flirted with 300M isn't a success.

3 hours ago, SteveJaros said:

You're ignoring more context than I am, by throwing out the other three DC films i mentioned to focus only on Justice League.

Look at the last two years in toto, and over four films, Disney/Marvel has a whopping ... $46 million DOM edge. You can try to spin that into something big all you want, but that dollar figure won't budge. 

If you want to say Disney/Marvel has swamped WB/DC the last six months, well the numbers support that. But that's not the claim i objected to. 

On the other hand if you add in Black Panther the average of the last 4 Disney/Marvel movies, Dr. Strange, GotG 2, Thor 3, BP the average is over 400mil. Hell the 3 marvel movies released this year have a non insignificant chance of out grossing the entire DCEU before Aquaman.

4 hours ago, SteveJaros said:

You're ignoring more context than I am, by throwing out the other three DC films i mentioned to focus only on Justice League.

Look at the last two years in toto, and over four films, Disney/Marvel has a whopping ... $46 million DOM edge. You can try to spin that into something big all you want, but that dollar figure won't budge. 

If you want to say Disney/Marvel has swamped WB/DC the last six months, well the numbers support that. But that's not the claim i objected to. 

So by pointing out that you're 300M dollar budget movie, only barely made 200 is less context than your putting out DOM averages? How about we look at the WW AVG of Marvel/Disney and WB/DC over the last 2 years. M/D 884M, D/W 775M. That's over a 100M more on average. Totaled? 3.5B for Marvel/Disney. 3.1B for WB/DC. 400M more.

How about, how much more did these movies make over their reported budgets? Domestically? 550M and 423M. Over 125M domestically more. Okay, WW? 2.7 and 2.2. That's about 500M. This of course is hard to say since it's reported budgets, and that makes it hard to really gauge shit.

By the way, all this is useless meaningless #s without any sort of context. That's my point. We can sit here and back and forth twist and turn these #s to mean anything we bloody want. That's your claim I'm objecting to.

Edited by RandomCat

1 minute ago, RandomCat said:

So by pointing out that you're 300M dollar budget movie, only barely made 200 is less context than your putting out DOM averages? How about we look at the WW AVG of Marvel/Disney and WB/DC over the last 2 years. M/D 884M, D/W 775M. That's over a 100M more on average. Totaled? 3.5B for Marvel/Disney. 3.1B for WB/DC. 500M more.

How about, how much more did these movies make over their reported budgets? Domestically? 550M and 423M. Over 125M domestically more. Okay, WW? 2.7 and 2.2. That's about 500M. This of course is hard to say since it's reported budgets, and that makes it hard to really gauge shit.

By the way, all this is useless meaningless #s without any sort of context. That's my point. We can sit here and back and forth twist and turn these #s to mean anything we bloody want. That's your claim I'm objecting to.

OK, now you're talking some real context - good on you.

The bottom line is that $3.5B vs $3.1B WW figure you quote. That's a $100m average advantage for D/M over WB/DC. That's something. But let's face it, $3.1 B is pretty close to $3.5 B, especially when the former is allegedly so darn worse than the latter. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, SteveJaros said:

OK, now you're talking some real context - good on you.

The bottom line is that $3.5B vs $3.1B WW figure you quote. That's a $100m average advantage for D/M over WB/DC. That's something. But let's face it, $3.1 B is pretty close to $3.5 B, especially when the former is allegedly so darn worse than the latter. 

I'm not talking with any real context. That was my point. Did you read my post? Here I'll quote it for you:

6 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

By the way, all this is useless meaningless #s without any sort of context. That's my point. We can sit here and back and forth twist and turn these #s to mean anything we bloody want.

So yeah, you can keep putting forward these #s but they are literally meaningless in the manner you are using them. End of the day, the success or failure of either companies films are in each films profits. Which a blanket AVG of any of their films of the last 2 years DOM or WW doesn't give us. Your #s don't matter. My #s don't matter. They are meaningless in the context we are using them, because they fail to take into account how much profit each individual movie made, which matters more than it's total DOM. Movie A that made 200M DOM with a 200M budget didn't do better than Movie B that made 176M on a 4M budget. 

That's my point. You're logic right now is that Movie A is a bigger success that Movie B, which is very flawed logic.

4 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Justice Leagues, seems odd that we've gotten other movies but not that one.

A bunch of them, Annabelle, Split, Girls Trip, Baby Driver, Wonder, King Arthur, Monster Trucks, The Promise, The Great Wall and Geostorm

They didn't do a breakdown since it wasn't bottom five but they referenced it in the WW write up

http://deadline.com/2018/03/wonder-woman-box-office-profit-2017-1202351443/

The dichotomy between the success of Wonder Woman and the estimated $60M loss (per our sources) on Justice League caused an overhaul at DC films. 

• Astonished 1

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They didn't do a breakdown since it wasn't bottom five but they referenced it in the WW write up

http://deadline.com/2018/03/wonder-woman-box-office-profit-2017-1202351443/

The dichotomy between the success of Wonder Woman and the estimated $60M loss (per our sources) on Justice League caused an overhaul at DC films. 

Ahhh a 60mil loss, so for the 4 DCEU movies WB made a combined 455~ profit. Disney/marvel on the other hand made 644mil profit over the same period. 

So while Disney only made 46~mil more domestically they made almost 200mil more in profit 

Add 200mil to that if you feel like adding Spiderman to the total.

Edited by Ledmonkey96
  • ...wtf 1

14 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Justice Leagues, seems odd that we've gotten other movies but not that one.

A bunch of them, Annabelle, Split, Girls Trip, Baby Driver, Wonder, King Arthur, Monster Trucks, The Promise, The Great Wall and Geostorm

They did the top 10 profit makers of last year which Justice League was not obviously and they also did the biggest 5 money loser, something for which JL again did not qualify. They also did small movies that turned a good profit which again does not apply to Justice League. 

The only word we got about Justice League was that it lost about 60m with all revenue and expense stream counted in the Wonder  Woman page. 

1 hour ago, RandomCat said:

I'm not talking with any real context. That was my point. Did you read my post? Here I'll quote it for you:

So yeah, you can keep putting forward these #s but they are literally meaningless in the manner you are using them. End of the day, the success or failure of either companies films are in each films profits. Which a blanket AVG of any of their films of the last 2 years DOM or WW doesn't give us. Your #s don't matter. My #s don't matter. They are meaningless in the context we are using them, because they fail to take into account how much profit each individual movie made, which matters more than it's total DOM. Movie A that made 200M DOM with a 200M budget didn't do better than Movie B that made 176M on a 4M budget. 

That's my point. You're logic right now is that Movie A is a bigger success that Movie B, which is very flawed logic.

Your notion of 'profit' being the benchmark isn't necessarily best. That's what matters to the movie studios, of course, but that's not you or me, at least it's not me. When I think of the success of a film, it also includes how popular the film was, how many dollars it generated, irrespective of the extent to which that revenue covered their costs.  That's what i care most about, as I'm not someone with $20m in Warner's or Disney stock. 

So to me, a film that does $300m DOM with profits of $50m (because it cost a lot to make) is "bigger" and "more successful" than a movie that does $180m DOM, with $100m profit because it was a cheap horror film with very low costs. 

Last few days in Marvel and DC movie news come to my mind an old saying I’ve heard from New York football fans: 

Jets win the front page but it’s the Giants who win the championships.

I let the hype get to me for a small moment, then I snapped back to reality.

I thought maybe just maybe IW could be high quality but I feel dumb fir thinking that now.

Russo brothers did CA:WS and CA:CV which were both subpar blockbusters and we're 98 marvel films on and without fail every film is the same formula,poor quality directing and are completely uninspired. You would think with the gaint budgets they would bush some boundries on whats capable, maybe they use all their 500m+ budgets on advertisements lol.

The Marvel craze honestly bewilders me.

Edited by IronJimbo