Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

20 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

legit tho you KNOW the folks at wb are all like "I really don't get it. what are we doing wrong here?"

Man, that's the bad thing with this opening. You know they have tons of people there trying to brainstorm new ideas when DCEU just needs to start over with Wonder Woman included. Take their time. It's obviously not a fad that's going anywhere but I don't know how much bigger it can actually get from IW/A4. Maybe the addition of F4 and Xmen?

Batman V Superman was the dumbest thing they could have done considering the library of cool Batman villains they could have chosen.

Edited by somebody85

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

I think DC has abandonned the idea of an extended universe it seems so ...

In Hollywood? After these numbers? If there was any thought of abandoning it, I would bet that there are people there who will try to make it a reality again.

15 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Then why the hell would Avater 2 make over 200M DOM OW? You just contradicted yourself from earlier. You just said what I did.

Because it will not be an original movie ?

Has for Cameron ever having the record, I do not think T2 made it:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/pastrecords.htm

Batman record was quite high at 40m, T2 made 31.76m

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Because it will not be an original movie ?

Has for Cameron ever having the record, I do not think T2 made it:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/pastrecords.htm

Batman record was quite high at 40m, T2 made 31.76m

By now, it kind of is in that same ball park though. It's not a huge franchise (at least DOM). I almost compare it to like Blade Runner or Pacific Rim as far as being culturally relevant. It's not Aliens. And speaking of T2. Like I said in the OW thread, I would bet on Terminator 6 having a bigger OW than Avatar 2 if everything goes right. I guess that's supposed to be a direct sequel to T2.

Nostalgia sells. It's proven time and time again and year after year. If Linda Hamilton can get in shape for that and Cameron does have involvement, that could break out.

Avatar just doesn't have that type of pull to cause people to rush out and see it. And speaking of Orlando...I don't believe it's doing anywhere close to the numbers that Wizarding World did at Islands Of Adventure.

Edited by somebody85

7 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

By now, it kind of is in that same ball park though. It's not a huge franchise (at least DOM). I almost compare it to like Blade Runner or Pacific Rim as far as being culturally relevant. It's not Aliens.

Not sure about that, even in the US alone:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F0bth54,%2Fg%2F1236m_18,%2Fm%2F067ghz,%2Fm%2F07ghq

Avatar continued to be in the top 100 bluray sellers in the US every year until 2015, 5 year's into is home ent release:

https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/bluray-sales/2015

13 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Avatar just doesn't have that type of pull to cause people to rush out and see it

It should be way less fan boy, OW culture to be able to watch youtube videos and talk online about it, that is true.

But I doubt it will be original movie sci-fi/adventure ball park, specially if it is bad it will not open like Valerian or Jupiter Ascending but much more like a strong IP.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Not sure about that, even in the US alone:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F0bth54,%2Fg%2F1236m_18,%2Fm%2F067ghz,%2Fm%2F07ghq

Avatar continued to be in the top 100 bluray sellers in the US every year until 2015, 5 year's into is home ent release:

https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/bluray-sales/2015

It should be way less fan boy, OW culture to be able to watch youtube videos and talk online about it, that is true.

But I doubt it will be original movie sci-fi/adventure ball park, specially if it is bad it will not open like Valerian or Jupiter Ascending but much more like a strong IP.

That graph is fair but there hasn't been any news regarding T6 in awhile and all of that could change real quick with the first teaser. Think of something like IT or Halloween later this year. It just depends how well the marketing connects.

I don't think Avatar 2 will open badly but a 200M DOM OW like some of these JC guys are saying just seems impossible to me. Every single film that has hit that point has had some big franchise attached to it.

43 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

i think they know what's wrong since they've been trying to find their kevin feige for years now. 

Why don't they just pay him a king's ransom when his deal is up next year? Hell let's remember our comic history when DC lured Jack Kirby away from Marvel Comics to do New Gods for them. 

35 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

In Hollywood? After these numbers? If there was any thought of abandoning it, I would bet that there are people there who will try to make it a reality again.

Considering how lack of focus has been a recurring problem for them, this makes sense. Nevermind upper corporate meddling/sabotaging in various ways. (Meanwhile look at how Phase 3 seems to be MCU improving as movies once Uncle Ike was kicked to the curb from the film division thanks to King Mickey.)

43 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Man, that's the bad thing with this opening. You know they have tons of people there trying to brainstorm new ideas when DCEU just needs to start over with Wonder Woman included. Take their time. It's obviously not a fad that's going anywhere but I don't know how much bigger it can actually get from IW/A4. Maybe the addition of F4 and Xmen?

Batman V Superman was the dumbest thing they could have done considering the library of cool Batman villains they could have chosen.

X-Men into the MCU will basically be like Spider-Man. A proven franchise draw that you can depend upon. FF they'll have to salvage like Spider-Man except even more daunting considering Spidey at least you could point to a golden period of good movies (2002-2004) while FF has never had that. I don't know if "bigger" is the right word as much as like a NBA team signing more star free-agents while the old timers (Iron Man/Thor/whatever) can take a breather on the bench until they're rebooted/recasted years later or become Special Guests Stars (like Iron Man has been the last few years. People forget sometimes that we haven't had an Iron Man movie in 5 years.) 

As much as I like to make fun of them or criticize them, long term they can be fine if they methodically make consistently decent (perhaps even more) pictures. Develop your IP roster, build a brand, make fans crave for team-ups/cross-overs, etc.  Don't hype up your DCEU leaders and credit them by name to an industry magazine for say WONDER WOMAN's success and then can one/demote the other after JL's box office. As much of a douche as Ike Perlmutter is, did he can Kevin Feige after THE INCREDIBLE HULK didn't do crap at the box office? Why no, and why would he considering that same year IRON MAN happened. 

Then again times have changed. I remember 2 years ago when DCEU fans bragged that their movies wouldn't be "jokey" and "not for babies." Cut to Cinemacon recently where DCEU pitched their slate as "family friendly!" Not that I have a problem with that at all, but I just wonder how those fans from 2 years ago feel about this brand development/evolution? (I mean let's be honest: conceptually of all their upcoming movies that are actually coming to theaters for real the next few years SHAZAM! is the most Marvel-y property on their slate.)

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

If that is accounting for 3D releases that makes sense due to the big boom of 3D TVs.

IIRC they packaged every Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player with Avatar.

6 minutes ago, RRA said:

Why don't they just pay him a king's ransom when his deal is up next year? Hell let's remember our comic history when DC lured Jack Kirby away from Marvel Comics to do New Gods for them. 

Considering how lack of focus has been a recurring problem for them, this makes sense. Nevermind upper corporate meddling/sabotaging in various ways. (Meanwhile look at how Phase 3 seems to be MCU improving as movies once Uncle Ike was kicked to the curb from the film division thanks to King Mickey.)

X-Men into the MCU will basically be like Spider-Man. A proven franchise draw that you can depend upon. FF they'll have to salvage like Spider-Man except even more daunting considering Spidey at least you could point to a golden period of good movies (2002-2004) while FF has never had that. I don't know if "bigger" is the right word as much as like a NBA team signing more star free-agents while the old timers (Iron Man/Thor/whatever) can take a breather on the bench until they're rebooted/recasted years later or become Special Guests Stars (like Iron Man has been the last few years. People forget sometimes that we haven't had an Iron Man movie in 5 years.) 

As much as I like to make fun of them or criticize them, long term they can be fine if they methodically make consistently decent (perhaps even more) pictures. Develop your IP roster, build a brand, make fans crave for team-ups/cross-overs, etc.  Don't hype up your DCEU leaders and credit them by name to an industry magazine for say WONDER WOMAN's success and then can one/demote the other after JL's box office. As much of a douche as Ike Perlmutter is, did he can Kevin Feige after THE INCREDIBLE HULK didn't do crap at the box office? Why no, and why would he considering that same year IRON MAN happened. 

Then again times have changed. I remember 2 years ago when DCEU fans bragged that their movies wouldn't be "jokey" and "not for babies." Cut to Cinemacon recently where DCEU pitched their slate as "family friendly!" Not that I have a problem with that at all, but I just wonder how those fans from 2 years ago feel about this brand development/evolution? (I mean let's be honest: conceptually of all their upcoming movies that are actually coming to theaters for real the next few years SHAZAM! is the most Marvel-y property on their slate.)

To me, DC would be smart to focus on Batman Arkham style of films. Do a few of those to build Batman up. Reboot Superman again or do MOS2 properly. Keep Wonder Woman and pretend JL never happened just like Sony has done with the ASM series. Aquaman....I guess we'll see. 

Edited by somebody85

8 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

To me, DC would be smart to focus on Batman Arkham style of films. Do a few of those to build Batman up. Reboot Superman again or do MOS2 properly. Keep Wonder Woman and pretend JL never happened just like Sony has done with the ASM series. Aquaman....I guess we'll see. 

Reeves is working in Batman atm, WW 2 goes into production this may/June, from what we’ve heard from test screenings and from a user on this site it seems like so far so good for Aquaman. Shazam is almost done production so we’ll see how that turns out. It seems like their next focus is on some female led properties like birds of prey and Batgirl, and I think we’ll have an announcement for mos2 by comic con. DC best bet is to focus on solo movies and try and put out crowd pleasing movies.

Leave the shared universe stuff to marvel. 

And from what I can tell it seems like since Snyder isn’t really involved anymore and Whedon “departed” Batgirl (lol), it seems like everyone at WB/DC wants to forget about JL. 

Edited by cax16

8 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

If that is accounting for 3D releases that makes sense due to the big boom of 3D TVs.

6 minutes ago, AJG said:

IIRC they packaged every Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player with Avatar.

Probably helped that everyone that got a 3d system probably bought Avatar in some way, maybe 2016 is when people stopped to buy 3d tvs.

19 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I don't think Avatar 2 will open badly but a 200M DOM OW like some of these JC guys are saying just seems impossible to me. Every single film that has hit that point has had some big franchise attached to it.

Obviously $200M dom is really far stretched, but it should still beat Alien Covenant OW even if it does not look specially good and not well reviewed (something non IP movie cannot do)

18 minutes ago, RRA said:

Why don't they just pay him a king's ransom when his deal is up next year?

Big producer have participation or first dollar gross point (and for Marvel that distinction does not really matter here, for almost all title it is a formality that it will turn a profit), with how much Marvel is making it could be really hard to match. Imagine if he is just making 2%.......... how much that would be a year.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1