11 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Underworld Awakening

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Grade: B

Overall I really enjoyed the movie. The movie did a smart thing by doing a 3-4 minute recap of events from the first two UW films. I was pleasantly pleased to see the movie start at a point not long after the "reveal" of vamps and lycans. Thus having Selene and Michael on the run. They did a good job of finding a very good Scott Spedman look-a-like. I mean really was his schedule so busy? No more than he was on screen for that sequence I can't imagine they needed more than a week with him...but I digress.

The first sequence when she awakens 12 years later was really good imo as well.

I didn't have any issues with the young girl they got to play her 11yr old daughter. All things being equal she did, at worst, an adequate job.

My complaints would be that I thought the first werewolves we saw, those emaciated living in the subway tunnels underground, had the least convincing F/X. The others we saw later and especially the Goliath Lycan all had a higher quality F/X it seemed.

The other main point of contention for me was that it seemed the Detective was very quick and too eager to help Selene. Besides those two points I overall liked the movie.

Bring on Underworld 5: Whose your Daddy

I saw this movie last night and it was actually better than I expected. Kate Beckinsale looked as good as ever. I was a little worried that it was gonna suck because all the badass characters from the other movies are dead(Lucian, Victor, and especially Marcus). This movie had some pretty impressive action sequences and some freaking awesome money shots(the 3 Lycans transforming while running with their clothes shredding apart and falling off, and the scene where the elevator falls on Selene, to name a few). It also had a interesting, and well done twist with the humans discovering both species. Selene's daughter was well done and I think will definitely take the torch from Kate Beckinsale in future Underworld movies when her character's story is eventually wrapped up. Bring on Underworld 5 IMO.B+

Better than what I was expecting but still kind of ho-hum for the first 45-50 minutes. Still the last act was entertaining and even though the story was somewhat weak and rushed (the total running time was a mere 75-minutes or so minus credits), it is probably the best of the series. Also, it's nice it gave us this shot:

Posted Image

So there's that (came from the Blu-ray, I just lightened it up since it's a darkly lit scene... imagine that) and Beckinsale is perfect for the role (more so than the obvious reasons).

***/*****, (C/C+, 5.8/10, 2.25/4)

Edited by TheMovieman

This was pretty fucking awful.

It was basically a DTV film, but I'll give credit where and when it's due......pretty impressive to not put any hint of a story, plot, or character development in a film, and for it to still run in under 80 minutes. I mean, Jesus.

Worst film I've seen in 2012 thus far.

D