Neo

Snowpiercer | Now in Theaters and VOD

When is it likely to come out DOM?

Unfortunately, no release date scheduled DOM yet. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if it didn't release until early 2014 in NA a la Bong Joon-ho's The Host. It's odd... Or, maybe not that odd given it opens in Korea 8/1. Even still... The marketing campaign's seemingly targeted soley at Korea. With positive early buzz followed by what's likely to be a strong opening in Korea, a DOM release date may surface sooner rather than later. Otherwise... Well, probably not.

This could break records in Korea. The posters are everywhere and its marketed as Korea's big break at competing with Hollywood properly.

Also the last time Song Kang-ho joined up with Bong, every record was broken. It's going to be a hit certainly (I don't want to be Wolverine in its second week), but nobody knows quite how big a hit.

But if D-War can make 7 million admissions, this should be able to manage at least 4 billion or so...

• Like 1

This could break records in Korea. The posters are everywhere and its marketed as Korea's big break at competing with Hollywood properly.

Also the last time Song Kang-ho joined up with Bong, every record was broken. It's going to be a hit certainly (I don't want to be Wolverine in its second week), but nobody knows quite how big a hit.

But if D-War can make 7 million admissions, this should be able to manage at least 4 billion or so...

Ah... Someone that gets to see Snowpiercer before everyone else. If you plan on catching it in theaters OW in Korea, please do lend some thoughts as what you thought of it.

I noticed that in the marketing campaign from the posters being English/Korean or, sometimes, just Korean. And the animated short being voiceover being Korean to Korean subtitles tacked onto just about every trailer.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Apologies if the review is rambly....

I will begin by saying I aim to include zero spoilers whatsoever which will mean I cannot talk about certain scenes or events but hopefully can keep things interesting.

So, the film is arguably both a masterpiece and a disappointment. There is both immense ambition and also a sense that Bong was playing it safe a little. Let me explain...

The film is set on a train. Apart from a couple of scenery shots, everything is on a train so for an action based film, you are kind of talking almost like the Oldboy Hammer corridor fight but extended for 100 minutes. the film is claustrophobic, congested and at times there is far to much happening in too small a space. There is also a fair bit of shaky cam work which possibly happened due to actors having no choice byt to bump into the camera. You really feel the whole time that you are on a train and it is done so well that at times it hinders the visuals.

I read a couple of US pieces that commented how the film appears to just be Ellysium but on a train (lets not argue about which idea came first...) and maybe there is a sense of that with the divisions of class and such. However this film makes decisions and takes directions I would be both shocked and in awe of if Elysium follows suit (and I really hope that turns out to be a great film). Even though the whole film is in English and is clearly made with the US market in mind, there is something truly Korean running through the film which could shock a few US audiences who may be less comfortable with the lack of respect for genre moulds and what a character is 'supposed to do' in a Hollywood film.

The visuals inside the train are great, some of the CGI is a bit dodgy for the scenary shots but the sets and direction are near flawless. The acting too was really surprisingly impressive. Chris Evans is immense in this and John hurt also puts in a great performance that stood about amongst a sea of great performances. Too often, English language films directed by non-English speakers (first language) turn out to be wooden and awkward, this really really isn't.

When I saw the trailer, the one thing that worried me was how 'bad' Tilda Swinton's speech seemed to be. I am happy to say that the full thing within the film is really well done and she adds some great comic moments to this, as does Jamie Bell and of course Song Kangho. Despite not speaking a word of English, his mannerisms and tone of voice when speaking Korean really steals the scenes he is in, it's extraordinary. I hope it translates equally to those that don't understand him.

Overall, I thought the film was great, although my Korean friend felt it was Okay. It seems that the main issue is that people were expecting something revolutionary and instead got something that has been done before being done again (even if it was done very well).

If i had to compare the film and its reception, I would have to say its like Spielberg in the 90s. The Host was Bong's Jurassic Park, Memories of Murder was his Schinder's List and then this was his Saving Private Ryan. A great and brilliantly made film that disappointed people at first because it was 'just a war film' and not genre breaking like the films before. However in time, I believe will will realise (like they sort of do now with Ryan), that it's actually a stunning piece of filmmaking.

It's well worth waiting for and part of me almost thinks that its release delay in the USA is actually down to Weinstein believing this has awards nomination potential.

• Like 3

I'm actually quite excited for this film, although on a surface level its premise seems to have strong similarities to Elysium, it'll be interesting to see which of the two handles the whole class system issue better. 

Edited by BadDevil

I don't like to say "I told you so," but:

Once news broke that The Weinstein Company had acquired international rights to Bong Joon-ho's hotly anticipated Snowpiercer, it was perhaps inevitable that the film wouldn't make it to Western screens unscathed. It has now been revealed that Harvey Weinstein has ordered the revered Korean cineaste to cut a whopping 20 minutes from his film before it will see the light of day in North America, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand or the UK.

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/08/weinstein-thinks-you-are-too-dumb-for-snowpiercer.html

This info seems pretty solid--the source is critic/festival programmer Tony Rayns, who has done as much as anyone to introduce Korean cinema to the west and apparently got the news from Bong himself. So unless the Weinsteins change their mind, be prepared to import an uncut Blu-ray/DVD from somewhere like Korea or France. Luckily, most of the film's already in English, so the language barrier shouldn't be a big issue.

Edited by Bob Violence

I don't like to say "I told you so," but:

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/08/weinstein-thinks-you-are-too-dumb-for-snowpiercer.html

This info seems pretty solid--the source is critic/festival programmer Tony Rayns, who has done as much as anyone to introduce Korean cinema to the west and apparently got the news from Bong himself. So unless the Weinsteins change their mind, be prepared to import an uncut Blu-ray/DVD from somewhere like Korea or France. Luckily, most of the film's already in English, so the language barrier shouldn't be a big issue.

Posted Image