grim22

Weekend Estimates: Bond 35.4M, Peanuts 24.2M, Coopers 8.4M, Martian 6.7M, 33 5.8M

11 hours ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Americans have terrible taste in film. 

I grew up on Peanuts, remember seeing a Peanuts movie in the theater sometimes around 1969 or 1970.  Always have been a fan. 

But, this movie is just "eh". Not really a movie per se but just a stringing-together of every gag in the repertoire. Except for the "Lucy yanks the football away" gag, and we get that in the credits. And that was done pretty well, btw. But this film just has no thought put into it, much less a heart. Pointless except to boot up a franchise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zackzack said:

True. I expect Peanuts to be that sleeper hit everyone has been waiting for. I expected at least 30% drop. That opening weekend number was good enough but this, this is just...

Thing is, Peanuts wasn't designed to be a 'sleeper' hit. It was clearly developed and promoted by FOX to be a big, mainstream holiday smash-hit movie. This was a holiday tent-pole for them, and something they hope will start a franchise.

As I said before, it struck me as disjointed. Kind of like that 2003 WB movie "Looney Tunes Back in Action" that was meant to boot up a Looney Tunes franchise. They needed to hire someone from Pixar to write a story  for the film. 

Slow expansion for Room. It's in danger of being in that Foxcatcher/Whiplash spot where it doesn't have enough momentum to really succeed in wide release, but also won't make much money just playing in a few hundred theaters for the next two months. Plus Spotlight and Brooklyn are drawing attention away from it now.