Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

Filled up all 10 spots.ArgoBeasts of the Southern WildDjango UnchainedFlightLes MiserablesLife of PiLincolnThe MasterMoonrise KingdomSilver Linings PlaybookWishful thinking: SkyfallEven more wishful: The Raid

I'd get rid of Moonrise, and Flight. But, I'm thinking Amour could get in, it only needs a very small group of very passionate supporters to get it.

So no one's pulling for Looper with its reviews? Yeah, I know it probably won't happen but at the very least it'll be this year's Drive.

I'd love to see it nominated, but it's going to be an uphill climb for anything major. I think its best shot is in screenwriting; it could be this year's "See? We're cool!" nod from the screenwriters' branch.

Honestly, if I had it my way, Looper would be very much in contention for the win in screenwriting, never mind just the nomination. It's insanely impressive that Johnson got a fascinating time travel story, a powerful examination of nature vs. nurture, legitimate character depth, strong moral ambiguity, and genuine tension about what would happen into one script. That and we could pretend it's also retroactive recognition for all the cleverness he put into Brick earlier in his career.

I'd love to see it nominated, but it's going to be an uphill climb for anything major. I think its best shot is in screenwriting; it could be this year's "See? We're cool!" nod from the screenwriters' branch.

Honestly, if I had it my way, Looper would be very much in contention for the win in screenwriting, never mind just the nomination. It's insanely impressive that Johnson got a fascinating time travel story, a powerful examination of nature vs. nurture, legitimate character depth, strong moral ambiguity, and genuine tension about what would happen into one script. That and we could pretend it's also retroactive recognition for all the cleverness he put into Brick earlier in his career.

Don`t forget Jeff Daniels for Best Supporting Actor. A showstealing turn like this earned William Hurt his BSA nom for HoV. I was instantly reminded of that perforemnce when he made his speach to JGL.

Wow! Time to change up my predicts again!

A couple of hours ago The Hollywood Reporter's Scott Feinberg posted news that the Oscar chances of Beasts of the Southern Wild have been compromised by the Screen Actors Guild on a technicality. The Fox Searchlight release "has been ruled ineligible for the Screen Actors Guild Awards because it was not made under the terms of SAG Low Budget Feature Agreement, which mandates the use of professional actors.

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2012/10/stunning_setbac.php