Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

This statement is simply not true. There have been many, many years back in the 5 BP days where one film got a BP nom and no BD nom.

Exactly I have said that many times.Before 2009 the last times it happened where all 5 matched:200820051981

1. Les Miserables2. Argo3. Lincoln4. Silver Linings Playbook5. Life of Pi6. Amour7. Zero Dark Thirty8. The Master9. The Sessions10. Beasts of the Southern Wild11. Django Unchained12. Flight13. Moonrise Kingdom14. The Impossible15. Anna Karenina16. Hitchcock17. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey18. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel19. Promised Land20. The Intouchables21. The Grey ( :P it's too good for the academy anyway!)

I'll go with Les Miserables, Argo, Silver Linings Playbook, The Master, Life of Pi and Lincoln as locks / near-locks for now. Other possibilities are The Hobbit if it's good enough to fill the blockbuster void, Django if it's an IB-like certain success, Amour if the academy loves it and doesn't get turned off by the unfliching harshness of the material, Flight if it fulfills its promise as Zemeckis' live-action comeback, Moonrise Kingdom as the summer indie hit which will remain one of the most critically acclaimed of the year no matter what, and The Sessions as a script and performance-driven, small but strong all-around The Kids Are All Right sort of film. At this point I'd be really surprised if some other movie I haven't mentioned here ultimately got in, unless ZDT and Promised Land are surprisingly great. So that should mean a minimum of 6 BP nominees with a very potentially hard choice of directors (I think Hooper, Affleck, Russell, PTA, Spielberg and Lee all have similarly strong chances right now, and what if QT and/or Haneke manage to muscle in as well?)

When should I start the thread for what will have the most nominations?

I don't see how it is possible for Les Mis to get anything less than the most noms. Musicials tend to get a lot of noms to begin with and this is like the mother of all musicals to have come out in some time.
  • Like 1

Yes I do agree-then again everyone was most certain Avatar would have a lot more nominations then Hurt Locker.Still should I start the poll?So far I have:Les MisLincolnHobbitLife of PiWhat else be good choices?

Yes I do agree-then again everyone was most certain Avatar would have a lot more nominations then Hurt Locker.Still should I start the poll?So far I have:Les MisLincolnHobbitLife of PiWhat else be good choices?

Possibly Argo. (Though I don't see it getting that many tech noms outside of editing and possibly cinematography)

Possibly Argo. (Though I don't see it getting that many tech noms outside of editing and possibly cinematography)

Definitely no, even if it gets a shit load of techs there's no way it'll get the most noms with only one and possibly no acting noms.

The Master, though may not be for long as it's stock keeps dropping. 3 acting noms, screenplay, prod design, editing, cinematography, editing and score.

The Master, though may not be for long as it's stock keeps dropping. 3 acting noms, screenplay, prod design, editing, cinematography, editing and score.

That would give it about 11 noms, quite amazing for a PTA movie. Though, I am loosing faith in Amy Adams, Picture, and some of the techs. I've already kicked PTA out.