Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

I could give you dozens of movies who had weak BO and made tons of Oscars.This argument is moot, tired,wrong and cliché.Get your facts straight please.

Moot, tired, wrong AND cliche? I guess I'll give you tired cause I'm a nice guy. If you think SLP can top out at $30-40M and have a legitimate shot against Argo, Lincoln or Les Mis in February, then I say God bless and good luck to you. You're gonna need a shit ton of blessings and luck.

Current:ArgoFlightLes M.Life of PiLincolnMoonrise (Just a feeling that this will be this years MIP)Silver LiningThat is a whole lot of L's! :P

You know depending on the number of nominees-it is possible we see a film nominated for director without a pic nom...

There are movies that can make little money at the Box Office and still compete at the Oscars and there are movies that can't. Lincoln could have made $15 million and still be able to compete because of the story and people invloved. A movie like Cloud Atlas can't, Life Of Pi can't and even a movie like SLP can't.

I have a feeling this will be like 2010 where I really love a lot of the films and wouldn't mind any of them winning. SLP is this year's Fighter for me. The Master is Black Swan, Argo is TSN (I really didn't love it until after the Oscars), Lincoln will probably The King's Speech. Ok, I'm gonna stop now.

Argo's peaked. I think that being still about 4.5 months out that Lincoln could possibly peak too early along with SLP. I'm thinking Zero Dark Thirty, Life of Pi, Django, and Les Miserables are in a much better position time wise than Lincoln.

I don't like Les Mis' chances as much as before. Django really has no chance at BP. ZDT is probably in barring disaster. Ang Lee is in from reviews and film.Bigelow is head of directors branch at AMPAS. Everybody loves AffleckRussell has crowdpleaser and takes risks in a genre known for safety.And Spielberg is Speilberg with an zeitgeist film.If Les Mis misses director, it will be dangerous to it's Oscar chances and a sweep is out of the question.

SLP should get great WOM to land as a 'frontrunner'. My audience loved it, and it seems others are as well. Really hope this film can ride momentum to Oscar night.

It depends on rollout. It could easily become frontrunner in Dec if it catches fire this weekend. But right now, realistically, it is lagging behind Lincoln and Argo.

It depends on rollout. It could easily become frontrunner in Dec if it catches fire this weekend. But right now, realistically, it is lagging behind Lincoln and Argo.

I hate to keep repeating it: It's all about box office now. If SLP wants to be one of the serious players, it needs to make bank.

All true. Weinstein needs to buck up and expand this mother quickly. Expand while you have WOM on your side. I'd say next weekend or the weekend after.

I try not to attach myself to who wins/doesn't win Oscars but SLP winning seems like such a waste to me in the same year as so many instant classics. It's a smart rom-com but not BP-worthy.

The only instant classic I've seen this year is The Master. Argo didn't do it for me. Technically The Master is the best film of the year, but SLP had more heart and I 'enjoyed' it more.