Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

It isn't good enough? How?You sound like the 60 year-old men in the Academy. The difference between "quality entertainment" and "exciting entertainment" needs to be closed.Like say from last year, The Artist may have had great acting and great direction, but to general audiences it was tremendously boring.From this year, The Dark Knight Rises may not have been the most realistic film, but at least almost everybody who saw it liked it. That is, the other few who didn't are cinephiles who just look for the good acting in their, instead of actually enjoying the film.This year is honestly turning out better...Argo was both quality and exciting entertainment. Same with Silver Linings Playbook and Django Unchained. Maybe not so much Lincoln, but I guess half the U.S. population enjoyed it.I'd like to see Skyfall get nominated for BP too. If I had to take one movie off of my top 10 list, it would be Beasts. I only put it on there because it (somehow) appeared on the AFI Top 10 list. Honestly, that movie was polarizing in my mind.

Even Going by this logic, Skyfall is still more likely to be nominated than DKR. Heck, I'd say with this logic, Avengers is more likely than DKR. :P

Maybe a better reason is that ZDT is too political...Bigelow keeps trying to say it's not partisan but critics keep shifting it left.

How can a movie about the biggest political points score by a leftist President not shift left? You bet that a right-winger wouldn`t want people reminded of that achievement. So of course that film-makers lean left since they wanted the story to be told, even though it techniclaly isn`t about Obama making the call but Chastain preparing terrain for it. But we all know that without that call, there wouldn`t be the kill. So... Leftist Hollywood must appreciate it. BOMB HOBBIT BOMB!

Even Going by this logic, Skyfall is still more likely to be nominated than DKR. Heck, I'd say with this logic, Avengers is more likely than DKR. :P

Maybe not the Avengers part, but the Skyfall part is definitely true. Not only did the AMPAS like it more than TDKR (which got a reportedly similar reaction as Lincoln at the official Academy screening at the Goldwyn) it's also much fresher on their minds as TDKR's Goldwyn official Academy screening was in July.
  • Like 1

My point was that general audiences seem to have a more overwhelmingly positive reactions to those two, compared to DKR's "It was good, but not as good as Dark Knight." Although, yeah, I'd think the Academy also would be more into Skyfall.

True, Skyfall's got some of the upperclass suave that TDKR doesn't have but most Oscar films do.
  • Like 1

Skyfall? Come on. It was a fun light action movie, but nothing profound or moving. Realistically, it shouldn't even be considered; not because it was bad but because it will never be nominated.

I'm not saying it'll be nominated; I'm saying that anyone who thinks TDKR has a better chance than Skyfall's wrong.
  • Like 1

How can a movie about the biggest political points score by a leftist President not shift left? You bet that a right-winger wouldn`t want people reminded of that achievement. So of course that film-makers lean left since they wanted the story to be told, even though it techniclaly isn`t about Obama making the call but Chastain preparing terrain for it. But we all know that without that call, there wouldn`t be the kill. So... Leftist Hollywood must appreciate it. BOMB HOBBIT BOMB!

Except the film says that torture and other "enhanced" interrogation techniques were vital to obtaining the information leading to finding Bin Laden, the exact techniques carried out by the Bush administration that the "left" for years said were not only immoral but ineffective.

Except the film says that torture and other "enhanced" interrogation techniques were vital to obtaining the information leading to finding Bin Laden, the exact techniques carried out by the Bush administration that the "left" for years said were not only immoral but ineffective.

A torture scene really sounds off-putting. Couldn't they have gone around the obstacle instead of barrelling straight through it?

Why? Cause Life Of Pi, the most boring movie in the season is better than the vibrant DKR?Old man alert!

You realize Sims isn't in the Academy, right? He's not saying he is not voting for TDKR as one of the best films of the year, he's saying the Academy will not. And he's 100% right. And voting TDKR in would be like voting for Armageddon as one of the five nominees. Entertaining films, per say, but too many plot holes and inaccuracies to be a serious oscar contender. Edited by baumer