#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

1 hour ago, catlover said:

To be fair, TBBT makes Star Wars references all the time. Also Star Trek (a lot of times, I think Leonard Nimoy was on the show), LOTR, MCU movies, Harry Potter, etc. So of course it will be featured big time when SW7 opened. I'm not saying SW7 is not hyped, just that TBBT is not a good indicator for how big the hype is.

I also see TBTT's characters reference WB-owned comic books all the time, from Wonder Woman to Green Lantern to Lobo; how could a show about geeks not reference Star Wars? I fully expect them to acknowledge BvS once the movie is in its full-fledged marketing frenzy as it's about to open.

12 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

We already knew there would be a massive turn out for previews. It still broke the Friday day business record so we are unsure how front-loaded it is. We could probably tell you tomorrow after we get Sats' numbers.

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Also we know this has a lot of viewers waiting for the weekdays or holidays

12 minutes ago, Empire the Lesser said:

The weekend isn't over, so we don't know how front loaded it is.

AykWHUF.gif

• Like 2

Oh yeah baby!  Third viewing.  This time with brother and sister in law.  This Hollywood Beach/Aventura crowd was a lot more loud than the SF crowd despite being in a smaller theater.  Again looked like great crowd reaction.  Of course I was a pretty tired lol.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I also see TBTT's characters reference WB-owned comic books all the time, from Wonder Woman to Green Lantern to Lobo; how could a show about geeks not reference Star Wars? I fully expect them to acknowledge BvS once the movie is in its full-fledged marketing frenzy as it's about to open.

BVS is non event compared to SW. (still may gross 500 million domestic lol)

I doubt I will have my 60 year old female managers cracking Batman or Superman one liners or news programs have all Batman and Superman themed shows and having Leaders of the world geeking out to get special screenings of the movie.

As people have said domestically, Batman, Marvel, HP, LOTR, THG are popular but when it comes to SW its the granddaddy by far of fanbase. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

BVS is non event compared to SW. (still may gross 500 million domestic lol)

I doubt I will have my 60 year old female managers cracking Batman or Superman one liners or news programs have all Batman and Superman themed shows and having Leaders of the world geeking out to get special screenings of the movie.

As people have said domestically, Batman, Marvel, HP, LOTR, THG are popular but when it comes to SW its the granddaddy by far of fanbase. 

See, I have not said anything in opposition to what you are trying to tell me here.

What I said was just what you read: TBTT is a show about comic book geeks, sci Fi nerds, and other assorted genre fans. Of course it will have plenty of references aboiut SW and of course it will have references about WB-related properties.

This whole "my property is bigger than yours" narrative is truly exhausting. I love being passionate about what I enjoy and I am ecstatic about SW fans enjoying this historic moment, but every time I read the whole "X film is a non-event next to this/X film will never get close to this/nobody cares about Xfilm/this property is better than X property," I roll my eyes. Everything has got to be a competition and a battle!! 

Of course this opening  (and potentially this run) is going to make every other blockbuster feel like a "flop"... that is the one thing I don't like about this whole box office stats affair...the more records we see broken, the more jaded we get and the more we'll slap "disappointment" and "flop" on every blockbuster that doesn't open with 57 million dollar previews.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

3x is worst case for SW7. 

There's zero true competition for families/teens until Jan 29 - its 7th weekend. 

There's nothing major opening next week,  now that Joy has middling reviews and its Oscar chances are gone.

Christmas Day and New Years Day will keep its 2nd and 3rd weekends at sub-50%. And if it gets some Oscar buzz, it should hold decent enough in Jan/Feb.

If JW made it in June, SW7 won't miss it in the most back loaded BO period of the year. 

I'm thinking 3.75x-4x

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

68 (stays flat)

51 -24%

244 Weekend

100 million 4 weekdays

114 -53%

458 million in 10  days?

Ultron done in  a week? 

My predictions are not optimistic? 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

68 (stays flat)

51 -24%

244 Weekend

100 million 4 weekdays

114 -53%

458 million in 7 days?

Ultron done in  a week? 

My predictions are not optimistic? 

Actually a little conservative with how big the 2nd weekend drop is. Weekdays are also kinda soft, considering at least two will be at around $30 million. 

:D 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

Actually a little conservative with how big the 2nd weekend drop is. Weekdays are also kinda soft, considering at least two will be at around $30 million. 

:D 

Yeah I was about to post that. Pretty conservative by Lordmandeep. I'm expecting strong holds for next few weeks. 500M+ by next Sunday and 700 by following Sunday.

• Like 1