Wrath

BOT User Tracking 12/25-27 Big Short (wide), Concussion, Daddy's Home, Joy, Point Break,

Was that as good for you as it was for me? I hope so, because it was really good for me. Lets all just take another moment and enjoy how great last weekend was.

Ahhhhhhhh.

Ok, that's enough. I think we actually had a pretty good predicting weekend, though we'll see what the actuals say.   In factoid fun, it wasn't our biggest predictor turn-out ever (I'm doubtful we'll ever beat our very first weekend on that score), but it was the biggest since the 9/18 Black Mass/Scorch Trials weekend which itself was our biggest weekend since early August.

Now, back to the normal, day-to-day levels of box office prediction fun. This week we've got a lot of stuff coming out, some of which are pretty interesting. I'm including The Big Short going wide as punchy enough to include unless someone knows that its "going wide" to like 150 theaters or something. On the other hand, Hateful Eight is only opening in 100 theaters (and even that's subject to a fair bit of wrangling) so its not included.

Please provide your 12/25-12/27 Opening Weekend predicts for:

Big Short

Concussion

Daddy's Home

Joy

Point Break

Deadline will be sometime between Wednesday 5 pm (EST) and Thursday morning (EST), depending on when I get to it.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

The Christmas openers are looking like a pretty muted bunch this year, despite having the starriest line-up for the frame in years. We have new movies with Will Smith, Brad Pitt, Jennifer Lawrence, Will Ferrell, Christian Bale, Mark Wahlberg, and Steve Carell, and yet there's a strong chance not a single one will reach a $20M opening. Meh.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Christmas openers are looking like a pretty muted bunch this year, despite having the starriest line-up for the frame in years. We have new movies with Will Smith, Brad Pitt, Jennifer Lawrence, Will Ferrell, Christian Bale, Mark Wahlberg, and Steve Carell, and yet there's a strong chance not a single one will reach a $20M opening. Meh.

So pretty much the same as the Wolf of Wall Street/Walter Mitty/47 Ronin weekend from 2 years ago?

6 hours ago, department store basement said:

So pretty much the same as the Wolf of Wall Street/Walter Mitty/47 Ronin weekend from 2 years ago?

Yeah. Though I think any of these films would be delighted to have Wolf's legs, and I think Point Break wouldn't be sad with 47 Ronin's run, such as it was.

50 minutes ago, filmlover said:

All of the openers are getting one screen everywhere around me this weekend. Considering the amount of space available, that could also cut into grosses.

Of the two theaters closest to me Concussion, Daddy's Home, and Joy are only playing on one screen each in one of the theaters. Point Break at least is playing in both.