baumer

Star Wars Tuesday - 37.3M (Tele/baumer bet for Wednesday drop is on page 24...much to learn one of them still has)

15 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

He said Friday proper, which excludes Thursday previews. Friday proper was $62.1m compared to $63.45m for JW

Star wars narrowly beat the friday record of JW. SW collected $63.5m as opposed to JW collecting $63.4m. 

2 hours ago, Baumer Fett said:

Me and Tele just made a bet.  I say it drops 5% or less....he has it at 17%, the middle number here is 11%.  Whoever is closer is declared the winner and the loser will donate $25.00 to the site towards the 2016 goal.

Much to learn you still have, Tele.

My prediction is $33.8 million - which would be just over 9%. So what I'm saying is.....

Congratulations on your victory Baumer! :D

9 minutes ago, Elessar said:

When the excitement of seeing the old cast again dies down and the realization kicks in that TFA is just a rehash of old Star Wars cliches, the hype will die down. Mark my words! :sweat:

When the excitement of seeing the film in 3D dies down and the realization kicks in that Avatar is just a rehash of Dances With Wolves in space, the hype will die down. Mark my words! :sweat:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Will Smith isn't a proven bet anymore, after After Earth or heck Focus. 

I'm sure he's still a draw when paired with an appealing film around him. I think he's a big reason Focus did as much as it did.

2 minutes ago, smerfy01 said:

When the excitement of seeing the film in 3D dies down and the realization kicks in that Avatar is just a rehash of Dances With Wolves in space, the hype will die down. Mark my words! :sweat:

I think you mean Disney's Pocahontas:

1dNaYzaSeGx3yu0BCslx_original.jpg

P.S.: I like Avatar, but I couldn't resist. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I'm sure he's still a draw when paired with an appealing film around him. I think he's a big reason Focus did as much as it did.

Of course, this is true of most actors this day, and Focus did less then After Earth, anyway, just with better legs. Concussion doesn't look like its anything special. It should do okay. 

Just now, DAJK said:

Wednesday - $32M

Thursday - $30M

Second Weekend - $140M possible?

(I have no clue I'm just spitballing here)

200 would be possible with a 30m Thursday . No way it has a 30m Thursday though, that's Xmas eve. Drop will be at least 30% from Wednesday. 

• Like 1

I have a question for more knowledgeable box office trackers.

Is there a particular reason you think Star Wars didn't beat out Jurassic World for Friday proper or Saturday? Originally I thought it was due to the insane previews number but then Sunday beat the record by $3 million and the weekdays are blowing away the previous records. I know Saturday was a shopping day but Sunday was as well and it didn't have any trouble there (plus Sunday is church and the NFL). Any thoughts?

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Guys, TFA broke the Friday record but did NOT break the Friday proper record. Why are some trying to argue with facts? You're going to come off like you don't understand box office. 

People get way too defensive about this stuff. The fact it made $62m Friday proper after $57m previews is incredible. 

TDK didn't break the Friday proper record or Saturday record of SM3 but it destroyed SM3 by almost $200m at the domestic box office. The same will happen with TFA. Didn't get the Friday proper and Saturday records but will beat JW by $200m or MORE at the domestic box office. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

People get way too defensive about this stuff. The fact it made $62m Friday proper after $57m previews is incredible. 

TDK didn't break the Friday proper record or Saturday record of SM3 but it destroyed SM3 by almost $200m at the domestic box office. The same will happen with TFA. Didn't get the Friday proper and Saturday records but will beat JW by $200m or MORE at the domestic box office. 

As far as I'm concerned, that Monday number is one of the most impressive box office records of this century so far. We'll see what it does this weekend, but that may be the most impressive day in its whole run. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

I have a question for more knowledgeable box office trackers.

Is there a particular reason you think Star Wars didn't beat out Jurassic World for Friday proper or Saturday? Originally I thought it was due to the insane previews number but then Sunday beat the record by $3 million and the weekdays are blowing away the previous records. I know Saturday was a shopping day but Sunday was as well and it didn't have any trouble there (plus Sunday is church and the NFL). Any thoughts?

I could probably say a million different things to explain it, but box office moves in mysterious ways is the best answer. We can model and project all we want, but a lot of times weird stuff happens. But yeah Saturday is the 2nd biggest shopping day of the year, while Friday had a ton of demand burned off the night before. The Sunday hold is outstanding, but there isn't one explanation for how it performed any days over the weekend.

• Like 1